Current Joys

Started by ycartrob, Aug 22, 2006, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

Quote from: Taterbug on Jan 11, 2012, 02:37 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Jan 11, 2012, 02:27 PM
I'm not sure if this is a Current Joy or Complaint, but this winter has been unseasonably mild. The temp has rarely dipped below 26-30F; many days the temperature reaches 40-48F. We should be getting temperatures somewhere in the 15-20F range, although for one day last week it was -9F. The online  Farenheit converter is great! It should get far colder in February. My complaint is that the mild weather spells disaster for the environment and farmers.

It has been pretty damn nice, It's gonna be 50F today. We are going to get our first measurable snowfall tomorrow 2" - 4".   Every day without snow is a bonus to me, especially after all the snow we had last year.  It's bizarre seeing motorcycles on the road in January.

People ride bicycles all year round no matter how deep the snow gets in Toronto. There's still plenty of ebikes, scooters and motorcycles on the downtown streets too. I put my bike away around a month ago, but I could still be riding it to work (the roads get slippery in January and the weather can be unpredictable, which isn't good since I'm a work commuter cyclist).

We need cold weather and snow of the summer will be brutal.

Where do you live?

Taterbug

I'm in Elgin, IL  about 40 miles northwest of Chicago.  I fired up my snowblower 2 months ago expecting it to get a lot of use.  I haven't had to use it once.  Shit, my lawn still had some green grass in it last week.  I can't imagine having to ride a bicycle in the snow and ice and then have to deal with cars on top of that.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Jaimoe

Quote from: Taterbug on Jan 11, 2012, 03:14 PM
I'm in Elgin, IL  about 40 miles northwest of Chicago.  I fired up my snowblower 2 months ago expecting it to get a lot of use.  I haven't had to use it once.  Shit, my lawn still had some green grass in it last week.  I can't imagine having to ride a bicycle in the snow and ice and then have to deal with cars on top of that.

There's commuter cyclists and then there's the insane commuter cyclists. I won't ride when the temp dips under 5C. Black ice ain't a friend of anyone on a bike.

Your weather probably is similar to Toronto's, although we are just south of the snowbelt: it hits just north of the city and down to Buffalo (which gets hammered every year). Sometimes we don't get much snow, but two winters ago Toronto and area got over 4 feet. Good thing I sprang for winter tires (but I don't drive my car too much - I walk and take transit and bike as much as possible).

Oh, and the lawns here are very green and some were out golfing on the weekend.

evilurges86

my wonderful best friend who surprised me with a visit she "felt something was off" and there was, but not so much anymore    :)  :)  :)
"Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness"

bluesky

Quote from: evilurges86 on Jan 11, 2012, 05:47 PM
my wonderful best friend who surprised me with a visit she "felt something was off" and there was, but not so much anymore    :)  :)  :)

friends are the BEST!! Glad you have the needed company!

NoVa_NoLa

Quote from: evilurges86 on Jan 11, 2012, 05:47 PM

Nice!!

evilurges86

Finding this place....

http://www.helpmateonline.org/

a local womans outreach program. I will be volunteering in the childcare program for moms who cant afford day care AND participating in support group for myself. Met some amazing women <3  I FEEL SOOOO HAPPY TODAAAAYYY and it stopped raining after week long showers! ;D  ;D  ;D

it a very happy friday!! hope you all are doing well
"Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness"

Jon T.

Quote from: evilurges86 on Jan 13, 2012, 02:18 PM
Finding this place....

http://www.helpmateonline.org/

a local womans outreach program. I will be volunteering in the childcare program for moms who cant afford day care AND participating in support group for myself. Met some amazing women <3  I FEEL SOOOO HAPPY TODAAAAYYY and it stopped raining after week long showers! ;D  ;D  ;D

it a very happy friday!! hope you all are doing well

Wow, talk about turning a negative situation into a positive one.  How cool.   :thumbsup:

(I hope I'm not being insensitive by saying your situation was/is positive.  I'm just in admiration of your handling of it.

ALady

Nice work, lady.  That's some empowering stuff!
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Fully

That's great! By helping others you will empower yourself. Stay strong, sister.

aMillionDreams

Just catching up on this thread wanted to make sure I sent congrats and beat wishes to Dan and his new family!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Hawkeye

Thanks aMD!  Can't wait to try some of your beer  8)
We could.

Jaimoe

Well, this brings me joy and it's part of their name too: The Joy Formidable @ the Horseshoe Tavern in Toronto on April 2nd. Historic venue, but not very big. It's going to be wild and the tix are only $16.50!

headhunter

Today is my anniversary.  Mrs. Headhunter has now put up with me For 18 years. A few thousand record albums and a few hundred live concerts and she still puts up with me. A very good woman indeed.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

mjk73

Quote from: Jaimoe on Jan 13, 2012, 07:02 PM
Well, this brings me joy and it's part of their name too: The Joy Formidable @ the Horseshoe Tavern in Toronto on April 2nd. Historic venue, but not very big. It's going to be wild and the tix are only $16.50!
Sweet!

johnnYYac

Quote from: headhunter on Jan 15, 2012, 05:52 PM
Today is my anniversary.  Mrs. Headhunter has now put up with me For 18 years. A few thousand record albums and a few hundred live concerts and she still puts up with me. A very good woman indeed.
:beer:

From best I can tell, you are both very lucky to have each other.  Here's to the next 18... and more!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Penny Lane

You're both the best! Happy anniversary and safe travels back from FL.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Fully

Congratulations!

Jaimoe

Quote from: Fully on Jan 15, 2012, 11:43 PM

Congratulations!

Ditto!

Fully

I'm happy that tonight I get to go out to dinner at the best steakhouse in Nashville on someone else's dime. Blue cheese stuffed filet mignon, here I come!