The Official Disc Golf Thread

Started by talleshortz, Feb 19, 2009, 04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goose

QuoteWe used to play every week in Missoula, MT at the Blue Hills. One of my all time favorite sports. I need to start up again. We called it Folf...[size=24]I SAID FOLF ANYONE?[/size]

You live in Missoula now Evil?
Hooked on four like one, two, three

Ruckus

17th at Walnut Creek - And yes I've given up one of the vices pictured, just not frolf or DFH 90 Minutes. 8-)

The picture does not do justice to the difference in elevation.  The pin is back left not pictured (lower and to the left)

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Penny Lane

we should start an Ultimate Frisbee thread. Frisbee golf is lame. ;)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

The DARK

Quotewe should start an Ultimate Frisbee thread. Frisbee golf is lame. ;)

Frisbee golf is another thing entirely. This is DISC golf.  ;)
In another time, in another place, in another face

AlwxanderD10

Quoteyou know, that's one thing I always thought I would enjoy but just never got around to trying. Maybe this spring.

Same here and apparently we've got some good courses here in louisville.
Yeah Iroquois park has a decent one and i believe shawnee park has one [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bigsky

QuoteWe used to play every week in Missoula, MT at the Blue Hills. One of my all time favorite sports. I need to start up again. We called it Folf...[size=24]I SAID FOLF ANYONE?[/size]

No..I wish. I moved out back in 1997. Missoula and all of Montana is my favorite place in the union.

Bigsky

YOUR LAME...have you ever tried it?

Soulshine

What is the difference between these?

*Ultimate Frisbee

*Frisbee Golf
                 > I'm guessing the difference here is the tool. Special discs (different sizes) and frisbees (different sizes too)?
*Disc Golf

?

I played something once and it was a lot of fun, but now I dont know what it was that I did? I think it was disc golf. I liked it.
Because we're all in this together...

Bigsky

QuoteWhat is the difference between these?

*Ultimate Frisbee

*Frisbee Golf
                 > I'm guessing the difference here is the tool. Special discs (different sizes) and frisbees (different sizes too)?
*Disc Golf

?

I played something once and it was a lot of fun, but now I dont know what it was that I did? I think it was disc golf. I liked it.

Disc golf is like playing golf with frisbees (specialized frisbees called disks). Ultimate frisbee is closer to soccer or football where your on a team, with one disc passing it up the field to the endzone. Check out wikipedia for more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_golf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_(sport)

capt. scotty

QuoteWhat is the difference between these?

*Ultimate Frisbee

*Frisbee Golf
*Disc Golf

?

Disc golf is like playing golf with frisbees (specialized frisbees called disks). Ultimate frisbee is closer to soccer or football where your on a team, with one disc passing it up the field to the endzone. Check out wikipedia for more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_golf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_(sport)

And frisbee golf and disc golf are 1 in the same. Id just say people who dont play call it frisbee golf because they dont know any better. People who play call it disc golf.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

It must suck not having any disc golf courses in the urban sprawl you live in. I feel sorry for you  :)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

goose

Quoteyou know, that's one thing I always thought I would enjoy but just never got around to trying. Maybe this spring.

Same here and apparently we've got some good courses here in louisville.
Yeah Iroquois park has a decent one and i believe shawnee park has one [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Charlie Vettiner has one as well.

goose

No..I wish. I moved out back in 1997. Missoula and all of Montana is my favorite place in the union.

My girlfirend's sister lives there. I've always heard how great that town is.

Ruckus

QuoteHome course (for now) is Trophy Lakes. Rather long, with loads of water, but relatively flat and open. I'll see if I can find a pic of myself playing there. I want to play for bag tags at some point, but I'd feel kind of low stealing them away to Ohio with me.

South Carolina has excellent disc golf. I know a guy up near Columbia who actually opened up his own course named Stoney Hill on his property, and it spares no one. It has holes perched on the side of a hill, holes littered with OB, a hole in the middle of a cow pasture, and an eighteenth hole that sits on a little hill at least 50 feet above a self-dug quarry. Seriously, you could hurt and maybe kill yourself if you fell.

I also went to see the USDGC at Winthrop Gold last year. It was one hell of a tournament, with a great final round matchup between Climo, Doss (the winner), and a 16 year old named Paul Macbeth (yes, this kid was in the final group). It's quite the game; ESPN should pick up on it.

That's awesome.  I've never played in SC.  I went to the championships in Allentown, PA about 4 years ago but didn't really get to watch much of the competition.  I've never heard of Paul Macbeth.

I was wondering if this Disc Golf Monthly TV show that I get under Comcast's On Demand Service under Other Sports is a regional thing or if most people got it on their cable.

It's definitely fun to play for bag tags.  My friend had made a bunch of laminated photos of jerseys, but we just switched to minis instead.  My buddy ordered 15 minis and had painted 1-15 on them.  They are actually nice and it makes more sense as you can used them during your round to mark 8-)

Ruckus

Since this is a dying thread, thought I'd share a story from this past Sunday.

I birdie 16 to go back to +2, 3 strokes clear of a friend of mine.  I figure at worst I'll par 17 and 18 and I'm good.  Well, I did.  However, my buddy decided that he would birdie 17 than proceed to ace 18, a 300 footer with the pin hidden behind some trees on the left.

Cha-Ching :D :D :D

Luckily I won the tie break to earn the tag which I will lose promptly, but wow, I never thought I'd see -3 over 2 holes to tie.

:o :o :o :o

capt. scotty

Well, not for you, but NICE!!! I think we can both agree that even if it means you personally lose, sick shots - especially a hole in one - are worth that ticket.

Only 1 of my friends actually has an ace, and I wasnt playing with him when he got it. I've never seen an ace first hand. I've hit the cage a handfull of times and have had shots look like theyre basket bound, but im still looking for my first ace.

Dont worry, this wont be a dying thread. Once I start playing, Im sure Ill post plenty of less interesting and more frustrating stories than this concerning my disc game  ;D

Ruckus

QuoteWell, not for you, but NICE!!! I think we can both agree that even if it means you personally lose, sick shots - especially a hole in one - are worth that ticket.

Only 1 of my friends actually has an ace, and I wasnt playing with him when he got it. I've never seen an ace first hand. I've hit the cage a handfull of times and have had shots look like theyre basket bound, but im still looking for my first ace.

Dont worry, this wont be a dying thread. Once I start playing, Im sure Ill post plenty of less interesting and more frustrating stories than this concerning my disc game  ;D

Yeah, I've never aced a hole either.  I've slammed chains about 5x but none stuck.  I've hit about a 150 foot 2nd shot, that's about it.  One day.....one day....[size=8]one day....[/size]one day...

Ruckus

So now I've aced a hole.  #6 on Druid Hill, took a Cobra, turned it over left to right backhand on a downhill 250 footer.

Cha Cha Cha Chingggg!!!!

capt. scotty

QuoteSo now I've aced a hole.  #6 on Druid Hill, took a Cobra, turned it over left to right backhand on a downhill 250 footer.

Cha Cha Cha Chingggg!!!!

Very niiiice! Congrats man.

turned it over left to right backhand? so are you a lefty then?

Ruckus

QuoteSo now I've aced a hole.  #6 on Druid Hill, took a Cobra, turned it over left to right backhand on a downhill 250 footer.

Cha Cha Cha Chingggg!!!!

Very niiiice! Congrats man.

turned it over left to right backhand? so are you a lefty then?

Nah, righty.  Just got a couple discs in the bag that bite hard the other way