The NFL Thread: 2010

Started by capt._headdy, Mar 05, 2010, 07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jan 23, 2011, 10:35 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 23, 2011, 10:20 AM
C'mon.  I don't think it's just because of blocks in the back.  You can't deny that Ward is a dirty player and I'm not talking about the glorified vids of him decleating Bart Scott, Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.  He constantly blocks to the whistle and sometimes after but likes to either lead with his head or go low on people not looking.  Say what you will but some of us look at it differently.  I think he's a great, gritty player but I think he crosses the line.

Say what you will but I don't think any of these plays are legit.
Hines Ward, NFL's Dirtiest Player

When I think of a "dirty" player, I think of someone who purposefully tries to injure someone...None of those plays in that clip strike me as dirty. Ward has had a few helmet to helmet hits over the years that I might call dirty, but what DB or LB hasnt?? Overall I dont think he's a dirty player. If this were hockey, yeah Id call those hits dirty, but this is football - they have more protection, and there's a reason they get right up from all those hits in that clip and 95% of the hits in Ward's career. Its because they arent that big of a deal. More than anything, I think the hits just get under the skin of every other team in the NFL (which is what he wants), and there's not really any other way to describe him but dirty. To make another analogy to hockey, he's more of an "agitator" than a "goon".

In that article I linked, even Rex Ryan said he respects Ward and thinks he justs finishes plays and goes til the whistle.

I'll give you that he toes that fine line between being a "football" player and being dirty.  As I said earlier, he's definitely the type of player that I'd want on my team.  Those three plays showed against the Ravens, if taken individually, aren't so big a deal.  Add them all up with all the other shots and you get a pattern of behavior that begins to look shady.  The shot on Ray was a block in the back but one inch away from being clean.  Landry was pulling up to not hit someone out of bounds and got popped and he just went for Reeds knees shamelessly.  I know you are allowed to block low from straight ahead but the way he does it just rubs me the wrong way.  I guess there's no other way to put it. :-\
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

So this is my working weekend, so I knew I had to work today but lucked out and got a day shift and am done by 330, plenty of time to prepare for the showdown. Work was hell yesterday, figured it would be the same today, but I got pulled to a floor thats not only nicer than mine, but much less hectic, busy, etc, so I lucked out again today.

Now the Steelers are playing today and its the greatest announcer ever and Terrible Towel inventor Myron Cope's birthday..Happy B-Day Myron...Everything is lining up, they cant lose on Myron's BDay...Okel Dokel, Yoi and Double Yoi!!!

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

This guy is ready.  Party at my place!  First shot in 8 minutes!

capt. scotty

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 23, 2011, 12:23 PM
This guy is ready.  Party at my place! First shot in 8 minutes!

Very early, and very bold my friend...I dont think Id remember any of the game if I started drinking now  :D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Penny Lane

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 23, 2011, 12:23 PM
This guy is ready.  Party at my place!  First shot in 8 minutes!

;D :)  GO JETS! (and BEARS!) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

capt. scotty

I know I said Im feeling confident about today, but Im really surprised how many people are picking the Steelers. Jets won the first game, and just beat NE (and Indy), yet in the poll on ESPN that has almost 138,000 votes, 69% of people are picking the Steelers. I would think it should be pretty close to even.

br00ke

well that sucked :'( .... guess i'll be pulling for the pack now.

ManNamedTruth

Great game last night! Jets fought back hard in the second half, lots of respect for that team (except Cromartie, fuck that guy). Real pumped for the Super Bowl, a meeting of two great franchises.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Tracy 2112

How could the Jets win? They won their Super Bowl game last week in New England   ;)

And seeing Rothiesberger take a knee after the game surrounded by cameras, burying his face in a towel was "high theater". Great marketing job on the part of his peeps. I guess if they win the Super Bowl he'll get on both knees?   :-\

It will be cool to see the Steelers and Pack on the field in 2 weeks.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Taterbug

Congrats Walts,  I'm ready to pay up.  I feel like I'm doing the walk of shame this morning, DISGUSTING DISPLAY OF COACHING AND HEART  : :embarassed:
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

iLikeBeer

Isn't it ironic that arguably two of the most hated franchises of the Dallas Cowboys will be playing for the Super Bowl in Jerry World?!  :D

Tracy 2112

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Jan 24, 2011, 01:04 PM
Isn't it ironic that arguably two of the most hated franchises of the Dallas Cowboys will be playing for the Super Bowl in Jerry World?!  :D

:thumbsup:
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

capt. scotty

Hawkeye

Disappointed in Cutler.  Hard to say how bad the knee was hurt, but still...I feel like there are some other QB's who would have toughed it out...it's the friggin' Championship game!  Come on!  It was even more frustrating when they'd cut to him on the bench, just sitting there.  Didn't look like he was doing much to help Hanie or really into the game at all.  I tried to give him every benefit of the doubt, but God Damn It.  Show a little heart or emotion!
We could.

Penny Lane

Quote from: Hawkeye on Jan 24, 2011, 04:46 PM
Disappointed in Cutler.  Hard to say how bad the knee was hurt, but still...I feel like there are some other QB's who would have toughed it out...it's the friggin' Championship game!  Come on!  It was even more frustrating when they'd cut to him on the bench, just sitting there.  Didn't look like he was doing much to help Hanie or really into the game at all.  I tried to give him every benefit of the doubt, but God Damn It.  Show a little heart or emotion!

my thoughts, too...at least LOOK like you're sorry you're missing this game...
the best QB they've had and he's just so unlikeable..
he and terrell pryor need to get a good press secretary
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

.Walt

I'm on the side that thinks Cutler didn't do anything wrong. Yes, even before I knew the results of his MRI. The guy gets ripped on all the time and gets sacked the most. I doubt that he really didn't want to play in the biggest game of his career. He's not a rah rah kind of guy, and 5 seconds that Fox was showing doesn't show a lot. He was told not to play, but he still was on the sidelines with his team. He could have sat in the locker room, made it look worse than what it was, and stayed warm, but he stayed by his team like a captain going down with his ship.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

.Walt

Quote from: Taterbug on Jan 24, 2011, 10:17 AM
Congrats Walts,  I'm ready to pay up.  I feel like I'm doing the walk of shame this morning, DISGUSTING DISPLAY OF COACHING AND HEART  : :embarassed:

Sometimes you gotta let the pictures come to you. This will work....hang your head in shame Jay!

I think the Steelers should be the favorite in the superbowl. But I'm going with the Pack. Good for the Steelers, bad for the Packers. I don't think I've ever rooted for a Superbowl winner before.

Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Ruckus

It was a tough weekend but I slept surprisingly well on Sunday night.

I probably found the Bears game more frustrating because they weren't necessarily outplayed.  The Cutler/Martz combination moving forward better change it up by perhaps getting plastic surgery because looking at their faces all season was trying, even when they went 12-4.

The Jets game really was tough to stomach because of how they were able to run it down our throats in the 1st half and Schottenheimer and Ryan stubbornly sticking with Tomlinson in key situations when it was clear that Greene was again the more effective runner.  The defensive TD was huge in the 1st half but I give the men in green credit for showing some fight.  But as we had discussed a while back in this thread, Roethlisberger made the non box score plays that kept our O off the field when it counted.

Congrats.  I'll going to ask to work during the Super Bowl.  Well, I was the only one that picked the Packers to win it all in our post season pick 'em pool so that will be a nice consolation prize I guess.  Go Pack!

capt. scotty

Quote from: Walts on Jan 25, 2011, 08:59 AM

I'm on the side that thinks Cutler didn't do anything wrong. Yes, even before I knew the results of his MRI. The guy gets ripped on all the time and gets sacked the most. I doubt that he really didn't want to play in the biggest game of his career. He's not a rah rah kind of guy, and 5 seconds that Fox was showing doesn't show a lot. He was told not to play, but he still was on the sidelines with his team. He could have sat in the locker room, made it look worse than what it was, and stayed warm, but he stayed by his team like a captain going down with his ship.

Yeah, I cant believe how fans, other players and such were ripping him when they dont even know what the hell was injured or how bad it was. I dont understand why everyone rips him either. He's right around being a Top 10 QB (and might be), yet he doesnt seem to get the credit he deserves. If I were to guess, Id say his dejected and somber appearance on the sideline was due to not being able to continue playing and help his team on the field, not because he's soft, didnt want to risk further injury, wasnt there 100% for his team, etc

Also, this article sounds more like Rivers tooting his own horn and saying he's tougher than Cutler than Rivers having sympathy for Cutler which is what the title leads you to believe

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81de4ee7/article/chargers-qb-rivers-expresses-sympathy-for-criticized-cutler?module=HP_headlines

capt. scotty

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 25, 2011, 09:29 AM
The Jets game really was tough to stomach because of how they were able to run it down our throats in the 1st half and Schottenheimer and Ryan stubbornly sticking with Tomlinson in key situations when it was clear that Greene was again the more effective runner.  The defensive TD was huge in the 1st half but I give the men in green credit for showing some fight.  But as we had discussed a while back in this thread, Roethlisberger made the non box score plays that kept our O off the field when it counted.

I still cant believe how well we ran the ball either, and Im amazed this MASH unit of an OL has been good enough to help us to a 12-4 record and another super bowl appearance. Hopefully Pouncey will be ready in 2 weeks, he says he will. Id hate to see Legursky starting against Raji.

Def have to question not having Greene in there, let alone not running it 4 times when you got a 1st and goal from the 2 or whatever..Blame goes on Schottemheimer there. I give them credit as well for playing a good first half, and Sanchez played better than I expected.

Roethlisberger didnt have his best game by any means, but his key plays were off the charts. I think he converted 2 3rd and longs on just the first drive, 2 on the final cgame clinching drive, and 3-4 bigtime runs.

On paper I think this is the best SB matchup in years, but GB does scare me because their offense is like NE's but is better with deep passing. I have no doubt at all that if we play off their receivers Rodgers will kill us underneath.