Current Joys

Started by ycartrob, Aug 22, 2006, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodnymph

Finally saw my first up-close OWL tonight...... Samhain would bring that, I suppose!  Just got back from a night cruise on the Blue Ridge Parkway......

It was directly on the two yellow lines in the center of the road, just sitting there.  As I came up on it around a bend, I just KNEW it was an owl, even though I couldn't make it out.  Almost bumped into it  :-X   It looked at me (what felt like) right in the eye, as I passed it, slowing down.  Stopped the car and did a 3-point turnaround and felt it move.  With my headlights lighting up the general area, I saw it had flown into a nearby tree, so I crept up slowly still in my car.....  I got right underneath of it, and it just sat perched on the branch, and looked at me.  Then it looked away.  Then it looked down at me again.

So I put the car in park and got out as gingerly as I could and walked up to it......  It watched me, and when I got just a tad too close for comfort, it flew into the next tree over and looked back at me.  I figured it wanted its space then, so I got back in my car and continued talking to it and listening to the night noises....

That waxing crescent moon was RIGHT BEHIND IT, as it perched.  It was like every MMJ owl picture you could want for.

It was a barred owl.....  it had the most sincere looking expression the whole time.......... those eyes just burned into my head.......

Jose Gonzalez Sensing Owls
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

bowl of soup

I once camped underneath a group of owls. Didn't sleep a wink, they spent all night trying kill me - swooping down and screeching all night. Smug, shitty bastards - you're still just a bird.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

woodnymph

Quote from: bowl of soup on Nov 01, 2011, 12:00 AM
I once camped underneath a group of owls. Didn't sleep a wink, they spent all night trying kill me - swooping down and screeching all night. Smug, shitty bastards - you're still just a bird.

Wow, geez.

bowl of soup

Quote from: woodnymph on Nov 01, 2011, 12:02 AM

Wow, geez.

Well, that came out wrong. I'm drinking on Monday night so forgive me. The owls were beyond cool, swooping down at us. Think there may have been baby owls involved. Should have moved the tent.

woodnymph

Quote from: bowl of soup on Nov 01, 2011, 12:07 AM
Quote from: woodnymph on Nov 01, 2011, 12:02 AM

Wow, geez.

Well, that came out wrong. I'm drinking on Monday night so forgive me. The owls were beyond cool, swooping down at us. Think there may have been baby owls involved. Should have moved the tent.

It's interesting that they should stay right there by you through the night, there must have indeed been owlettes involved

bowl of soup

They were enourmous and quite frankly, they should have been pissed. Drunk people singing dradel, dradel, dradel is never funny. I wish the owls would've won.

ALady

Am I terrible for laughing at that exchange?   ;D
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

mjk73

Quote from: ALady on Nov 01, 2011, 11:20 AM
then you'll be greating people at the gates of hell with me. I got a good laugh out of it this morning.

woodnymph

Quote from: mjk73 on Nov 01, 2011, 05:04 PM
then you'll be greating people at the gates of hell with me. I got a good laugh out of it this morning.

No more mystical owl experiences for you people!!!   Sheesh  :P  I'm keepin' owl talk strictly to pocket owlettes from here on out  :-X

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: woodnymph on Oct 31, 2011, 11:43 PM
Finally saw my first up-close OWL tonight...... Samhain would bring that, I suppose!  Just got back from a night cruise on the Blue Ridge Parkway......

It was directly on the two yellow lines in the center of the road, just sitting there.  As I came up on it around a bend, I just KNEW it was an owl, even though I couldn't make it out.  Almost bumped into it  :-X   It looked at me (what felt like) right in the eye, as I passed it, slowing down.  Stopped the car and did a 3-point turnaround and felt it move.  With my headlights lighting up the general area, I saw it had flown into a nearby tree, so I crept up slowly still in my car.....  I got right underneath of it, and it just sat perched on the branch, and looked at me.  Then it looked away.  Then it looked down at me again.

So I put the car in park and got out as gingerly as I could and walked up to it......  It watched me, and when I got just a tad too close for comfort, it flew into the next tree over and looked back at me.  I figured it wanted its space then, so I got back in my car and continued talking to it and listening to the night noises....

That waxing crescent moon was RIGHT BEHIND IT, as it perched.  It was like every MMJ owl picture you could want for.

It was a barred owl.....  it had the most sincere looking expression the whole time.......... those eyes just burned into my head.......

Jose Gonzalez Sensing Owls

Cool story, I recall my owl encounter from awhile back. It's a trip getting stared in the eyes by one. I wish I knew what kind it was. i thought it was a baby owl at the time, but I think it was just a small breed.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

woodnymph

Thanks, True!!  I thought of your story right away, with that little baby owlette!  I know your avatar isn't If I Could Only Remember My Name anymore, but that's what I had on when I saw it!!  (It's one of my ultimate favorite Blue Ridge Parkway albums)  It was (one of) the vocals-only tunes, "Tamalpais High (At About 3)"   F'n crazy timing...... (love hearing Jerry's guitar through it)  ...definitely something you don't forget.

David Crosby - Tamalpais High (At About 3)

bowl of soup

Uh, I'm not well.  You know that right?

ALady

;D  To be clear, I fully enjoyed each side of the owl conversation on its own merits.

Have you ever found owl poo?  It is the coolest thing.  All kinds of little bones and teeth and stuff.  However, I also own this shirt:

:bath:

ALady

Current joy: realizing just how much you upgraded.   8) :bath: :)

headhunter

current joy = music

in a crazy world, it's the one refuge that is always there
was some shakin' and some record playin'

lil sis

I'm officially a NYC resident!  Moved into my new place yesterday and I'm in love with my apartment.  I was not happy at all in my last place and I feel like I've won an award for putting up with so much bs.  It has been rough the last few days with losing power and trying to pack in the freezing cold and no light, having to sleep in two different places to keep warm, and then having to move everything using one working elevator up to the 19th floor.  I'm exhausted and sitting on my couch now and finally taking it all in.  It was all worth it in the end.  :)
"There's still time for you to change your mind or whatever else you do."

mjk73

Quote from: bowl of soup on Nov 02, 2011, 12:31 AM

Uh, I'm not well.  You know that right?
Right

johnnYYac

Quote from: lil sis on Nov 02, 2011, 09:22 PM
I'm officially a NYC resident!  Moved into my new place yesterday and I'm in love with my apartment.  I was not happy at all in my last place and I feel like I've won an award for putting up with so much bs.  It has been rough the last few days with losing power and trying to pack in the freezing cold and no light, having to sleep in two different places to keep warm, and then having to move everything using one working elevator up to the 19th floor.  I'm exhausted and sitting on my couch now and finally taking it all in.  It was all worth it in the end.  :)

Congrats!  Having spent three days on the 19th floor of a hotel in Hartford last week, I feel your pain (and I wasn't moving).   Check you PMs for a house-warming gift.   ;)

Moving On Up-The Jeffersons Theme Song Remix
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

woodnymph

Dang girl!!  That is some hardcore moving!!!  So glad you made it in safe and sound and can finally start enjoying it all!!  CONGRATS!!!

headhunter

Congrats!! Very happy to share the Big Apple with you.  Looking forward to seeing you at MSG next month in what is now - your hometown!
was some shakin' and some record playin'