the books we read

Started by wellfleet, Apr 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weeniebeenie

I'm reading Conversations with Tom Petty.
I love it so far.
How loud can silence get?

meggha

I read The Bell Jar some a few weeks back, it's quite good
Same for Heart of Darkness and Leaves of Grass, though I'm not really into poems that much (only applies to Leaves of Grass here).
Are you reading Siddharta by Hermann Hesse?

yes, by herman hesse.
i just now finished the bell jar--wonderful!  Here's one of my favorite lines: "People were made of nothing so much as dust, and I couldn't see that doctoring all that dust was a bit better than writing poems people would remember and repeat to themselves when they were unhappy or sick and couldn't sleep."
and one more: "There ought...to be a ritual for being born twice--patched, retreaded and approved for the road..."
"Yeah, it's chaos, it's clocks, it's watermelons, it's everything."

Bumbeli

I found Siddharta to be very boring, I decided not to read any other work by Hesse after that one.
Anyone read "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man"? I've read about 120 pages and I really like it so far. Generally, Joyce is a pretty great writer, Ulysses is very good too.
Feelings hour, every tuesday morning.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli"]http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli[/url]

Penny Lane

i finished Twilight in one sitting last night--i was only going to start it but it's addictive. i thought it was going to be similar to the anne rice books but not as adult i guess. can't wait to read the other ones...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

mjkoehler

Quotei finished Twilight in one sitting last night--i was only going to start it but it's addictive. i thought it was going to be similar to the anne rice books but not as adult i guess. can't wait to read the other ones...
HA! yes it's an easy read, and strangly addicting.  :-[ One of my girlyfriends at works is hopelessly addicted.

the sun and moon

Quotei finished Twilight in one sitting last night--i was only going to start it but it's addictive. i thought it was going to be similar to the anne rice books but not as adult i guess. can't wait to read the other ones...

I bought a copy for $5 at slave-mart--I mean, wal-mart and it really is a very easy, quick read. The theme of it is really interesting but I HATED and could not stand stephanie meyer's writing. I may have actually genuinely enjoyed the book if the writing was half decent. I wasn't expecting Carson McCullers, but I wasn't expecting it to be that bad. But I think I'll go ahead and read the second  ;)

Penny Lane

I bought a copy for $5 at slave-mart--I mean, wal-mart and it really is a very easy, quick read. The theme of it is really interesting but I HATED and could not stand stephanie meyer's writing. I may have actually genuinely enjoyed the book if the writing was half decent. I wasn't expecting Carson McCullers, but I wasn't expecting it to be that bad. But I think I'll go ahead and read the second  ;)

i agree. it wasn't great literature and the style was geared towards 12 year olds..i guess it was 5 hour study break i needed or something...i was annoyed because i had that creepy actor w/the big forehead in my head the whole time (robert pattison or something)?

Angry Ewok

Recently finished up...

Shiloh: A Novel by Shelby Foote and Anthem by Ayn Rand

...now reading Night by Elie Wiesel and Firearms of the Confederacy by Fuller and Steuart

...and coming soon in the mail, The Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foote and Three Months In The Southern States by Arthur Fremantle.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

red

Went to my favourite used bookstore today for the first time in nearly four months.  Came home with these:

Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote (I've been wanting this for a long time.)
The Favorite Game by Leonard Cohen
Still Life With Woodpecker by Tom Robbins

I love used books (and cute cashiers).  

Angry Ewok

Finished Night and Animal Farm.

Now reading Firearms of the Confederacy by Fuller and Steuart and Three Months In The Southern States by Sir Arthur Fremantle.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Penny Lane

i just finished "New Moon" the second one....now not only vampires, but werewolves!! i have such a crush the vampire and the werewolf (Jacob), maybe also JJ and all hairy men? weird.

meggha

Every Dylan fan here has GOT to read "Million Dollar Bash", about the Basement Tapes. It also goes into a grand discussion on the infamous motorcycle crash of 1966 before discussing the making of the Basement Tapes. Well written and extremely interesting/thorough!
"Yeah, it's chaos, it's clocks, it's watermelons, it's everything."

mjkoehler

i just finished "New Moon" the second one....now not only vampires, but werewolves!! i have such a crush the vampire and the werewolf (Jacob), maybe also JJ and all hairy men? weird.
Ha!

Jbones72

I recently found out about the 33 1/3 series. I just finished "Exile On Main Street" #18. I also read "Gilded Palace of Sin" #61. "Village Green Preservation Society" #4 is next on my list.
Now reading "Faith And Fear In Flushing".... all about the trials that come with being a Mets fan! Nice way to prepare for the new season.

Penny Lane

finished 'love is a mix tape'

now starting 'tomcat in love' by Tim O'Brien....anyone else like him?

FACE

just started love is a mixtape hehe for a research paper.  the semiotics of the mixtape ah!!!!

tomEisenbraun

Currently working on and loving this one:

The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

weeniebeenie

Quotejust started love is a mixtape hehe for a research paper.  the semiotics of the mixtape ah!!!!
I read that about a year ago. It's pretty cool.
How loud can silence get?

Janet

Just finished "Columbine".   Was a fascinating read.   It was amazing to learn how much the media got wrong...

Jbones72

Just finished 33/1/3- Volume #4- The Village Green Preservation Society. About to start X-Ray by Ray Davies. Dave Davies has a book out that I want to track down. Should be interesting to see how they both look back on the Kinks years.

8-)