The Official Disc Golf Thread

Started by talleshortz, Feb 19, 2009, 04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

There, I finally started it.  Now off to play 18 at Druid Hill Park. 8-)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Hawkeye

Nice!  I haven't played in awhile.  I might have to go play a round tonight or this weekend if it doesn't snow.  We have a pretty tough course here in Dubuque, IA from what I hear (I've only played 3 different courses, and ours was by far the hardest).  I've never played with the "proper" equipment really...I don't use all the different discs, putters, etc.  I just use one driver disc for the whole course.  I throw "underhand" for long shots and switch to the traditional frisbee-throwing motion for short shots.  I once came within about a foot of holing (in one of course) an insanely long and winding hole of about 350-400 feet, and I once played a round at -11 for 18 holes, but I think those were flukes.  Normally I play right around par, unless I'm playing a lot, then I might play around -2 or so.  How is the course you play on?  Is it wide open or really woodsy?  That's the only problem with our course...there are some thick woods and one huge valley that eats discs like crazy.  I think this sport should be in the Olympics...I'd watch it.  I bet there are some insanely good players out there.
We could.

ycartrob

you know, that's one thing I always thought I would enjoy but just never got around to trying. Maybe this spring.

BH

I love it!   Don't do it nearly often enough however.   I don't get nearly as pissed as when I play real golf.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

pawpaw

I haven't played for several years, but I used to have a set of discs and played pretty often. Mostly played at Aquatic Park in Berkeley and Golden Gate Park in San Francisco...I'm not even sure if I have discs anymore, and not sure where to play here in Sacramento. It is great fun though!
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

aMillionDreams

Quoteyou know, that's one thing I always thought I would enjoy but just never got around to trying. Maybe this spring.

Same here and apparently we've got some good courses here in louisville.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Bumbeli

I enjoy playing it alone most.
When there's nobody around and I can spend as much time as I want, just standing around, looking at the surroundings, take a shot every now and then, that's great.
Sometimes I play it with my father or my friends too, that's fun too, but I kinda don't really wanna talk when playing
Feelings hour, every tuesday morning.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli"]http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli[/url]

capt. scotty

Havent played near as much the last 1-2 years, but Ive been playing for about 9 years. I was actually pretty into from 2002-2004 and played in some amateur tournaments, ending up winning 1 and coming in 3rd in another. Now that Im living back in Pittsburgh for at least this coming summer, Im hoping to get out to my old courses a good bit. I used to live less than 5 minutes from what is supposed to be one of the best courses in the country (or was 5 years ago when I some a few pro tournaments played there). I only live about 15-20 minutes from it now, but thats a big difference from 3 minutes  ;D. Wish I played a couple of the courses in the Quad Cities when I lived out there Hawkeye, I love playing new courses.

And for the people who said theyre interested, I highly recommend trying it out. Not only is it fun and you can play as fast or slow as you want, but the best thing about it is its free (outside of getting discs). I think you also need to get at least 1 driver, mid-range, and putter discs - its essential for learning the game. You dont have to get geeked out like me and have 20 discs, but you should get those 3, though the nice thing about getting more discs is finding which ones best fit style/arm strength and figuring out which disc is best to use for certain throws based on how much turn it has, etc. Its really like having a set of clubs where each 1 is best for certain throws.

Ive tried plenty of discs and theres a lot I like, and a lot I dont which is why it helps to try other peoples or get more yourself. Ive seen even WalMart these days carrying nice Innova and Discraft discs. I think the best and most versatile discs Ive used are the Discraft XL (driver), Discraft MRV, and Innova Aviar (putter) and recommend getting those if youve never tried it or are a beginner. Its also good to get the Discraft's in Z Plastic and the Innova's in Champion plastic (each company's toughest material so your discs dont get dinged or bent). This site has sales on stuff on the time if youre interested:

http://everythingdiscgolf.com/

Also, if youre starting out stick with it because its actually harder than it looks. I was terrible at first and almost quit, but I stuck with it and it got that much more fun as I got better. My signature move is now doing the spin-o-rama for my long drives, gives me the most distance  8-)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

The DARK

BTW, if you have the funds, the Boss is an amazing disc.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Ruckus

QuoteNice!  I haven't played in awhile.  I might have to go play a round tonight or this weekend if it doesn't snow.  We have a pretty tough course here in Dubuque, IA from what I hear (I've only played 3 different courses, and ours was by far the hardest).  I've never played with the "proper" equipment really...I don't use all the different discs, putters, etc.  I just use one driver disc for the whole course.  I throw "underhand" for long shots and switch to the traditional frisbee-throwing motion for short shots.  I once came within about a foot of holing (in one of course) an insanely long and winding hole of about 350-400 feet, and I once played a round at -11 for 18 holes, but I think those were flukes.  Normally I play right around par, unless I'm playing a lot, then I might play around -2 or so.  How is the course you play on?  Is it wide open or really woodsy?  That's the only problem with our course...there are some thick woods and one huge valley that eats discs like crazy.  I think this sport should be in the Olympics...I'd watch it.  I bet there are some insanely good players out there.

Hey Hawkeye.  I actually started playing in my undergraduate days in Champaign.  It was weird because we had a nice 18 hole course in our arboretum just outside my dorm freshman year but tore it down to build a Japanese Culture House.   :-/  Tough for me but I guess it was great for me that the University did that, tea ceremonies...etc.

So they built a new pitch and putt 9 holer that I ended up honing my skills before moving.

My home course now is Druid Hill Park which sits right in Baltimore City serving as a classic divide of neighborhoods.  It also houses the Baltimore Zoo.

It's a straightforward 18 hole course that plays relatively open but trees are in play in strategic positions on every hole.  There are also 9 X holes in the deep woods that are rather lengthy and difficult.

Being in the city, it is pretty full year around and a great community has been built around it.  I probably play 2 rounds per week in all seasons though after work rounds are tough until there is longer sunlight.

Other great courses nearby are Rockburn Park in Elkridge, Seneca Creek in the west suburbs of DC, Patapsco State Park and Codorus State Park just south of Hanover in PA.  Codorus actually has a full 54 holes plus a mini disc course and has an amazing variety of holes, some with water in play.

And if anyone gets a chance to play Walnut Creek near Charlottesville, VA, the 17th hole is the most picturesque, daunting tee I've ever played.  Probably plays 400 feet from the top of a hill with the pin at least 50-70 below in elevation sitting to the back left.  A huge lake guards the right side that is always in play because of the elevation change and any gust of wind that high up.  If you rip it and get the disc going towards the hole, a little pond and mini waterfall protect the pin on the left side with woods behind it.  Awesome :D :D :D

It would be great to hear from all the players home courses :)

Ruckus

Quoteyou know, that's one thing I always thought I would enjoy but just never got around to trying. Maybe this spring.

Wow, you guys should really play.  It's such a relaxing game (can be very competitive), free (bring pets), and the people are all so laid back and kind.  It's like playing real golf but just the opposite ;D

Plus it doesn't have the steep learning curve that real golf has, the signficant others can play competently right away and of course it's a great excuse to go out and hike.

Love Dogg

Only went once, but LOVED it.  It's easy to feel good at it!  Can't find my own discs though...used that is.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Bigsky

We used to play every week in Missoula, MT at the Blue Hills. One of my all time favorite sports. I need to start up again. We called it Folf...[size=24]I SAID FOLF ANYONE?[/size]

capt. scotty

Wow, you guys should really play.  It's such a relaxing game (can be very competitive), free (bring pets), and the people are all so laid back and kind.  It's like playing real golf but just the opposite ;D

Man, when I was still in highschool we smoked sooo much green at the disc golf course. It was like mandatory at the bench at the first tee and the bench before the 9th hole. Kids from our school who didnt even end up throwing would go there and get blazed  ;D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Bigsky

Man, when I was still in highschool we smoked sooo much green at the disc golf course. It was like mandatory at the bench at the first tee and the bench before the 9th hole. Kids from our school who didnt even end up throwing would go there and get blazed  ;D

They are a perfect match...some smokin' and shootin'

The DARK

Home course (for now) is Trophy Lakes. Rather long, with loads of water, but relatively flat and open. I'll see if I can find a pic of myself playing there. I want to play for bag tags at some point, but I'd feel kind of low stealing them away to Ohio with me.

South Carolina has excellent disc golf. I know a guy up near Columbia who actually opened up his own course named Stoney Hill on his property, and it spares no one. It has holes perched on the side of a hill, holes littered with OB, a hole in the middle of a cow pasture, and an eighteenth hole that sits on a little hill at least 50 feet above a self-dug quarry. Seriously, you could hurt and maybe kill yourself if you fell.

I also went to see the USDGC at Winthrop Gold last year. It was one hell of a tournament, with a great final round matchup between Climo, Doss (the winner), and a 16 year old named Paul Macbeth (yes, this kid was in the final group). It's quite the game; ESPN should pick up on it.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Bigsky

I've always wanted to design my own course...for public use.

capt. scotty

QuoteI've always wanted to design my own course...for public use.

Me and my friends had a long running story about making our own course that we thought up once when we were having a smoke break on the course, and it would randomly be brought up after that.

Our course would be a disc golf resort with 3 courses on the top of Mt Everest in a dome. Each course would have a different theme which I cant remember anymore. Everybody would be given their own Segway upon arrival, along with a quarter ounce of their finest hydroponic of their choice. We would have bands come and play 3 night stands, and there would also be a zoo.

And I was too stoned during these years to remember anymore  8-)

Ruckus

QuoteIts also good to get the Discraft's in Z Plastic and the Innova's in Champion plastic (each company's toughest material so your discs dont get dinged or bent).

This site has sales on stuff on the time if youre interested:

I gotta disagree with you on this one Headdy.  The highest quality plastics are the most durable but also require greater snap and power to properly handle.  For most beginners, a basic plastic would be better than an Innova Champion disc.  As each player's game evolves, they should then begin to experiment with some of the higher quality plastics which typically have less glide.

capt. scotty

QuoteIts also good to get the Discraft's in Z Plastic and the Innova's in Champion plastic (each company's toughest material so your discs dont get dinged or bent).

This site has sales on stuff on the time if youre interested:

I gotta disagree with you on this one Headdy.  The highest quality plastics are the most durable but also require greater snap and power to properly handle.  For most beginners, a basic plastic would be better than an Innova Champion disc.  As each player's game evolves, they should then begin to experiment with some of the higher quality plastics which typically have less glide.

I never thought about that actually. I dont even think the Z Plastic or Champion plastics came out until I had been playing a year or two. I think for the most part, I used whatever each's "medium" plastic was.

If you get a driver like an XL and mid range like an MRV though, they both have moderate turn at best on them, so I think what you are saying is minimized (and doesnt mean you would need to buy the other discs since I think theyre much better). I think what youre saying would have a greater impact on discs that have low turnover ratings/a lot of turn.

I think the Z Putter might actually be a better beginner's putter than an Aviar in that sense because its the straightest flying putter Ive ever thrown. Though I still use an Aviar on certain putts, I prefer a Z Putter myself even now. They roll less too.