the books we read

Started by wellfleet, Apr 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkW

Yesterday I finished Shibumi by Trevanian.  It's a thriller with very little action, huge swathes of backstory and philosophical musings.  Not for everyone, but I thought it was great.

I am just about to start The Son by Philipp Meyer, and am very much looking forward to it.  American Rust was great, and the reviews for his new one lead me to believe he's done it again.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

weeniebeenie

Currently reading the new JK Rowling/Robert Galbraith book Cuckoos Calling. I like it better than the Casual Vacancy so far but I'll see how it ends before I make up my mind.
How loud can silence get?

wolof7

Elmore Leonard died. Very saddened by this loss.

Hombre
Maximum Bob
The Hot Kid
Road Dogs
Killshot
Pronto
When the women Come Out to Dance
Rum Punch
Out of Sight
Labrava
Tishimingo Blues
Raylan
Djibouti
Get Shorty

....Were all amazing books I've read by the late great, can't wait to discover more of his great works! R.I.P.

Btw MarkW, the Son is great!
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

lpkell2145

Quote from: LeanneP on Mar 28, 2013, 07:55 PM
I am currently re-reading Game Of Thrones.

I'm sort of reading book 3 of the GoT series. I put myself on hiatus.  I love the series but is dude just gonna kill of every character I care about?! Dang!

20 times I wish you'd understand...

Jeff Murray

Quote from: wolof7 on Aug 23, 2013, 06:20 PM

Hombre
Maximum Bob
The Hot Kid
Road Dogs
Killshot
Pronto
Rum Punch
Out of Sight
Labrava
Tishimingo Blues
Raylan
Djibouti
Get Shorty

....Were all amazing books I've read by the late great, can't wait to discover more of his great works! R.I.P.

Yeah, I'm just now diving into Elmore Leonard's books.  Sad to see him go...
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

wolof7

Quote from: Jeff Murray on Aug 26, 2013, 01:30 PM

Hombre
Maximum Bob
The Hot Kid
Road Dogs
Killshot
Pronto
Rum Punch
Out of Sight
Labrava
Tishimingo Blues
Raylan
Djibouti
Get Shorty

My recommendations at the moment are Killshot and Tishimingo Blues, the latter of which the author has stated maybe his favorite of his 46 novels
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Jeff Murray

Quote from: wolof7 on Aug 26, 2013, 05:51 PM
Quote from: Jeff Murray on Aug 26, 2013, 01:30 PM

Hombre
Maximum Bob
The Hot Kid
Road Dogs
Killshot
Pronto
Rum Punch
Out of Sight
Labrava
Tishimingo Blues
Raylan
Djibouti
Get Shorty

My recommendations at the moment are Killshot and Tishimingo Blues, the latter of which the author has stated maybe his favorite of his 46 novels

I have both of those sitting in my "To Be Read" pile, plus 4 or 5 more of his.  I got into his books due to the Raylan series he wrote, need to read When the Women Come Out to Dance and Raylan, haven't watched the TV show yet.  Also read Out of Sight, they actually did a decent job with the movie.  So I'm a newbie with his books but I'm already sure I'll dig most of his work.

Jeff Murray

Just started reading Reginald Hill's "The Woodcutter" last night, at 500+ pages I think this one will take me a while, but I'm hoping I get lost in the story and the pages just fly by!

ms. yvon

Quote from: bbill on Aug 07, 2013, 11:23 PM
I'll have to check that one out ms. y! I've got another good one for you, not baseball, just a great book though.

i'm in the home stretch in the current book i'm reading so i'll look for this one.
currently reading:
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

LeanneP

If anyone enjoys genre fiction, I just finished Justin Cronin's The Passage and it was really good. Set in the near future, it shows the dawn of an apocalypse and then the survivors' stories. Plus: monsters!  I won't give it away :)

It's the first of a trilogy. I just started the second book and the third is due out next year.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6690798-the-passage
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

parkervb

looking forward to reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.  I've read his more recent works but my friend highly suggested BM and is going to loan me his copy.  He described it as "psychotic" and that the Judge character makes Anton Chigurh (from No Country) look like tame by comparison.
Don't you ever turn it off

Jeff Murray

It took me over a month to finish "Woodcutter"... While I was somewhat busy, it was a chore to read.  Decent story but couldn't keep my attention. 

Recently read...

The Killing Hour - Paul Cleave... This was technically his first book written and was rewritten from a horror story to a crime/mystery novel.  If you like Paul Cleave's books you will need to read this as characters are used throughout his books.

When The Women Come Out to Dance - Elmore Leonard... A good selection of his short stories.  I got a preview of his "The Hot Kid" from one of the stories.  Some stories ended abruptly and some kept you thinking.

Raylan - Elmore Leonard... I like the character and the stupid criminals he writes about.  This seemed like a collection of short stories though that were tied together in the end.  Really set up a bunch of episodes for the TV show.

Currently I am reading Dennis Lehane's "Live By Night".  I like his story telling style, he usually captures my attention quickly.  This story is a continuation of The Given Day in that it follows the main characters little brother in this book who turns to crime.  Looking forward to getting through this one. 

Thinking of going back to another Elmore Leonard book after this one...

jimsflyingv

I sleep when I am dead - the dirty live and times of Warren Zevon (I just rediscovered him ;) means did not listen to him in a long time but now he is on constant rotation). Too bad he passed so early a truly talented song writer.

ms. yvon

i dig that a wide range of reading is represented here.  :thumbsup:
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

Jeff Murray

I am a little over half way into Tishomingo Blues... This one started out so scattered for me, plus with the vagueness of Robert it was frustrating at first.  Now as things are coming together I am enjoying it more. 

Thinking of picking up a George Pelecanos book next...

Also picked up a new author to me... Marcus Sakey... Read his first one The Blade Itself... good book, more of a thriller than a mystery.  Looking forward to reading more of his books.

I cam across this website and use it to find authors or books that I have not heard of in the crime/mystery genre.  A nice listing of the the award winners from all the award presenting associations.

http://awards.omnimystery.com/mystery-awards.html

touchingmept2

Just finished ?uestlove's book. It was full of insight from an artist that has lived through many musical eras.

About to start Morrissey's Autobiography.
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.