The Science & Philosophy Thread

Started by PhriendlyMMJPhan, Nov 16, 2010, 12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shug

Quote from: el_chode on Jan 29, 2011, 05:14 PM
So what's the opposite of science?

Where did it all come from?

Dude, I hope you aren't trying to suggest that Bill O'Reilly's ideas have any credibility in a discussion of these topics.  Talk about clueless, it doesn't get any more ridiculous than him.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Crispy

Quote from: Shug on Jun 09, 2011, 02:06 PM
Quote from: el_chode on Jan 29, 2011, 05:14 PM
So what's the opposite of science?

Dude, I hope you aren't trying to suggest that Bill O'Reilly's ideas have any credibility in a discussion of these topics.  Talk about clueless, is doesn't get any more ridiculous than him.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

wolof7

http://startalkradio.net/

anyone a fan?  I think this guy is hilarious!
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

woodnymph

http://www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk/leylines.htm

"Most cultures have traditions and words to describe the straight, often geometric alignments that ran across ancient landscapes, connecting both natural and sacred prehistoric structures together. Usually the names given to represent these invisible lines are translated to an equivalent of 'spirit', 'dream', or 'energy' paths. However, apart from the physical presence of the sites themselves, proving the presence of a 'connection' between them is something that researchers have found notoriously elusive. "
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

woodnymph

Haven't read a whole lot about this yet, but a friend just sent me the link, and it seems interesting so far!

http://www.maps.org//
Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: woodnymph on Jul 21, 2011, 10:14 PM
Haven't read a whole lot about this yet, but a friend just sent me the link, and it seems interesting so far!

this does look sweet, thanks for posting it nymph. :thumbsup:

woodnymph

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Jul 21, 2011, 10:15 PM
Quote from: woodnymph on Jul 21, 2011, 10:14 PM

this does look sweet, thanks for posting it nymph. :thumbsup:

The more I'm reading about it, the cooler it seems!  Glad ya dig too, SI  8)  Looks like they've got some cool events in CA and BC!

darkglow

woodnymph

"The secret of genius is to carry the spirit of the child into old age, which means never losing your enthusiasm." - Aldous Huxley

:D

woodnymph

woodnymph

More Alan W

Kind of long, but flowing too well to try and dissect.

From one of the sites Sticky mentioned at the beginning of the thread
http://web.archive.org/web/19990221145429/mojo.calyx.net/~schaffer/lsd/alchemy.html

One of these experiments was conducted late at night. Some five or six hours from its start the doctor had to go home, and I was left alone in the garden. For me, this stage of the experiment is always the most rewarding in terms of insight, after some of its more unusual and bizarre sensory effects have worn off. The garden was a lawn surrounded by shrubs and high trees---Pine and eucalyptus---and floodlit from the house which enclosed it on one side. As I stood on the lawn I noticed that the rough patches where the grass was thin or mottled with weeds no longer seemed to be blemishes. Scattered at random as they were, they appeared to constitute an ordered design, giving the whole area the texture of velvet damask, the rough patches being the parts where the pile of the velvet is cut. In sheer delight I began to dance on this enchanted carpet, and through the thin soles of my moccasins I could feel the ground becoming alive under my feet, connecting me with the earth and the trees and the sky in such a way that I seemed to become one body with my whole surroundings.

Looking up, I saw that the stars were colored with the same reds, greens, and blues that one sees in iridescent glass, and passing across them was the single light of a jet plane taking forever to streak over the sky. At the same time, the trees, shrubs, and flowers seemed to be living jewelry, inwardly luminous like intricate structures of jade, alabaster, or coral, and yet breathing and flowing with the same life that was in me. Every plant became a kind of musical utterance, a play of variations on a theme repeated from the main branches, through the stalks and twigs, to the leaves, the veins in the leaves, and to the fine capillary network between the veins. Each new bursting of growth from a center repeated or amplified the basic design with increasing complexity and delight, finally exulting in a flower.

From my description it will seem that the garden acquired an atmosphere that was distinctly exotic, like the gardens of precious stones in the Arabian Nights, or like scenes in a Persian miniature. This struck me at the time, and I began to wonder just why it is that the glowingly articulated landscapes of those miniatures seem exotic, as do also many Chinese and Japanese paintings. Were the artists recording what they, too, had seen under the influence of drugs? I knew enough of the lives and techniques of Far Eastern painters to doubt this. I asked, too, whether what I was seeing was "drugged." In other words, was the effect of the LSD in my nervous system the addition to my senses of some chemical screen which distorted all that I saw to preternatural loveliness? Or was its effect rather to remove certain habitual and normal inhibitions of the mind and senses, enabling us to see things as they would appear to us if we were not so chronically repressed? Little is known of the exact neurological effects of LSD, but what is known suggests the latter possibility. If this be so, it is possible that the art forms of other cultures appear exotic---that is, unfamiliarly enchanting---because we are seeing the world through the eyes of artists whose repressions are not the same as ours. The blocks in their view of the world may not coincide with ours, so that in their representations of life we see areas that we normally ignore. I am inclined to some such solution because there have been times when I have seen the world in this magical aspect without benefit of LSD, and they were times when I was profoundly relaxed within, my senses unguardedly open to their surroundings.

Feeling, then, not that I was drugged but that I was in an unusual degree open to reality, I tried to discern the meaning, the inner character of the dancing pattern which constituted both myself and the garden, and the whole dome of the night with its colored stars. All at once it became obvious that the whole thing was love-play, where love means everything that the word can mean, a spectrum ranging from the red of erotic delight, through the green of human endearment, to the violet of divine charity, from Freud's libido to Dante's "love that moves the sun and other stars." All were so many colors issuing from a single white light, and, what was more, this single source was not just love as we ordinarily understand it: it was also intelligence, not only Eros and Agape but also Logos. I could see that the intricate organization both of the plants and of my own nervous system, like symphonies of branching complexity, were not just manifestations of intelligence---as if things like intelligence and love were in themselves substances or formless forces. It was rather that the pattern itself is intelligence and is love, and this somehow in spite of all its outwardly stupid and cruel distortions.

woodnymph

EasyRyder

"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

woodnymph

woodnymph

Her message is definitely what I talk about with a good handful of friends.  Beautiful message, glad I watched... it's just such a trip.  Such a real one... not just one that fades away in a few hours...  the real deal.  The body is an intense thing....... crazy mystery.....

I like her description of it, I just get myself in too deep sometimes and feel the experience too close, or something... my own doing.  I think probably at least a handful of forum folks have felt her experience in some ways or other in psychedelia (or other means).... what a trip....  thanks for sharing!

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: woodnymph on Oct 05, 2011, 02:17 AM
Her message is definitely what I talk about with a good handful of friends.  Beautiful message, glad I watched... it's just such a trip.  Such a real one... not just one that fades away in a few hours...  the real deal.  The body is an intense thing....... crazy mystery.....

I like her description of it, I just get myself in too deep sometimes and feel the experience too close, or something... my own doing.  I think probably at least a handful of forum folks have felt her experience in some ways or other in psychedelia (or other means).... what a trip....  thanks for sharing!

yeah, it aint too shabby.  the whole time in the back of my mind I was thinking "hmm, but she did have a brain hemorrhage... what if she's crazy now..." haha.  still like the idea of the constant flow of energy, interconnected/nirvana, etc.  pretty cool to hear it from a brain scientist.