The Sweet Science Thread

Started by capt._headdy, Dec 06, 2008, 09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Wii Punchout is great!  I didn't know what other thread to put that.  Brought back so many good memories. :)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

TheBigChicken

The Devil And Sonny Liston by Nick Tosches
Send me a pm and you can have the book on one condition....when your finished you give it to someone else....great read
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

capt. scotty

Big fight coming up soon on HBO - Miguel Cotto vs. Joshua Clottey. Clottey IMO is 1 the most underrated welterweight and 1 of the most underrated boxers fighting these days.

Cotto has only won a fight or 2 since his loss to Margarito almost a year ago, and hasnt really faced anyone legit. Cotto is a pretty big favorite at -325, surprising for me because I wouldnt be surprised if he lost.

I wish I got back earlier so I could take Clottey +250, but Im just hoping for a great fight. Lets get ready to RUMBLE.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

QuoteBig fight coming up soon on HBO - Miguel Cotto vs. Joshua Clottey. Clottey IMO is 1 the most underrated welterweight and 1 of the most underrated boxers fighting these days.

Cotto has only won a fight or 2 since his loss to Margarito almost a year ago, and hasnt really faced anyone legit. Cotto is a pretty big favorite at -325, surprising for me because I wouldnt be surprised if he lost.

I wish I got back earlier so I could take Clottey +250, but Im just hoping for a great fight. Lets get ready to RUMBLE.

It was a good fight and I credit Cotto for fighting through that ridiculous gash over his left eye.  Clottey looked good enough but every fight I've seen him in, his lack of true power seems to be his downfall as he isn't a pure boxer but doesn't have one punch power to really hurt someone.  Nonetheless a good fight but Cotto didn't show me much either other than heart.  Talk that him and Pacman might deal is interesting.

I don't agree that Cotto is too big for Pacman but I guess it depends on the weight they agree on.  

Ruckus

Just watched the Froch/Taylor replay on Showtime and THAT was a GREAT FIGHT!  It was textbook Taylor but it was the 1st time I saw Froch fight.  What a clumsy, awkward fighter but what a chin.  

I recommend watching the replay on demand on Showtime if anyone hasn't seen it.

capt. scotty

QuoteBig fight coming up soon on HBO - Miguel Cotto vs. Joshua Clottey. Clottey IMO is 1 the most underrated welterweight and 1 of the most underrated boxers fighting these days.

It was a good fight and I credit Cotto for fighting through that ridiculous gash over his left eye.  Clottey looked good enough but every fight I've seen him in, his lack of true power seems to be his downfall as he isn't a pure boxer but doesn't have one punch power to really hurt someone.  Nonetheless a good fight but Cotto didn't show me much either other than heart.  Talk that him and Pacman might deal is interesting.

I don't agree that Cotto is too big for Pacman but I guess it depends on the weight they agree on.  

Ive had my doubts about Cotto, but I actually thought he showed me a lot in that fight. A few of the early rounds Clottey looked to be executing his gameplan to a tee, and despite Cotto getting that wicked gash, most of the last 8 rounds he really took Clottey out of any rhythm. Clottey's power is definitely lacking, but that guy is a tough matchup for anybody. Considering the cut Cotto had for 9 rounds and Clottey being very good defensively, I thought Cotto looked very good in maintaining a win there. That 116-11 scorecard was bogus though. Id probably even say the 115-112 one was too.

I think a Cotto/Pacman fight would be awesome.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

QuoteJust watched the Froch/Taylor replay on Showtime and THAT was a GREAT FIGHT!  It was textbook Taylor but it was the 1st time I saw Froch fight.  What a clumsy, awkward fighter but what a chin.  

I recommend watching the replay on demand on Showtime if anyone hasn't seen it.

Havent seen this fight because I dont have Sho  :-/

Never seen Froch fight but I figured JT wouldve been easy money that fight  ;D....his career is pretty much over.

Ruckus

This Ortiz/Maidana fight replay on HBO2E right now is sweet.

capt. scotty

QuoteThis Ortiz/Maidana fight replay on HBO2E right now is sweet.

I had this on my DVR and it was coming up next on my schedule so I figured you may have posted about this fight.

I consider myself a pretty avid boxing fan, and its hard to keep up with it like other sports because ESPN barely covers current boxing, but I had never heard of Victor Ortiz until the last couple weeks. I watched Friday Night Fights a few days ago and Oscar was ring side, and he pretty much called Ortiz the next big thing. Okay.

As for this fight, in the 1st I had flashbacks of Rafael Marquez/Israel Vazquez. Awesome. After that, Ortiz looked like he had the fight in hand after the 2nd. I dont know if after that he thought he had it in the bag or what, but nowhere in the fight did he show me actual skills. He never controlled the fight, never tried to hold Maidana off with a jab, and his defense looked terrible. Add in with that he didnt have the heart to keep fighting a fight he was still possibly winning on the cards.

Maybe he'll rebound big, but outside of his power, I didnt see one thing that tells me Ortiz will be near the top of whatever division he's at as long as he's facing legit opponents.

capt. scotty

As I just said, I was watching Friday Night Fights on friday, and I first heard of another fighter that night besides Victor Ortiz. That fighter is Danny Jacobs.

Unlike Ortiz, Danny Jacobs really impressed me. I realize his opponent wasnt as good, but I push that to the wayside until the future. Jacobs is a 6'1'' middleweight out of Brooklyn. 4 Time Gold Gloves champ of NYC. He looks small, or at least lanky for a middleweight, but he has the speed of a welterweight and based on what I saw he looks destined for some big time fights. He's only been a pro for 18 months, but he's 17-0 (almost a fight every month?! are you kidding me?!!) after this fight a few days ago, with 15 KO's. In the FNF pre-fight interviews, he even said his KO statline isnt his style and he believes he is a speed fighter and speed kills, and he definitely stuck to that gameplan in his last fight. The WBA actually has him ranked as the #8 middleweight contender already.

It happens very rarely, but this guy made me a fan after 1 fight and I definitely wont miss his next one thats on TV.

I looked for a highlight clip on youtube, but couldnt find any. This is only 1 round from a previous fight, but I think it displays his speed and ability very well. Dude has skills.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIfoctdTwTE[/media]

capt. scotty

Sad day in boxing. Arturo Gatti found dead in his hotel in Brazil. Dude just retired like a year or 2 ago and was only 37  :-/

FYI, ESPN classic is airing I think they said 7 great Gatti fights, starting tomorrow at like 6 or 7 PM. Im sure the Gatti-Micky Ward trilogy will be 3 of them.

Jon T.

Anyone care about Roy Jones anymore? Jamoie?  He's a home town boy so I still have to pull for him even though he should have hung it up abou four years ago. Should be decent fight though (jeff lacy).  

capt. scotty

QuoteAnyone care about Roy Jones anymore? Jamoie?  He's a home town boy so I still have to pull for him even though he should have hung it up abou four years ago. Should be decent fight though (jeff lacy).  

I didnt even know about this fight until 2 days ago. I doubt id even watch it if it was just on HBO or SHO, but $35 for it?! You gotta be kiddin me!!

RJJ is far past his prime. His biggest weapon was his speed, and thats long gone. Lacy doesnt have a big win on his resume, and has been unimpressive since his loss to Calslappy a few yrs ago. He's pretty much just a name.

Id expect RJJ to win

TheBigChicken

Lacy is a Tampa /St Pete kid. Fight should be pretty boring. Probably go the distance with Jones getting a decision and them both getting a PAYCHECK. Could probably catch it at a local bar but as far as pay per view numbers I would imagine this isn't a big seller.
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Ruckus

I thought Lacy's career was over three times.  Well this should do it.  He's got the hand speed of a super heavy, the skill of a barroom brawler and the brain of a Desert Tortoise.  Not good for a 168-175 lb fighter

Ruckus

Not forking over the cash tonight but I hope PBF gets his face reconfigured!

capt. scotty

I know my chances of making it a week without hearing who won slim to none, but here's to that. And I hope PBF lost as well.

Not having any TV will help hopefully

Paulie_Walnuts

Watched the PBF - Marquez fight yesterday. Love him or hate him PBF is one of the greatest boxers of all time. His speed and footwork is amazing.

That said, why do journalists keep going on about this Pound-For-Pound bullshit?

PBF is a great fighter at his weight. So is Marquez, but he was always going to struggle moving up two weight divisions to fight PBF. The same goes for Pac Man. Moving up that much to fight PBF will be too much for him I'm sure. He'll get the pay day, as Marquez did, but I think it will be one step up in weight too far.

If anyone can give PBF a fight it will be Pac Man, but if he were to lose I don't think it would really detract from his reputation as an all time great.

We should just feel lucky that there are still fighters like PBF, Pac Man, and Marquez around.
Paulie W

capt. scotty

Finally caught the PBF-JMM fight, what a disappointment. I thought PBF would win, but after being off for so long I thought maybe JMM had a shot. Not that Juan "Baby Bull" Diaz is a slouch, but Diaz was dominating JMM the first 6 or so rounds of that fight (I think he even got a KD in the first or second round), and it wasnt because he was a smarter fighter, its because he was faster, busier, and looked to have more power. Go up 10lbs or so to where the PBF fight was, and JMM's at an even bigger disadvantage speed and power wise.

Id like to see PBF fight PacMan eventually, and I agree, Pac would have a better shot at beating him since he has more power, speed, and is agressive. Or couse he still would have to connect though.

What I most want to see is PBF-Mosley, or Cotto. I want to see him against a legit welter, not PacMan. PacMan-Cotto should be a good fight. Clottey is a tought guy to beat, and Cotto looked very good against him. Cotto seems to be even better against smaller opponents. I wouldnt be surprised at all if Cotto beats PacMan, which would seriously deflate the anticipation of a PBF-PacMan fight. Id love to see PBF against my boy Paul Williams, but he's fighting at middleweight right now (and I doubt he ever goes back down all the way to 147).

I most want to see PBF vs Mosley though since Mosley isnt getting any younger, and is easily the most experienced and difficult fight for PBF at this moment. According to what PBF said to Lampley before the Klitschko-Arreola fight, PBF doesnt want any either.

(and after watching Vitali fight and dominate Arreola, I would seriously love to see the Klitschko's square off. They dont get any love because they arent American and there hasnt been a better than average HW since Lennox Lewis retired, but I think both are more talented than theyre given credit for. Vitali said he mainly came back for a rematch vs. Lennox - dont see that happening, but Id watch it if it happened).

capt. scotty

Just saw that the Paul Williams-Pavlik fight is off because Pavlik pulled out due to a hand injury...DAMNIT!

Cant wait for Chad Dawson-Glen Johnson II next week though...I think Dawson wins in convincing fashion this time.

Rumor is he might replace Jermain Taylor in the Super Six World Boxing Classic. Havent had any discussion on the S6WBC in here, but I think its a fantastic idea. You cant ask for better talent than what they got for it - Taylor, Arthur Abraham, Andre Dirrell, Andre Ward, Carl Froch, and Mikkel Kessler. Im actually surprised the undefeated American up and comers Dirrell and Ward decided to enter it with such stiff competition and not much of a resume.

The first 2 fights in the tournament were a couple weeks ago. Taylor already got KO'd by Abraham and Froch beat Dirrell on a SD.