Current Joys

Started by ycartrob, Aug 22, 2006, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

QuoteI bought an assault rifle on the fourth of July...  :'(  God bless America!
Really. Why ? Just curious. My friends use to own AK 47's. Never really understood the fascination. Is it a collectors thing or maybe the allure of an assault rifle. What can you hunt with a assault rifle besides people ? :-/

why couldnt you hunt deer with an assault rifle if you have a hunting license?
ummm, there were be some serious damage I would expect? Since I detest guns, I'm no expert. Plus I think you can only hunt with certain gauges/ammo for fear that missed shots are going to end up somewhere they shouldn't

I dont think assualt rifle cartridges are much bigger, if at all, than 306 rifle, which are a popular hunting rifle.

I think assualt rifles are considered more deadly because theyre an automatic weapon, not because theyre more damaging/destructive. I wouldnt be surprised if you couldnt hunt with them, but IMO that would be more because of a legality issue than assualt rifles being so much more deadly.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Angry Ewok

QuoteReally. Why ? Just curious. My friends use to own AK 47's. Never really understood the fascination. Is it a collectors thing or maybe the allure of an assault rifle.

For me it's a hobby. I'm a marksman, I love going to the range and plinking stuff. There's just something cool about putting a soda can out at a distance and seeing if you can hit it with the naked eye.

QuoteWhat can you hunt with a assault rifle besides people ? :-/

This is a great question. With a good, clean, rifle in the .223 caliber, you can kill a deer or boar at a reasonable range with a single shot. I stress that the rifle has to be good and clean - AK-47's are notoriously dirty, inaccurate, and sloppily manufactured. We've got one but it's just a novelty item (I've never even taken it to the range). The most important factor, though, is the hunter's responsibility. (I don't hunt, by the way)

QuoteI dont think assualt rifle cartridges are much bigger, if at all, than 306 rifle, which are a popular hunting rifle.

The assault rifle (.223) is actually much, much smaller than the standard hunting rifle (.30-06). My AR is relatively accurate up to 300 yards - my hunting rifle can penetrate 2 inches of concrete at 600 yards. Assault rifles may have the deadly sounding name, but your grandpa's bolt action hunting rifle is ten times more accurate and destructive.

QuoteI think assualt rifles are considered more deadly because theyre an automatic weapon, not because theyre more damaging/destructive. I wouldnt be surprised if you couldnt hunt with them, but IMO that would be more because of a legality issue than assualt rifles being so much more deadly.

Civilian assault rifles aren't more deadly than hunting rifles, they aren't fully automatic (unless illegally modified), and it is perfectly legal to hunt with them. There are a lot of misconceptions about "assault" rifles and I think a lot of it stems from the name.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Angry Ewok

Or should I have just said I'm getting ready for the zombies?  :P

TEO

Prob. hook up with Murph and Coll in Troy on my way to VT...
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

Angry Ewok

I love those two! I wanna go.

.Walt

QuoteProb. hook up with Murph and Coll in Troy on my way to VT...

Do you have Murph's email? I'd still like my question answered, and he's the only one who could help me out.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

TEO

Finally met Penny and Reenie. Hung out with BH,Dog,Goose,Kory, and some gurl with a go-by of crazylove. Went to Dylan and Candace's for a short visit and garden tour on Sunday. It is nothing but my pleasure to be associated with these fine folks. They are generous,funny,smart,genuine,engaged and engaging. What more could a person ask for?

Penny Lane

QuoteFinally met Penny and Reenie. Hung out with BH,Dog,Goose,Kory, and some gurl with a go-by of crazylove. Went to Dylan and Candace's for a short visit and garden tour on Sunday. It is nothing but my pleasure to be associated with these fine folks. They are generous,funny,smart,genuine,engaged and engaging. What more could a person ask for?

The feelings are all mutual. Wonder if other bands have such kind, fun, and warm fans...? [size=10]Rhetorical..no way..[/size]
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

mjkoehler

Quote[size=10]Rhetorical..no way..[/size]
True dat

BH

QuoteFinally met Penny and Reenie. Hung out with BH,Dog,Goose,Kory, and some gurl with a go-by of crazylove. Went to Dylan and Candace's for a short visit and garden tour on Sunday. It is nothing but my pleasure to be associated with these fine folks. They are generous,funny,smart,genuine,engaged and engaging. What more could a person ask for?

Sorry I didn't make it to dinner on Saturday night.  I probably wouldn't have been great company by that point anyway.  
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

crazylove

Sorry I didn't make it to dinner on Saturday night.  I probably wouldn't have been great company by that point anyway.  
We missed you BH!  Let's all move to one big commune and enjoy life.  Someone would have to volunteer to work to keep us in refreshments, but oh, it would be such great fun!  What a wonderful group of friends!  We are so lucky to have all of you :)
"You could kill someone up here and bury them in the snow! No one would ever find them!"- Penny Lane

The DARK

We missed you BH!  Let's all move to one big commune and enjoy life.  Someone would have to volunteer to work to keep us in refreshments, but oh, it would be such great fun!  What a wonderful group of friends!  We are so lucky to have all of you :)

Sorry I couldn't have been there Saturday and met everyone (and I missed Dead Confederate! Damn!) but thanks to all for enduring the pseudo-hippies and making Forecastle a hell of a time!
In another time, in another place, in another face

TheBigChicken

finally back to work....doesn't pay much but it's steady and I'm shooting for school this fall.....trying to get my teaching certificate... :)
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

crazylove

Sorry I couldn't have been there Saturday and met everyone (and I missed Dead Confederate! Damn!) but thanks to all for enduring the pseudo-hippies and making Forecastle a hell of a time!
Sure wish we could have met you.  Heard you were brilliant!  Next time, fo sure!
"You could kill someone up here and bury them in the snow! No one would ever find them!"- Penny Lane

TEO

Did not get to see Coll and Murph but talked to her on the phone and she is getting ready to have that baby any day!  :) It was great just to hear her voice... :)

aMillionDreams

QuoteDid not get to see Coll and Murph but talked to her on the phone and she is getting ready to have that baby any day!  :) It was great just to hear her voice... :)

I'll bet she's in no mood to see people right before delivery.  Even you TEO.   :P  Sending Colleen and Sean some good vibes this week!

Keep on truckin', brother!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

searchinbig

Bo riding the wave on Dear Wife.  :) Damn, that sounds good.
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

Ruckus

Got my Auerbach tix.  Will be my 1st time seeing him solo :)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Penny Lane

QuoteGot my Auerbach tix.  Will be my 1st time seeing him solo :)

i picked up a ticket for the NYC show.  :D i couldn't resist.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Janet

ETB took our doggies to the "beauty shop" yesterday and now they are all fluffy and smell purty. :)