the books we read

Started by wellfleet, Apr 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkW

Just wrapping up James Joyce's Dubliners and am about to start Catch-22.  

Went to the used bookstore and came home with The Portrait of Dorian Gray and Heart of Darkness, so that was great.  

I analysed Dubliners at school in English Lit, so it was pretty much ruined forever.

I read Catch 22 when I was 14, and it made a real impression on me.  It captures the madness of war, and those who manage it, perfectly.

Heart of Darkness is one of my all-time favourites.  Short, but good - Conrad writes beautiful dense prose.

I'm still reading The Siege of Krishnapur.  Don't have much time for anything other than work and sleep at the moment.  :(
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

MMJ_fanatic

I just finished an excellent one by Robert Spencer of Jihad Watch--Religion of Peace? Why Christianity is and Islam Isn't.  I recommend everyone read this one.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

IHL

I'm reading 'Elephant' a collection of short stories by Raymond Carver.

Excellent so far. I think it's some of the last stuff he wrote before he died in 1988.

Angry Ewok

Just finished Farewell to Arms. Could have skipped the last chapter.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

mjkoehler

I'm not reading anything intellectually stimulating. I'm close to finished the Twilight series. I have greatly enjoyed it. I like to read to be entertained, and this has entertained the hell out of me.

Angry Ewok

Starting tomorrow, For Whom The Bell Tolls. I've never read it, so I'm excited to start rolling.

Penny Lane

QuoteStarting tomorrow, For Whom The Bell Tolls. I've never read it, so I'm excited to start rolling.

think you'll like it better than AFTA :)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Angry Ewok

Don't get me wrong, it was a great, exhilarating book... except for the last chapter.

red

QuoteDon't get me wrong, it was a great, exhilarating book... except for the last chapter.
I knew that was coming for a good portion of the novel and dreaded finally reading it.  Still love the entire thing, last chapter included.

easy way

'A New Earth' - Eckhart Tolle

'Siddhartha' - Hermann Hesse

'The Metamorphosis and other stories' - Franz Kafka

'Thus Spoke Zarathustra' - Friedrich Nietzsche

"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

ycartrob

Quote'A New Earth' - Eckhart Tolle

bought it tonight

getinthevan

Downtown Owl by Chuck Klosterman
The Waste Lands by Stephen King
Wizard and Glass by Stephen King

Just picked up A Dull Roar: What I Did On My Summer Deracination 2006 by Henry Rollins.  
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

easy way

Quote'A New Earth' - Eckhart Tolle

bought it tonight

let me know what you think...have you read 'The Power of Now'?
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

tomEisenbraun

About a hundred pages into Cormac McCarthy's The Road. Completely enraptured by it. I started reading it at work (Border's) the other day even though we're "not allowed to" read behind the counter. Somehow made my way fifty pages in by the end of work today and realized I pretty much needed to go ahead and buy it, because I was starting to dog-ear pages with things I wanted to go back and take a second look at later after I've finished it.

Really loving it. Thinking it might not be as hard as I thought to read the things I want to while I'm finishing up my English major. Screw school, I'm just going to read what I want to and let the details sort themselves out. Plus, there's a good chance this one will come into play in a course next semester.

Anyone else read this one? Anyone else catch the See Rock City toward the beginning and know exactly which building with ten foot letters he was talking about just north of Chattanooga as you're driving down into the city?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

xmascriminal

I'm reading A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers right now and I'm pretty sure it's my favorite book.

tomEisenbraun

Just finished The Road. What a desolate and beautiful book.

red

QuoteJust finished The Road. What a desolate and beautiful book.
Perfect description of an absolute treasure.

tomEisenbraun

I sat down at page 109 with the intention of reading a little before doing homework and finished it about two hours later.

I checked someone out at Border's yesterday and they saw I was reading it and told me "God, that book is fucked up." I was expecting something seriously hideous to happen, but it never did. Not that they don't run into some god-awful trouble and not that it isn't absolutely flooring at times, but I think that's completely the wrong way to describe the book to somebody. I think I'll stick with "desolate and beautiful".

The end made me cry. I'm okay with any media that does that to me, and I can't not call it beautiful because of that.

Angry Ewok

QuoteJust finished The Road. What a desolate and beautiful book.
Perfect description of an absolute treasure.

I've read a TON of books this year, but my thoughts keep going back to The Road. We really need a spoiler friendly thread to discuss the book in detail.

MMJ_fanatic

I just finished the true horror story of Dave Pelzer A Child Called It.  At times both infuriating and sickening simultaneously.  I am really surprised this man's story was never made into a movie.  His progress from a horrid childhood is inspiring to say the least.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.