Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

I don't want to say I told you so, but I told you so (when the trade was first made):

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2010/11/phillies-roy-halladay-the-clear-winner-of-the-nl-cy-young-award-/1

Oh yeah, he ALSO deserved this honour when he was a Jay:

.Walt

QuoteI don't want to say I told you so, but I told you so (when the trade was first made):

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2010/11/phillies-roy-halladay-the-clear-winner-of-the-nl-cy-young-award-/1

Oh yeah, he ALSO deserved this honour when he was a Jay:

Halladay was the preseason favorite to win. I thought he'd win the Cy Young for sure. The NL East sucks. I'd loved seeing him pitch against the Mets and Nats and young Braves and Marlin teams. No DH. I bet he had a lot of fun in NL, just feasting off teams, and getting away for the AL East. He should win it again next year too. He should be the favorite again.

I wonder who's going to win the AL Cy Young. I'm hearing a bunch of King Felix talk. I'm not sure who I'd give it to. I wanna say CC, but my heart is saying Price.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

.Walt

Who said that fantasy geeks don't know what they're talking about. This is a huge win for us. It's so 1955 to judge a player based off of 3 categories. It turns out that the little stats do matter. I would have gone with Price, but Felix winning is awesome!

Congrats to Gardy for winning the AL coach of the year!

Ruckus

By numbers Felix deserved it but it was his performance against the likes of the Yankees that justified it.  Otherwise, getting to pitch in Safeco 81 games and also in Anaheim and Oakland often does tend to boost ones numbers a wee bit.  In that sense, Price was also very deserving
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

peafunk31

Sorry, had to do it! SF definitely outplayed Philly this past year & deserved to win the World Series. But with the addition of Cliff Lee to our lineup?!?!? Good F'n luck scoring any more than 2 run per game against the Phils! 4 aces on one team is godly. The NL is in for some serious problems this year. Starting to get the baseball itch already & the Super Bowl hasn't even been played yet :o
Homer no function beer well without.

Ruckus

QuoteSorry, had to do it! SF definitely outplayed Philly this past year & deserved to win the World Series. But with the addition of Cliff Lee to our lineup?!?!? Good F'n luck scoring any more than 2 run per game against the Phils! 4 aces on one team is godly. The NL is in for some serious problems this year. Starting to get the baseball itch already & the Super Bowl hasn't even been played yet :o
;D ;D ;D  You know that you guys are already fucked right?  Also, I only count two aces, Halladay and Lee.  Hamels has been inconsistent and I'm not sure the Oswalt we saw down the stretch last year is the Oswalt you are going to get this year.  I'd temper the expectations buddy. ;)

walterfredo

QuoteSorry, had to do it! SF definitely outplayed Philly this past year & deserved to win the World Series. But with the addition of Cliff Lee to our lineup?!?!? Good F'n luck scoring any more than 2 run per game against the Phils! 4 aces on one team is godly. The NL is in for some serious problems this year. Starting to get the baseball itch already & the Super Bowl hasn't even been played yet :o

...just like the Braves in the 90s.  Unstoppable rotation.  How'd they do?  :-X

peafunk31

Ah, you silly silly kids. Hamels was rock solid last year. He just didn't have the run support. Look up his WHIP, ERA & WAR in 2010. All quite good.

Oswalt played for a shitty team for a vast majority of 2010. Once he joined the mighty Phils, he was more or less lights out.

But whatever you guys need to do to justify your anxiety for the season to come. ;)

peafunk31

...just like the Braves in the 90s.  Unstoppable rotation.  How'd they do?  :-X

I suppose the same could be said for the Giants of last year. While their rotation wasn't as legendary as the 90's Braves, they were pretty damn spectacular. It worked out alright for them last year, no? ;)

capt. scotty

Im just glad the god damn yankees didnt get any better
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

walterfredo

QuoteIm just glad the god damn yankees didnt get any better

in the end, that's all that really matters.  

peafunk31

Ya, that's a hell of a point. In all my excitment & cockiness, I lost track of what really matters. F the Yankees! Thanks for helping me see the light :)

Crispy

Ya, that's a hell of a point. In all my excitment & cockiness, I lost track of what really matters. F the Yankees! Thanks for helping me see the light :)
Truly the reason for the season.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

.Walt

Love all the Yankee hate  ;D

Phillies are stacked, and hopefully they can put it together. I love how Lee took less money and years to play with a team he wanted to. Although what's a few million between friends?

peafunk31

Love all the Yankee hate  ;D

Phillies are stacked, and hopefully they can put it together. I love how Lee took less money and years to play with a team he wanted to. Although what's a few million between friends?

I also love how Cliff stated a major reason for returning to the Phils was his (& his wife's) love of the city & it's fans. Take that, national media! ;D

walterfredo

from what I'm hearing, I think a huge reason he chose philly has to do with the fact that his son is currently in remission from Leukemia, and philly has the top rated childrens hospital in the country.  

.Walt

Quote from: Walts on Jan 12, 2010, 04:38 PM
Not to be a homer or anything, but isn't it time to put Bert Blyleven in the hall of fame? Every pitcher that has over 300 wins is in the hall of fame. Yeah, he has like 295, but if 300 wins were the status quo back then, he would've (like most players) hung around a little longer to achieve an individual award. He should be in.

Fuck yeah! At'a boy Bert!! Congrats on making the hall!!

Ruckus

Quote from: Walts on Jan 05, 2011, 09:02 PM
Quote from: Walts on Jan 12, 2010, 04:38 PM
Not to be a homer or anything, but isn't it time to put Bert Blyleven in the hall of fame? Every pitcher that has over 300 wins is in the hall of fame. Yeah, he has like 295, but if 300 wins were the status quo back then, he would've (like most players) hung around a little longer to achieve an individual award. He should be in.

Fuck yeah! At'a boy Bert!! Congrats on making the hall!!

Glad he's in!  Always loved the guy growing up.  Bert's Bender, Uncle Charlie, the Yacker, #2...Da Kneee Buckler!

Jaimoe

Robbie Alomar elected to the Hall was a nobrainer. He's one of the greatest ever at his position and redifined how 2nd base is played, especially his defensive abilities on artificial turf. He should have gotten in on the first ballot. According to a writer for ESPN, NY-based writers didn't vote him in last year due to his lackluster play for the Mets, but not the spitting incident (Alomar and the ump have been friends ever since the unfortunate incident). Alomar will be the first Blue Jay in the Hall (not including GM Pat Gillick). I hope Halladay goes in as a Jay, as he should. Dave Stieb should be a Hall member, but his numbers aren't "Hall-worthy" even though he and Jack Morris were the most dominant AL pitchers in the '80s (include Dave Stewart into the mix too).

Ruckus

Ahhh Spring Training.  It's that time of year.

1st off, there is tangible excitement this year in Baltimore for the 1st time in apparently a decade and a half.  Do we think that we are going to compete for a playoff spot?  Heck no, but this team might actually have a shot to hit 80 wins if everything falls into place.  Brian Matusz is ready to take the next step as a team ace with Jeremy Guthrie and Brad Bergesen as quality innings eaters.  Add to that the talent of Jake Arrieta, the low cost signing of Justin Duscherer and the likely call up of the lefty sinkerballer Zach Britton and the rotation has some potential to be competitive.  Keep in mind that they played well over .500 ball since the arrival of Buck Showalter. 

The offensive side is even more exciting.  It won't be overpowering but it should be balanced top to bottom with Jones, Markakis and Pie or Scott in the OF with Reynolds, Hardy, Roberts and D Lee in the IF with Wieters at C and Guerrero DHing.

Is it me or is the national media somewhat ignoring the Brewers?  Yeah the Giants and Phillies are great but damn it, if they stay healthy, I'd be just as scared of the Brew Crew with the additions of Greinke and Marcum.