Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

QuoteIf Halladay wasnt going to win the NL Cy Young before tonight, he is now...

Oooohhhwweee!!  :D

I told everyone that he'd win the CY the day he was traded to the Phillies. Another gem from the best pitcher of his era.

It's hard to argue against Halladay, and he certainly had the best season, but Timmy pitched a monster game last night. I'm not ready to give ol' Roy the crown as the best of this generation yet (unless, of course, we're saying they're from different generations, which they probably are  ;D)...The Kid has a lot of baseball ahead of him.

Tim's awesome. Ya, he's like a young Halladay for sure (love the CGs and strikeouts). However, for a real comparison, I'd like to see him pitch against the Yankees and Red Sox for 12 years (and win more times than not). [highlight]I'll be in San Fran on Sunday.[/highlight] Go Reds and/or Phillies (and Rays, since the Yanks and Red Sox can go fuck themselves).

Dude, it's FLEET WEEK!!! You're in for a treat, with a display of real, American MILITARY MUSCLE (right up your alley, I'm sure  ;D) - THE BLUE ANGELS!!! Also, there'll be a Columbus Day parade in North Beach on Sunday! This is a GREAT weekend to be in SF! Busy, FOR SURE (tough to get a cab), but it'll be a fun time, and the weather should be perfect. Have fun!  :)

I'm going to see the EELS at the Fillmore on Monday. I think I'm going to Alcatraz on Sunday during the day - my flight is at 7:30am. I can't wait to see US military muscle ;) Actually, I didn't know about Columbus Day; should be fun. I have a busy schedule lined up for the week, but I will be venturing to LA only because I have to go there just to say I've been there.

pawpaw

Sounds like a nice trip! The Blue Angels are actually a spectacular show, and if you're out on Alcatraz while they fly, you'll have a perfect view because they'll be RIGHT overhead. It's going to be BUSY on that north side of town on Sunday, but you can walk 15-20 minutes from the ferrry terminal for Alcatraz to North Beach if you want to see the Columbus Day festivities. Have fun, Jaimoe!

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Jaimoe

QuoteSounds like a nice trip! The Blue Angels are actually a spectacular show, and if you're out on Alcatraz while they fly, you'll have a perfect view because they'll be RIGHT overhead. It's going to be BUSY on that north side of town on Sunday, but you can walk 15-20 minutes from the ferrry terminal for Alcatraz to North Beach if you want to see the Columbus Day festivities. Have fun, Jaimoe!

Busy doesn't bother me (I live in downtown Toronto). I'm staying in a B&B and a swanky hotel near the Bridge. I'll do my best to catch the Angels. I've only seen them on TV flying over propaganda-themed NCAA bowl games  :)

Thanks for the well-wishes!

Murph

man I hate playoff baseball  :'(

Paulie_Walnuts

After following everything so closely last season I have to confess that I'm completely out of the loop this season. Maybe it's because I didn't fit a US holiday in this year!  :'(

Can someone give me a simple round up of the current postion re: playoffs and matches to come?

Now we're down to the serious stuff I'm going to devote some time (and some late nights) to it!
Paulie W

.Walt

Yankees beat my Twins first round of the playoffs. Phillies beat the Reds

AL:
Yankees vs Rays/Rangers

NL: Phils vs Braves/Gaints

I forgot how much I enjoy the Braves in the postseason. That was a great game last night. Paulie, don't cheer for the Yankees. I'm going with the Phils and Rangers.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Ruckus

Sorry to the Twins and Reds fans on this board.  It's just so anticlimactic to flame out like that.  Though doubtful that it would have changed the outcome in either series, I have always thought it to be ridiculous to play 162 games then the divisional series only be 5 games.  

Hey Paulie, your boy Cliff Lee is now on the Rangers carrying them on his back.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Paulie_Walnuts

Seeing as I have no alleigance I'm gonna go for the team with the cool name.......Texas Rangers it is!!
Paulie W

.Walt

QuoteSeeing as I have no alleigance I'm gonna go for the team with the cool name.......Texas Rangers it is!!

8-)

TheBigChicken

my predictions ....phillies in 6
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

.Walt

Paulie, you ever see or hear anything about Finnish baseball? what's it like? Is it popular? I've read a few things about it, but thought maybe you'll have the European knowledge.

iLikeBeer

How about in the Rangers/Rays series, the road team won every game?!  So much for home field advantage in that series...  :D

It is also quite painful as an Indians fan to see arguably the two frontrunners for the Cy Young in the AL leading their teams to the ALCS being former Indians and knowing that the Indians basically got nothing more than a couple of cases of sunflower seeds in return for trading them...  ::)   :-/  >:(

At least Lee and CC got to get the hell out of the mess that is the Cleveland Indians.  I am happy that they are both doing well, however, I am going to have to root for Lee and the Rangers from here on out.  Sorry CC, but I can't root for the damn Yankees!  No way, no how!  Although, in all liklihood, Lee will be joining CC in New York aftter the Yankees offer him a gazzillion dollars in free agency?!   >:(

.Walt

QuoteHow about in the Rangers/Rays series, the road team won every game?!  So much for home field advantage in that series...  :D

It is also quite painful as an Indians fan to see arguably the two frontrunners for the Cy Young in the AL leading their teams to the ALCS being former Indians and knowing that the Indians basically got nothing more than a couple of cases of sunflower seeds in return for trading them...  ::)   :-/  >:(

At least Lee and CC got to get the hell out of the mess that is the Cleveland Indians.  I am happy that they are both doing well, however, I am going to have to root for Lee and the Rangers from here on out.  Sorry CC, but I can't root for the damn Yankees!  No way, no how!  Although, in all liklihood, Lee will be joining CC in New York aftter the Yankees offer him a gazzillion dollars in free agency?!   >:(

That was a great series. You gotta like the Rangers. Once Nolan Ryan became the owner he lowered the beer and ticket prices. That's fucking cool in my book!

Oh no! Don't say Lee to New York.  ;) Even though we all are thinking it. Who knows, if the Yankees win it all this year they won't feel they need to improve. I think the Phillies have a really good chance beating the Yanks this year. Of course the Phils and Yanks have to make it there...good luck BBill!

Ruckus

So how bout them Cardinals?!
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Paulie_Walnuts

QuotePaulie, you ever see or hear anything about Finnish baseball? what's it like? Is it popular? I've read a few things about it, but thought maybe you'll have the European knowledge.

Sorry Walts - I know nothing at all about Finnish baseball. The only things Finland is famous for is eating whales, producing great rally drivers.....and suicide!

Joking aside I hadn't really heard of any European countries being that into baseball. In the UK it's very small, and if anything a posh man's sport! In a tenuous link to the best British comedy thread there is a classic episode in Only Fools & Horses where Del Boy is trying to climb the social ladder. At a dinner party a "yuppie" tells him he plays baseball, to which Del Boy replies that he loves baseball too. His younger brother Rodney immediately puts him down with the classic line, "You don't like baseball. You've always called it silly boys rounders!"
Paulie W

Paulie_Walnuts

Your post prompted me to find this though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesäpallo

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yAwTUy104I[/media]

Looks like some crazy shit! I'd be interested to know what baseball purists think of it.

Paulie W

TheBigChicken

QuoteYour post prompted me to find this though:

Looks like some crazy shit! I'd be interested to know what baseball purists think of it.

Some SERIOUS trash talking going on in that game ;D
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

.Walt

QuoteYour post prompted me to find this though:

Yeah, that's what I've been seeing, but I don't get it. The pitcher just tosses the ball up in the air to the hitter? It's kinda like how we play tennyball, but we have an actual pitcher throwing hittable balls. Finnish baseball seems kinda cool. I'd like to watch an actual game. Thanks for the clip.

pawpaw

Thanks Walts!  [smiley=beer.gif]

Halladay vs Lincecum, Game 1 NLCS. I get goosebumps just writing that.

Hey, does Buster Posey get a lot of national press? He should, and he should also be the NL Rookie of the Year. The only knock would be that he didn't play a full season, but to step in mid-year and quickly ascend to the role that he has (batting clean-up, starting catcher) makes his season even more impressive, imo. Really, considering what a better team the Giants have been with him, I'd even argue that he deserves MVP consideration...he's made that much of a positive impact and the Giants would not have made the playoffs without him.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

.Walt

QuoteThanks Walts!  [smiley=beer.gif]

Halladay vs Lincecum, Game 1 NLCS. I get goosebumps just writing that.

Hey, does Buster Posey get a lot of national press? He should, and he should also be the NL Rookie of the Year. The only knock would be that he didn't play a full season, but to step in mid-year and quickly ascend to the role that he has (batting clean-up, starting catcher) makes his season even more impressive, imo. Really, considering what a better team the Giants have been with him, I'd even argue that he deserves MVP consideration...he's made that much of a positive impact and the Giants would not have made the playoffs without him.

That's going to be a hell of a game!

I think Posey gets press. I asked my roommate if he'd take Mauer or Posey next year in fantasy baseball. He said he'd take Mauer, but he's also a big time homer. I'm not sure who I'd take. Posey is freaking awesome. I'd give him the award.