The Official Disc Golf Thread

Started by talleshortz, Feb 19, 2009, 04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The DARK

QuoteAwake and only 4 hours to go until tee time and breakfast whiskey!  Ahh I love Sundays of Disc golf and 12 hours of football.  

If you've never heard of this, it's a neat card game to play while playing with buddies.  It levels the playing field because only the losers of a hole get to draw new cards and every card is meant to screw another player so the leader keeps getting hounded.  For example, driving with your putter, throwing with your off hand, throwing hammer, removing a disc from a player's bag for the rest of the round, etc.

http://www.knagames.com/Ript%20Community/Community.htm

I tried playing with that once, but I was so bad at the time that it just pissed me off when my far more talented friends managed to park it with a putter around my created mando.  ;D
In another time, in another place, in another face

Ruckus

QuoteAwake and only 4 hours to go until tee time and breakfast whiskey!  Ahh I love Sundays of Disc golf and 12 hours of football.  

If you've never heard of this, it's a neat card game to play while playing with buddies.  It levels the playing field because only the losers of a hole get to draw new cards and every card is meant to screw another player so the leader keeps getting hounded.  For example, driving with your putter, throwing with your off hand, throwing hammer, removing a disc from a player's bag for the rest of the round, etc.

http://www.knagames.com/Ript%20Community/Community.htm

I tried playing with that once, but I was so bad at the time that it just pissed me off when my far more talented friends managed to park it with a putter around my created mando.  ;D

;D  Yeah, it can be a frustrating game but loads of fun that brings out the devil in everyone.  We typically play on Sundays where we usually have at least an eightsome playing doubles so it gets pretty wacky.  If your playing a pitch and putt, the drive with a putter card is pretty useless.  I do enjoy the move the tee pad card.  I'm not sure I've every played a create your mando card before.  Hmmm...
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

Playing in a 36 hole charity tournament tomorrow morning.  Should be fun!  Starting tee time temp should be around 25 degrees.

capt. scotty

QuotePlaying in a 36 hole charity tournament tomorrow morning.  Should be fun!  Starting tee time temp should be around 25 degrees.

dude youre a champ...i couldnt imagine discing this time of year

dont hole another, i need to catch up!  ;D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

QuotePlaying in a 36 hole charity tournament tomorrow morning.  Should be fun!  Starting tee time temp should be around 25 degrees.

dude youre a champ...i couldnt imagine discing this time of year

dont hole another, i need to catch up!  ;D

It wasn't as cold as expected.  I played at the intermediate level and took it down.  Didn't shoot well, but we played the X-holes and survived those without putting up a big number.  That saved me.

Awesome time.  Not only did we raise almost 1000 for homeless shelters in B'more, I left with a new Star Orc and Star Mako! 8-)

Those advanced and pro masters were at a whole nother level.

Ruckus

Yup, we're crazy!  Breaking in a fresh snow course.  Was exhausting just hiking through 9 holes.  Add to that looking for discs that enter the snow but then slide 4-6 feet underneath the snow and shoveling tee pads.  Ugh.....

Ruckus

QuoteHome course (for now) is Trophy Lakes. Rather long, with loads of water, but relatively flat and open. I'll see if I can find a pic of myself playing there. I want to play for bag tags at some point, but I'd feel kind of low stealing them away to Ohio with me.

South Carolina has excellent disc golf. I know a guy up near Columbia who actually opened up his own course named Stoney Hill on his property, and it spares no one. It has holes perched on the side of a hill, holes littered with OB, a hole in the middle of a cow pasture, and an eighteenth hole that sits on a little hill at least 50 feet above a self-dug quarry. Seriously, you could hurt and maybe kill yourself if you fell.

I also went to see the USDGC at Winthrop Gold last year. It was one hell of a tournament, with a great final round matchup between Climo, Doss (the winner), and a 16 year old named Paul Macbeth (yes, this kid was in the final group). It's quite the game; ESPN should pick up on it.

Sweet!  I was researching disc golf courses to play out in Charleston while I'm down there to catch the Jacket when I remembered that you had posted your home course here.  From everything I pulled up, this was the best course to play close to or in Charleston.  The only detractors I've heard of this course are that some of the dirt tee pads are a little iffy.  Looking forward to it and hoping for good weather cuz we only have one day to play there. :)

.Walt

I was flipping through channels one night, and on the public access channel they were showing a disc golf tournament. It was funny. Some guy missed a putt and got upset.  Then some 19 year old announcer guy was saying how he wears his emotions on his sleeve and how much heart he has.  

Playing in those conditions, Ruckus you have the passion and the heart. You can coach that, player!  8-)
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Ruckus

QuoteI was flipping through channels one night, and on the public access channel they were showing a disc golf tournament. It was funny. Some guy missed a putt and got upset.  Then some 19 year old announcer guy was saying how he wears his emotions on his sleeve and how much heart he has.  

Playing in those conditions, Ruckus you have the passion and the heart. You can coach that, player!  8-)

Aww shucks...thanks Walts :-*  I hope you mean 'can't' coach that.  Yeah we got a crazy crew over here that'll play in any conditions.  I mean, as long as the whiskey is flowin' who cares 8-)

pawpaw

QuoteI was flipping through channels one night, and on the public access channel they were showing a disc golf tournament. It was funny. Some guy missed a putt and got upset.  Then some 19 year old announcer guy was saying how he wears his emotions on his sleeve and how much heart he has.  

Aww shucks...thanks Walts :-*  I hope you mean 'can't' coach that.  Yeah we got a crazy crew over here that'll play in any conditions.  I mean, as long as the whiskey is flowin' who cares 8-)

You can't teach whiskey to flow!  :D

I always liked,"YOU CAN'T TEACH HUSTLE!"  8-)

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Ruckus

If anyone would like to join us for a round of disc golf at troohy lakes in charlestonthe day after the show give me a shout. :)

Ruckus

QuoteHome course (for now) is Trophy Lakes. Rather long, with loads of water, but relatively flat and open. I'll see if I can find a pic of myself playing there. I want to play for bag tags at some point, but I'd feel kind of low stealing them away to Ohio with me.

South Carolina has excellent disc golf. I know a guy up near Columbia who actually opened up his own course named Stoney Hill on his property, and it spares no one. It has holes perched on the side of a hill, holes littered with OB, a hole in the middle of a cow pasture, and an eighteenth hole that sits on a little hill at least 50 feet above a self-dug quarry. Seriously, you could hurt and maybe kill yourself if you fell.

I also went to see the USDGC at Winthrop Gold last year. It was one hell of a tournament, with a great final round matchup between Climo, Doss (the winner), and a 16 year old named Paul Macbeth (yes, this kid was in the final group). It's quite the game; ESPN should pick up on it.

Got to play Trophy Lakes the day after the show Dark!  I really enjoyed the course even with watercraft buzzing around.  The pro shop was awesome and the course was very well groomed and marked.  It was definitely a change of pace for be because of the amount of water in play and the absolute lack of elevation change.  It really didn't play that long at all but we did play from the short tees so many of the holes were almost pitch and putts.  It was the 1st course I played with a buried hole. ;D  Was that 13?  Anyways, great course. :)

.Walt

I've been playing alot this summer. But on Tuesday I threw my back out playing. It's not good. Yesterday I thought going to a buddy's house to have a beer or two and smoke one would help my back pain, but I was wrong. I was in pain the whole time and just uncomfortable. I was standing, because I couldn't sit down, and I eventually collapsed/fainted because of the pain. I'm sure I scared my friend. Not really sure if I'll be playing for awhile. I'm worried about the Ween concert on Saturday. But today my back is about 40%. On Saturday if I can put my socks on I'm going. All I can do is lay in bed and watch the George Lopez marathon on Nick At Nite. Good thing I don't have to worry about laughing hurting my back.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

QuoteI've been playing alot this summer. But on Tuesday I threw my back out playing. It's not good. Yesterday I thought going to a buddy's house to have a beer or two and smoke one would help my back pain, but I was wrong. I was in pain the whole time and just uncomfortable. I was standing, because I couldn't sit down, and I eventually collapsed/fainted because of the pain. I'm sure I scared my friend. Not really sure if I'll be playing for awhile. I'm worried about the Ween concert on Saturday. But today my back is about 40%. On Saturday if I can put my socks on I'm going. All I can do is lay in bed and watch the George Lopez marathon on Nick At Nite. Good thing I don't have to worry about laughing hurting my back.

it blows you threw your back out.  disc golf is one of the most dangerous sports known to man.

capt. scotty

it blows you threw your back out.  disc golf is one of the most dangerous sports known to man stoners.

fixed
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

it blows you threw your back out.  disc golf is one of the most dangerous sports known to man stoners.

fixed

haha fair enough.

Ruckus

QuoteI've been playing alot this summer. But on Tuesday I threw my back out playing. It's not good. Yesterday I thought going to a buddy's house to have a beer or two and smoke one would help my back pain, but I was wrong. I was in pain the whole time and just uncomfortable. I was standing, because I couldn't sit down, and I eventually collapsed/fainted because of the pain. I'm sure I scared my friend. Not really sure if I'll be playing for awhile. I'm worried about the Ween concert on Saturday. But today my back is about 40%. On Saturday if I can put my socks on I'm going. All I can do is lay in bed and watch the George Lopez marathon on Nick At Nite. Good thing I don't have to worry about laughing hurting my back.

How's your back brother?  On a side note, I got carded for smokes last week.  Counter dude says, "You look like George Lopez man."  I nearly slapped him across the counter.  You just don't say that man.

.Walt

How's your back brother?  On a side note, I got carded for smokes last week.  Counter dude says, "You look like George Lopez man."  I nearly slapped him across the counter.  You just don't say that man.
;D
You should've, that would've been awesome! And he carded you? So what you look like the 17 year old George Lopez?

My back still isn't the same. I can move a lot better. But everything on my right side has some sort of pain. Right side of my lower back, my right butt cheek, and my right calf. But the pain level has gone down, but the problem is simply just sitting in a chair. But on the positive side it got me to start walking and running again. I can stand upright and everything is just fine. Weird. It sucks to, because I really was getting into disc golf this year. I finally started going on a regular basis and was getting the hang of it.

You've been hitting the course? I've been watching disc golf on tv. I'm trying to be a student of the game during my stint on the DL.  

Hawkeye

Hope your back gets better Walts.  What TV channel has disc golf?  I think I'd like to watch that.  I bet there are some crazy good players.  I'm a total amateur who only uses one disc, but if I saw some good players it might inspire me to improve.
We could.

.Walt

QuoteHope your back gets better Walts.  What TV channel has disc golf?  I think I'd like to watch that.  I bet there are some crazy good players.  I'm a total amateur who only uses one disc, but if I saw some good players it might inspire me to improve.

Thanks everyone for the concern by the way.

There's some good clips on Youtube. But the TV show is on some local public access channel around here. So you can image how sweet the play by play guy was. That was almost the best part.  The last time I watched they showed the Great Lakes Championship or something like that. It was in Michigan, and the courses were really nice. Oh yeah they're good. It seems about 9 outta 10 pros drive with a backhand. I don't. I drive sidearm style! I'm also a total amateur too. I use two discs!  8-)