the books we read

Started by wellfleet, Apr 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weeniebeenie

I am reading a book called Ticket to Ride which is a travel memior about this lady who went around America on a Greyhound bus.
It's prettty funny.

Next is Chasing The Rising Sun.
And at some point I will finish Brighton Rock and start Anthony Bourdain, a Cooks Tour.
How loud can silence get?

mjkoehler

QuoteAnthony Bourdain, a Cooks Tour.
His whole collection is on my Xmas wish list. I have a mancrush on Tony. I totally want to eat and drink with him. Except when he's eating offal. Most of that shit is just nasty and him and that Zimmerman dude can eat my share.

TheBigChicken

Skydog The Duane Allman Story
Shakey Neil Young'sBiography
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Sassbox

I read A Cook's Tour and Kitchen Confidental and enjoyed them both, immensely.  I, too, have a crush on Bourdain...except for when he says things like "I hope it died screaming..."  Blargh.

God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

mjkoehler

QuoteI read A Cook's Tour and Kitchen Confidental and enjoyed them both, immensely.  I, too, have a crush on Bourdain...except for when he says things like "I hope it died screaming..."  Blargh.

THis week's episode he was in rare form

ophidiophobia

I'm currently reading the Dark Tower series. I also am going to read Born  on the Fourth of July after I finish the second Dark Tower book.

Sassbox

God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

AMightyCaporal

I'm reading this book called the strain

it's co-written by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan

http://www.thestraintrilogy.com/

About an outbreak that turns people into vampires
Its really friggin- scary and really friggin' good!

Guillermo del Toro directed Pan's Labyrinth and both Hellboy movies
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

Angry Ewok

Finished the third and final volume of Shelby Foote's Civil War: A Narrative. One of the best books (if you can call it that, being three volumes and nearly 3,000 pages) I've ever read. This is a lot like War And Peace in that after knowing these characters through the best and worst years of their life, it's somber when the book comes to a close. The book doesn't end when the Civil War ends, but instead paints a portrait of the veterans lives after the war.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

weeniebeenie

QuoteAnthony Bourdain, a Cooks Tour.
His whole collection is on my Xmas wish list. I have a mancrush on Tony. I totally want to eat and drink with him. Except when he's eating offal. Most of that shit is just nasty and him and that Zimmerman dude can eat my share.
I'll try (almost) anything once.
How loud can silence get?

Angry Ewok

Did I mention I'm reading All The Pretty Horses? Loving it, so far.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Love Dogg

Finished Downtown Owl last night and Klosterman IV today (started it a few weeks ago).  Both by Chuck Klosterman.

I'd read Killing Yourself to Live a few years ago and really enjoyed his voice, in the way he writes and thinks.  But these I read as a suggestion from Penny...and really dug them both.  Downtown Owl is a novel so it was pretty neat to read his fiction.

Check 'em out if your stuck on what to read (they're quick reads).  I guess I'll have to read Sex, Drugs & Cocoa Puffs next.  :)
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Soulshine

I'm re-reading the Conversations With God series. There was a part last night that reminded me of Dear God.
Because we're all in this together...

AMightyCaporal

My sister has been lending me this graphic novel/comic book series called Y: The last man

Its so friggin good!
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

ALady

QuoteDid I mention I'm reading All The Pretty Horses? Loving it, so far.

I read that a few weeks ago.  Thought it was really, really good.  Curious to see the movie now.  And starting Blood Meridian tonight.

I read the new Lorrie Moore book, A Gate at the Stairs, last week.   I don't know if I liked it as well as Who Will Run the Frog Hospital or Birds of America, but now it's had some time to sink it I'm realizing the different themes that were at work.  I probably should reread it later.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Planet Caravan

I'm reading the Hells Angels' chief Sonny Barger's autobiography,and it's splendid so far.The almighty '60s..

http://www.amazon.com/Hells-Angel-Barger-Angels-Motorcycle/dp/0688176933

NoVa_NoLa

Finally getting around to reading The Fountainhead.  I'm not the best at reading fiction, but I'm going to try to get to the end of this one.

Recently finished a book on Abraham, Hagar, and Sarah called the Woman Who Named God.  Was fairly interesting...definitely provided a tidy presentation of the founding of the 3 major religious branches.

Before that, I think I read a book about beer.  :)  It was basically a guide to understanding craft beer.  

Oh, and the LeBron James book.  Good, quick read.  Interesting insights (for someone who doesn't know much about him) in to what his life was like as he fell into being famous.  Still kicking myself for not going to any of the games between his team and Carmello Anthony's.  I lived 10 minutes from where the games were played.  ::)

dragonboy

Recently finished reading a Muhammad Ali biography (excellent but some pages were missing!) & A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (difficult subject matter at times but utimately rewarding)

Just started The Time Traveler's Wife but am finding the time jumps too much like hard work...does it get any easier (or I am just stupid?)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

mjkoehler

Just started The Time Traveler's Wife but am finding the time jumps too much like hard work...does it get any easier (or I am just stupid?)
I actually enjoyed this book. (as I told pennylane, I checked my man card at the door years ago) The jumps make more sense throughout as they thread a pattern and explain the story but do not necessarily get easier to read.

ALady

Finished Love, Janis and Sin in the Second City over the holiday break.  The former wasn't particularly well written, but it was interesting to read a first-hand account of Janis Joplin's life as seen through the eyes of her sister and the people who knew her before she was a star.  She seemed like a terribly troubled soul, so desperate for love and praise and acknowledgement.

The latter was pretty interesting.  It's a historical account of a famous brothel on Chicago's South Side that flourished in the early 1900s, despite the religious establishment's fight to shut it down.  Oddly enough, most of the city's politicians weren't too keen on closing it since they received thousands of dollars in bribes to keep it open.   ;D
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires