the books we read

Started by wellfleet, Apr 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

Currently reading John Dies at the End by David Wong. It's like Evil Dead meets Shaun of the Dead meets David Bowie's Scary Monsters  :evil:

It's Fantastic!!!

here's the trailer for the movie coming soon:

John Dies at the End - Official Trailer #2 (HD)
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

touchingmept2

I've been reading "Be Here Now"
It's a slight turn from books I've read before, but how interesting!
O0

The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

ManNamedTruth

I haven't read in years before now, currently reading a borrowed copy of Hunter S. Thompson's The Rum Diary. Hope to do some more reading after this as it usually comes in waves for me.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Jeff Murray

Finished Gone Girl over the weekend.  Very good He Said, She Said story, actually each chapter alternates between each spouse's story.  It took a little to get used to the style, and if you feel your interest waning at first plow through, it is worth it!

Just started Cormac McCarthy's "All The Pretty Horses", really need to adjust to his writing style, not even 10% through it and I'm trying to figure out who is saying what as he doesn't always make that clear (Or I'm just a dumb reader!   :huh: )
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

Penny Lane

Quote from: tdb810 on Jan 15, 2013, 01:24 PM
Anna Karenina.  Almost to page 1000, and never want it to end!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

i loved it..was a real tear jerker...

reading Larry Brown and Harry Crewes (my first delve into this)

also, city gals have you read Jen Lancaster ("Bitter is the new Black")..hilarious...i say city gals because it's completely relatable--set in chi-town but so much like NYC--i just ordered the rest of her books, quick reads
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Penny Lane

Quote from: Jeff Murray on Jan 29, 2013, 10:30 AM

Just started Cormac McCarthy's "All The Pretty Horses", really need to adjust to his writing style, not even 10% through it and I'm trying to figure out who is saying what as he doesn't always make that clear (Or I'm just a dumb reader!   :huh: )

my favorite McCarthy book--he's hit or miss with me----yeah, you'll adjust to the style -it's worth it!

LeanneP

A convo about Super Furry Animals reminded me of the gem Mr Nice by Howard Marks. For those who like non-fic.
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

Penny Lane

Quote from: LeanneP on Jan 29, 2013, 02:15 PM
A convo about Super Furry Animals reminded me of the gem Mr Nice by Howard Marks. For those who like non-fic.

read that years ago! did they ever make a movie based on that? good stuff..

LeanneP

I'm not sure. I know they were supposed to. I always thought Coogan would be good as Marks  :happy:

ETA: It was made!  And who played Marks? Former Furry Rhys Ifans!  I have to go find a copy of this pronto!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mr_nice/
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

ffghtrs

Currently I am reading Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card, and i am enjoying it, it's not quite what i expected but it's well done.  Other then text books the last book i read before Ender was American Gods by Neil Gaiman.  It was a wonderful fantasy read, a lot of fun.  I also enjoyed An Underground Education.
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

ManNamedTruth

Finished The Rum Diary a few days ago, it was decent, not surprised to see it went unpublished until after Hunter's death. Watched the movie after and it was absolutely horrible, they changed almost everything in the movie. Just started No Country for Old Men, as I want to begin to read some of the books that were made into some of my favorite films.

he.who.forgets

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Feb 08, 2013, 11:45 PM
Finished The Rum Diary a few days ago, it was decent, not surprised to see it went unpublished until after Hunter's death. Watched the movie after and it was absolutely horrible, they changed almost everything in the movie. Just started No Country for Old Men, as I want to begin to read some of the books that were made into some of my favorite films.
I enjoyed The Rum Diary but agree the movie was shit

Angelo

Currently halfway through Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. This guy was like a rock star with the way he partied and did hard drugs at the beginning of his career. Great read so far.

After this I plan to restart Catch 22 as I read the first quarter then inexplicably stopped. Dumb. When/if this happens to others do you pick up where you left off or start from the beginning again?

ffghtrs

Finish it from where i left off, but that is just me.
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

Penny Lane

my first venture into Harry Crews..

Jeff Murray

Finally finished Cormac McCarthy's All The Pretty Horses... this is one time I wish I had a Kindle!!  I don't know Spanish and I wasn't going to look up all the words in conversation... Sorry but I am the typical single language American.  I don't think I'm gonna finish the Border Trilogy... his style just doesn't grab me, maybe a little too much on the literary side for my simple mind!   :rolleyes:    Gonna watch the movie next weekend, he might be one of the few authors I'd rather watch the film adaptation vs reading the book!  It's usually the other way around!

Needed an easy typical book that is usually up my alley next and I chose Lee Child's "Die Trying"... 2nd installment of the Jack Reacher series, I got some catching up to do!  And no, the movie did not get me interested in this series... I laugh that Tom Cruise is playing the main character... or is that movie just a spoof? 
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

he.who.forgets

Quote from: Angelo on Feb 11, 2013, 02:51 PM
Currently halfway through Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. This guy was like a rock star with the way he partied and did hard drugs at the beginning of his career. Great read so far.

After this I plan to restart Catch 22 as I read the first quarter then inexplicably stopped. Dumb. When/if this happens to others do you pick up where you left off or start from the beginning again?
i usually start over but wouldn't with Catch 22.  I could not ever finish that book to start with.  Hated it.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Jeff Murray on Feb 15, 2013, 05:56 PM
Finally finished Cormac McCarthy's All The Pretty Horses... this is one time I wish I had a Kindle!!  I don't know Spanish and I wasn't going to look up all the words in conversation... Sorry but I am the typical single language American.  I don't think I'm gonna finish the Border Trilogy... his style just doesn't grab me, maybe a little too much on the literary side for my simple mind!   :rolleyes:    Gonna watch the movie next weekend, he might be one of the few authors I'd rather watch the film adaptation vs reading the book!  It's usually the other way around!

Needed an easy typical book that is usually up my alley next and I chose Lee Child's "Die Trying"... 2nd installment of the Jack Reacher series, I got some catching up to do!  And no, the movie did not get me interested in this series... I laugh that Tom Cruise is playing the main character... or is that movie just a spoof?

I'm currently almost finished with my first McCarthy book, No Country For Old Men. Wanted to read it since I like the movie so much. I think you'd like the book, he only uses Spanish words a couple times. I was thinking maybe Blood Meridian might be the next one I read by him.

ffghtrs

I must know:  What was the worst book you have ever read?

Mine Twilight.  I worked at a bookstore that did the midnight release parties, i had to be there.  So i finished the book in about three hours and wanted to gouge my eyes out.  Terribly written crap.  I am not the demographic but seriously go read some Anne Rice. 

weeniebeenie

Quote from: ffghtrs on Feb 21, 2013, 02:41 AM
I must know:  What was the worst book you have ever read?

Mine Twilight.  I worked at a bookstore that did the midnight release parties, i had to be there.  So i finished the book in about three hours and wanted to gouge my eyes out.  Terribly written crap.  I am not the demographic but seriously go read some Anne Rice.
I don't think I read past the first chapter. The main character seemed so spoilt. Based on that I'd say my answer is the same as yours.
How loud can silence get?