Current Joys

Started by ycartrob, Aug 22, 2006, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The DARK

It got great reviews. How good was it actually?
In another time, in another place, in another face

FarmerYoda

I'm thrilled. I mean. Sort of.
I discovered my problem.  I have dyscalculia.  It's like math dyslexia.
my cousin showed me this... these're the symptoms, and it's exaclty my math difficulties:

Frequent difficulties with arithmetic, confusing the signs: +, -, ÷ and x.
    Inability to tell which of two numbers is the larger.
    Reliance on 'counting-on' strategies, e.g. using fingers, rather than any more efficient mental arithmetic strategies.
    Difficulty with everyday tasks like checking change and reading analog clocks.
    Inability to comprehend financial planning or budgeting, sometimes even at a basic level; for example, estimating the cost of the items in a shopping basket or balancing a checkbook.
    Difficulty with times-tables, mental arithmetic, etc.
    Does better in subjects such as science and geometry, which require logic rather than formulas, until a higher level requiring calculations is needed.
    Difficulty with conceptualizing time and judging the passing of time.
    Problems differentiating between left and right.
    Having a poor sense of direction (i.e. north, south, east, and west) and may also have trouble still even with a compass.
    Difficulty navigating or mentally "turning" the map to face the current direction rather than the common North=Top usage.
    Having difficulty mentally estimating the measurement of an object or distance (e.g., whether something is 10 or 20 feet away).
    Inability to grasp and remember mathematical concepts, rules, formulae, and sequences.
    Difficulty keeping score during games.
    Difficulty with games such as poker with more flexible rules for scoring.
    Difficulty in activities requiring sequential processing, from the physical (such as dance steps) to the abstract (reading, writing and signaling things in the right order). May have trouble even with a calculator due to difficulties in the process of feeding in variables.
    The condition may lead in extreme cases to a phobia of mathematics and mathematical devices.

in any case, it gives me a convincing argument to talk to my teacher about.  and maybe then she'll be more sympathetic.

anyway. i got my report card. and i went UP in everything (except english, which i remained consistant in).  I went from a B- to an A in history... word.   :D

colleen

I am going to Langerado!!  :) Will be in Florida anyway with my mom to try to convince her to move there to be closer to family. It hadn't occurred to me that I could go while there, but now it has. Very excited to get a live MMJ fix and also get out of the cold. It's 5 degrees and 20 inches of snow at the moment and my face is so dry it hurts to smile. See some of you there perhaps- will check other thread to see who's going.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

TEO

Enjoying a well deserved three day weekend!  :)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

FarmerYoda

february break has jsut begun
and i just got back from yoga. i'm so sweaty.  :)

The DARK

QuoteI'm thrilled. I mean. Sort of.
I discovered my problem.  I have dyscalculia.  It's like math dyslexia.
my cousin showed me this... these're the symptoms, and it's exaclty my math difficulties:

Frequent difficulties with arithmetic, confusing the signs: +, -, ÷ and x.
    Inability to tell which of two numbers is the larger.
    Reliance on 'counting-on' strategies, e.g. using fingers, rather than any more efficient mental arithmetic strategies.
    Difficulty with everyday tasks like checking change and reading analog clocks.
    Inability to comprehend financial planning or budgeting, sometimes even at a basic level; for example, estimating the cost of the items in a shopping basket or balancing a checkbook.
    Difficulty with times-tables, mental arithmetic, etc.
    Does better in subjects such as science and geometry, which require logic rather than formulas, until a higher level requiring calculations is needed.
    Difficulty with conceptualizing time and judging the passing of time.
    Problems differentiating between left and right.
    Having a poor sense of direction (i.e. north, south, east, and west) and may also have trouble still even with a compass.
    Difficulty navigating or mentally "turning" the map to face the current direction rather than the common North=Top usage.
    Having difficulty mentally estimating the measurement of an object or distance (e.g., whether something is 10 or 20 feet away).
    Inability to grasp and remember mathematical concepts, rules, formulae, and sequences.
    Difficulty keeping score during games.
    Difficulty with games such as poker with more flexible rules for scoring.
    Difficulty in activities requiring sequential processing, from the physical (such as dance steps) to the abstract (reading, writing and signaling things in the right order). May have trouble even with a calculator due to difficulties in the process of feeding in variables.
    The condition may lead in extreme cases to a phobia of mathematics and mathematical devices.
Then you're more normal than me.

red

I went to a pancake supper with my Grandmother and now I'm so full I could throw up.

FarmerYoda

i'm so jealous of you, red.

megisnotreal

OMFG

OMG

ahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is a very strong possibility that i am going to an undersea prom in athens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR TWO NIGHTZ, Y'ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD!!!!111!!!

I AM SO EXCITED I CANNOT MAINTAIN!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!1111111!!!!!!!!!!!1111!ONE111!!!!

[smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

The DARK

Shot at going to Wax Fang gig at Cumberland's on March 7!  :D

TEO

Being able to drive home yesterday with my window down after going through -5F last week!  :)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

EC

it's so snowy here right now that i can't see ANY of the city and this office is on the 50th floor.  it's all white!

unless i'm in heaven...

The DARK

Warm weather for the first time in weeks!

ali

indoor rock climbing!!!!
love a song for the way it makes you feel

aMD

my wife won tickets to Wax Fang on Saturday from WFPK. We were going to anyway, but now we don't have to feel so bad about paying out the ass for drinks!  :)

megisnotreal

i am off work... now.

the sun is shining, and it is 64 degrees outside.

i am driving home with my windows down and my jamz blaring.

ya heard?

8-)

red

I'm drinking some vanilla milk and listening to Fishscale.  Oh yeah!

FarmerYoda

i get to go hoooooommmmme tomorrow!
and ma boyz home, too :)

.Walt

Much Greater Than Science Fiction

harristrensky

Will Oldham's ability to take a song,
strip it of so many degrees of recognition,
play it live,
and totally fucking mesmorize anything with ears.
I was a big old bear once.