Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

Quote from: Jaimoe on Mar 03, 2011, 10:37 AM
Ya, it's Boston's East to lose. I meant that the Yanks may struggle to get a wild card. They do not have the starters to put them into WS contention and Jeter is nearing the end, thank god.

After last season, I, like Ruckus, have doubts about the starting pitching for the Sox. Of course this is me sounding like a typical Sox fan but again with Beckett and Papelbon's poor showing last season, I find it hard to put my full trust in them. Plus Diasuke is the biggest dissappointment on that staff. Hopefully the offense can shine a bit.

I am pulling for the Jays to break their tranistion year/losing years streak for the sake of my twin brother who has been a lifelong dedicated Jays fan. He caught the success of his team early in our lives while I have followed the sox for the better half of 25 years and just recently tasted the glory.

As a Sox fan I am offering up a sacrifice of Sweet Caroline at any Boston-based sports game. Please protest, boo, break Neil Diamond cds. I hate that shit, sorry ophidiophobia.

"None of us knew what the fuck he was doing there" - Levon Helm and the Band (sans Robbie) regarding N. Diamond's appearance during the Last Waltz
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Jaimoe

Quote from: wolof7 on Mar 07, 2011, 02:02 PM
Ya, it's Boston's East to lose. I meant that the Yanks may struggle to get a wild card. They do not have the starters to put them into WS contention and Jeter is nearing the end, thank god.

I am pulling for the Jays to break their tranistion year/losing years streak for the sake of my twin brother who has been a lifelong dedicated Jays fan. He caught the success of his team early in our lives while I have followed the sox for the better half of 25 years and just recently tasted the glory.

The Jays will be competetive this season for sure, barring injury to their #1-2 starters. They do have depth at the 4-5 though, which is great. With their hotshot young GM making good moves in the off-season (SI rated him #1 as GM in the off-season) and a new manager, things are at least optimistic here and to fans across the country and some, like your bro, south of the border. 

bowl of soup

Quote from: Jaimoe on Mar 07, 2011, 02:23 PM

The Jays will be competetive this season for sure, barring injury to their #1-2 starters. They do have depth at the 4-5 though, which is great. With their hotshot young GM making good moves in the off-season (SI rated him #1 as GM in the off-season) and a new manager, things are at least optimistic here and to fans across the country and some, like your bro, south of the border.

The east is murder this year.  They're going to kill each other to the point that only 1 team is going to come out.  I know the national media is obsessed with comparing the Rays to the Marlins of years past, but this is just typical laziness.  Losing Crawford will hurt, but Damon really isn't that much of a downgrade and CC's defense is greatly overrated because he made one catch in the All-Star game.  I'll take Manny over 300 strikeout Pena all day.  The bullpen is going to be interesting, but I'll take our staring 5 over every team in MLB except the Phillies.  And we've upgraded at 2nd, SS, and Right.  Longoria will have a monster year with Manny behind him - just wait.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Jaimoe

Quote from: bowl of soup on Mar 07, 2011, 04:06 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Mar 07, 2011, 02:23 PM

The east is murder this year.  They're going to kill each other to the point that only 1 team is going to come out.  I know the national media is obsessed with comparing the Rays to the Marlins of years past, but this is just typical laziness.  Losing Crawford will hurt, but Damon really isn't that much of a downgrade and CC's defense is greatly overrated because he made one catch in the All-Star game.  I'll take Manny over 300 strikeout Pena all day.  The bullpen is going to be interesting, but I'll take our staring 5 over every team in MLB except the Phillies.  And we've upgraded at 2nd, SS, and Right.  Longoria will have a monster year with Manny behind him - just wait.

You are right about the season being murder and only one team making it out of the division. Even the O's look better, at least on paper. I think Damon is near the end though. With all the changes, I have no idea how TB will fare this seaspn, but I do like their starters.

.Walt

I set up the fantasy baseball league. I'm not the biggest fan of starting threads, so if you think we need to, do it. I have it set to 10 teams, but I'm hoping we at least get an even number this year. The draft is Wednesday the 23rd at 6:30central. If the time doesn't work let us know as soon as you can.

Anyways, here's the info...

Yahoo, League ID: 136026, Password: baseball

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/register/joinprivateleague_league_select?.scrumb=
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

.Walt

I talked to Dylan, and he's in and so is his buddy. We need 4 more to get 8 lets make it happen!

Also in real baseball news...it was nice to Morneau back is the lineup. I was doing a mock draft yesterday, and people were just harping on me for drafting him. Foot in mouth!

Ruckus

Quote from: Walts on Mar 09, 2011, 05:42 PM
I talked to Dylan, and he's in and so is his buddy. We need 4 more to get 8 lets make it happen!

Also in real baseball news...it was nice to Morneau back is the lineup. I was doing a mock draft yesterday, and people were just harping on me for drafting him. Foot in mouth!

I figure Clarkwork is in
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

.Walt

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 09, 2011, 08:09 PM
Quote from: Walts on Mar 09, 2011, 05:42 PM

I figure Clarkwork is in

I hope so. I'll try to find people's emails from last year. Hopefully that will work. If not, Ruckus you got $20 to float Headdy this year?

Clarkwork

You guys know to count me in.  I just signed up to the league.  We got enough?
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

darkglow

i started to sign up.. but didnt want to impose if the last few team slots were spoken for.

Someone gimme a count of available slots if any, por favor.

Go Braves!

.Walt

Quote from: darkglow on Mar 10, 2011, 09:49 PM
i started to sign up.. but didnt want to impose if the last few team slots were spoken for.

Someone gimme a count of available slots if any, por favor.

Go Braves!

Yeah, sign up for sure! You gotta be excited for the Braves this year.  :beer:

darkglow

i'm fighting back so much excitement it's hard to not want to pick up alot of Braves in my fantasy league teams.

Bad news down here in FL from Atlanta's spring training, Luis Salazar, former MLBer and current manager of the Braves' single-A team was hit in the face by a line drive foul ball yesterday. The accounts from the players and coaches made it sound like they'd all thought it had to be a fatal injury for sure, but Salazar is undergoing reconstructive surgery and doctors say he's getting better. He'll more than likely lose vision in his right eye.

Just a reminder of the chaos that could be in America's most beautiful game. All you out there playin' softball this summer or have kids playing baseball/tee-ball/whatever.. stay safe.

Ruckus

Quote from: darkglow on Mar 10, 2011, 11:54 PM
i'm fighting back so much excitement it's hard to not want to pick up alot of Braves in my fantasy league teams.

Bad news down here in FL from Atlanta's spring training, Luis Salazar, former MLBer and current manager of the Braves' single-A team was hit in the face by a line drive foul ball yesterday. The accounts from the players and coaches made it sound like they'd all thought it had to be a fatal injury for sure, but Salazar is undergoing reconstructive surgery and doctors say he's getting better. He'll more than likely lose vision in his right eye.

Just a reminder of the chaos that could be in America's most beautiful game. All you out there playin' softball this summer or have kids playing baseball/tee-ball/whatever.. stay safe.
Tyler!  Please join the MMJ league eh?

EDIT:  Ne'er mind...
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Clarkwork

I'm a big Braves fan as well, so glad there are a few of us at least.  Should be a good year for them.  I also just got a nice retro Dale Murphy jersey!  So i'm ready for the season!

Clarkwork

If we are running short maybe we should start a Fantasy Baseball thread.  Might bring some other people in that wouldn't know to look here.

Jon T.

Speaking of which, did you ever find out where it is and when you are playing?

peafunk31

Not feeling so awesome any more now that Chase Utley's injured knee is possibly screwed. Time will tell, I guess :(
Homer no function beer well without.

pawpaw

Hey, I just signed up. I'm the Arkansas Mules.  8)

It looks like we need one more to make it 8.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

darkglow

Quote from: Jon T. on Mar 11, 2011, 08:19 AM

Jon,

I was playin in a co-ed league that plays up at exchange park on monday nights.. but the people i was gonna play with dropped the ball on registering on time.. so now i've decided to play in the on base league with my students and fellow instructors. i work with a guy who plays for a big weekend tourney team from pcola and he's told me if i could commit to it he'd ask to get me on the team... i just dont know if i can give up every weekend of the summer as a single young successful guy like myself.. especially that one certain weekend in may  ;)

plus i'd like to take a couple weekend trips up to atlanta for some games this summer.

Jon T.

Quote from: darkglow on Mar 11, 2011, 02:53 PM
Quote from: Jon T. on Mar 11, 2011, 08:19 AM

Jon,

I was playin in a co-ed league that plays up at exchange park on monday nights.. but the people i was gonna play with dropped the ball on registering on time.. so now i've decided to play in the on base league with my students and fellow instructors. i work with a guy who plays for a big weekend tourney team from pcola and he's told me if i could commit to it he'd ask to get me on the team... i just dont know if i can give up every weekend of the summer as a single young successful guy like myself.. especially that one certain weekend in may  ;)

plus i'd like to take a couple weekend trips up to atlanta for some games this summer.

Bummer.  That's the same night we play up there.  I don't blame you for passing up the weekend league.  I like playing, but I sure as shit don't want it to cut into my weekend time.  We just found out we are being sponsored by Pensacola Bay Brewery and they told us they will be providing our pre and post game refreshments.   :D