Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

QuoteGo Twins!

Yeah!! We could have the best record in the AL pretty soon. I'd like to have home field advantage all the way through. It's going to be a cold October. I can't wait for the complaints about playing outdoors in 40 degree temp. That's sweatshirt weather here  ;D

I'm really kinda worried about Morneau. What the fuck is the problem? They need to get him back out there before the playoffs. He was putting up MVP type numbers, but everyone who's filling in for him is doing just fine. Watching the replay it didn't look serious at all. He'd be back out the next play if it was the NFL.

I am afraid that if Morneau was cleared to play at this point he's been out of it so long he wouldn't be of much use to us.I don't look for him to play any of the remaining games or in the post season.
We got clobbered tonight by the Tigers damn it! Twins need to keep at it for home field advantage in the playoffs.

Wow, I realize that we're resting players for the playoffs, but good lord the Twins looks like junk out there. I don't know about Morneau, where is he when we need him? He was a stud this year and a former MVP. MVP players don't grow on trees.

Dylan, lets hope for a Twins vs Reds World Series!  [smiley=beer.gif] But who is Ruckus taking?

Morneau is a tough Canadian kid, but it takes lots of time to recover fully from a concussion. Gotta love another Canuck this year, Joey Votto. My man Halladay should win the Cy, if writers actually pay attention to what he's done.

aMillionDreams

I think Joey Votto is this year's MVP.  Then again almost all the sports media I see is bias to Cincy and I may or may not be incredibly bias myself.  I'd love to see my Reds in the World Series, but after 15 years, clinching the central is enough for me to hang my hat on this season.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

.Walt

Morneau is a tough Canadian kid, but it takes lots of time to recover fully from a concussion. Gotta love another Canuck this year, Joey Votto. My man Halladay should win the Cy, if writers actually pay attention to what he's done.

Did you see the play where he got the concussion? It didn't look bad at all. It didn't seem like that would even cause a concussion or sideline him for months. Corey Koskie, Jason Bay, and Morneau. What's up with Canadian baseball players and concussions?  ;)
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

BH

QuoteI think Joey Votto is this year's MVP.  Then again almost all the sports media I see is bias to Cincy and I may or may not be incredibly bias myself.  I'd love to see my Reds in the World Series, but after 15 years, clinching the central is enough for me to hang my hat on this season.

Based on the past MVPs and the fact that Cincinnati made the playoffs, I think Votto will win.   And he should.   If you take the playoffs out of the equation, I think I would go Carlos Gonzalez (monster year), then Pujols and then Votto.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Jaimoe

QuoteI think Joey Votto is this year's MVP.  Then again almost all the sports media I see is bias to Cincy and I may or may not be incredibly bias myself.  I'd love to see my Reds in the World Series, but after 15 years, clinching the central is enough for me to hang my hat on this season.

Based on the past MVPs and the fact that Cincinnati made the playoffs, I think Votto will win.   And he should.   If you take the playoffs out of the equation, I think I would go Carlos Gonzalez (monster year), then Pujols and then Votto.

Take Votto off the Big Red Machine and they don`t even get close to getting in.

BH

You know what, I looked at the numbers a bit closer, and Votto deserves it with or without the playoff factor.  First in the NL in OPS at 1026.  Case closed.

The one advantage I still give to Albert:  Almost 50 less strikeouts.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

So who gets the Cy Young?   Halladay's and Wainwright's numbers are almost identical.

Wainwright 33 starts, 20 wins, 11 losses, 213 Ks, 1.05 WHIP, 2.42 ERA

Halladay  33 starts, 21 wins, 10 losses, 219 Ks, 1.04 WHIP, 2.44 ERA

capt. scotty

QuoteSo who gets the Cy Young?   Halladay's and Wainwright's numbers are almost identical.

Wainwright 33 starts, 20 wins, 11 losses, 213 Ks, 1.05 WHIP, 2.42 ERA

Halladay  33 starts, 21 wins, 10 losses, 219 Ks, 1.04 WHIP, 2.44 ERA

Halladay Id say since Philly was the best team in the NL (I think they ended up so at least)

Zach Duke should get some consideration though  ::)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jellyfish

QuoteGo Twins!

Yeah!! We could have the best record in the AL pretty soon. I'd like to have home field advantage all the way through. It's going to be a cold October. I can't wait for the complaints about playing outdoors in 40 degree temp. That's sweatshirt weather here  ;D

I'm really kinda worried about Morneau. What the fuck is the problem? They need to get him back out there before the playoffs. He was putting up MVP type numbers, but everyone who's filling in for him is doing just fine. Watching the replay it didn't look serious at all. He'd be back out the next play if it was the NFL.

I am afraid that if Morneau was cleared to play at this point he's been out of it so long he wouldn't be of much use to us.I don't look for him to play any of the remaining games or in the post season.
We got clobbered tonight by the Tigers damn it! Twins need to keep at it for home field advantage in the playoffs.

Wow, I realize that we're resting players for the playoffs, but good lord the Twins looks like junk out there. I don't know about Morneau, where is he when we need him? He was a stud this year and a former MVP. MVP players don't grow on trees.

Dylan, lets hope for a Twins vs Reds World Series!  [smiley=beer.gif] But who is Ruckus taking?

We shouldn't be resting since we have a chance for home field advantage through the playoffs.Agreed,Twins have looked terrible since they clinched the Central and the pitching is gonna need to improve or we are gonna get swept 1,2,3 again in the 1st round.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

The DARK

You know what, I looked at the numbers a bit closer, and Votto deserves it with or without the playoff factor.  First in the NL in OPS at 1026.  Case closed.

Consider, however, that Votto has a grand total of 0 infield flies this year. Yes, 0.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Jaimoe

Consider, however, that Votto has a grand total of 0 infield flies this year. Yes, 0.

That is astonishing. I forgot about that. If only some of the Jays did the same this season.

.Walt

capt. scotty

If Halladay wasnt going to win the NL Cy Young before tonight, he is now...

Oooohhhwweee!!  :D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

QuoteIf Halladay wasnt going to win the NL Cy Young before tonight, he is now...

I told everyone that he'd win the CY the day he was traded to the Phillies. Another gem from the best pitcher of his era.

.Walt

QuoteIf Halladay wasnt going to win the NL Cy Young before tonight, he is now...

I told everyone that he'd win the CY the day he was traded to the Phillies. Another gem from the best pitcher of his era.

He is the best pitcher in the bigs. Roy was the favorite to win the NL Cy Young, and he handled the pressure well. Good for him!

Looks like the Yankees have our number again this year. I was feeling good with a 3-0 lead in the 6th with Franky dealing. We just can't get over the hump. Damn it!!

capt. scotty

Yeah, Liriano looked great in the 5th and then fell apart in the 6th. I think a couple of those early innings where he had a high pitch count killed. I thought both he and Sabathia got left in a couple batters to many, but I guess you gotta trust your ace.

I mean, the Yankees are just unfair dude. They even were able to somehow put Rajon Rondo in at RF for better defense in the 9th

pawpaw

;D Barry "$126 Million" Zito was left off the Giant's 25-man roster for the NLDS against the Braves!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/giants/detail?entry_id=74034

I say, good. Dude was 1-8 down the stretch. What a amazing dissapointment he's been (especially with the start to the season he had). A failure.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

pawpaw

It's hard to argue against Halladay, and he certainly had the best season, but Timmy pitched a monster game last night. I'm not ready to give ol' Roy the crown as the best of this generation yet (unless, of course, we're saying they're from different generations, which they probably are  ;D)...The Kid has a lot of baseball ahead of him.

Jaimoe

It's hard to argue against Halladay, and he certainly had the best season, but Timmy pitched a monster game last night. I'm not ready to give ol' Roy the crown as the best of this generation yet (unless, of course, we're saying they're from different generations, which they probably are  ;D)...The Kid has a lot of baseball ahead of him.

Tim's awesome. Ya, he's like a young Halladay for sure (love the CGs and strikeouts). However, for a real comparison, I'd like to see him pitch against the Yankees and Red Sox for 12 years (and win more times than not). I'll be in San Fran on Sunday. Go Reds and/or Phillies (and Rays, since the Yanks and Red Sox can go fuck themselves).

pawpaw

Tim's awesome. Ya, he's like a young Halladay for sure (love the CGs and strikeouts). However, for a real comparison, I'd like to see him pitch against the Yankees and Red Sox for 12 years (and win more times than not). [highlight]I'll be in San Fran on Sunday.[/highlight] Go Reds and/or Phillies (and Rays, since the Yanks and Red Sox can go fuck themselves).

Dude, it's FLEET WEEK!!! You're in for a treat, with a display of real, American MILITARY MUSCLE (right up your alley, I'm sure  ;D) - THE BLUE ANGELS!!! Also, there'll be a Columbus Day parade in North Beach on Sunday! This is a GREAT weekend to be in SF! Busy, FOR SURE (tough to get a cab), but it'll be a fun time, and the weather should be perfect. Have fun!  :)