Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

QuoteThe Phillies just got Roy Halladay in a 3-way deal with the Jays and Mariners. Cliff Lee will be moved to either Toronto or Seattle. Roy will eat up the NL; he's still in his prime and got jobbed in this year's Cy Young - he placed a pathetic 5th in voting (look up his ERA, innings pitched, strike outs, complete games and most of all, who Roy pitched against). This is a bad day for the Blue Jays and me: Halladay is my favourite player of all-time; I even like him better than one of the least known dominant pitchers of the '80s and early '90s, Dave  Stieb.

Whenever Greinke won and I looked at the numbers between him and other contenders, I think Greinke was the right choice. Not like he got backed by a lot of production either, and I think the only stat Halladay beat him in was CG's, maybe 1 or 2 more wins.

I think its an upgrade for Philly, although a curious one somewhat considering how good Lee was and Philly loses Happ or Drabek on top of that
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

QuoteThe Phillies just got Roy Halladay in a 3-way deal with the Jays and Mariners. Cliff Lee will be moved to either Toronto or Seattle. Roy will eat up the NL; he's still in his prime and got jobbed in this year's Cy Young - he placed a pathetic 5th in voting (look up his ERA, innings pitched, strike outs, complete games and most of all, who Roy pitched against). This is a bad day for the Blue Jays and me: Halladay is my favourite player of all-time; I even like him better than one of the least known dominant pitchers of the '80s and early '90s, Dave  Stieb.

Whenever Greinke won and I looked at the numbers between him and other contenders, I think Greinke was the right choice. Not like he got backed by a lot of production either, and I think the only stat Halladay beat him in was CG's, maybe 1 or 2 more wins.

I think its an upgrade for Philly, although a curious one somewhat considering how good Lee was and Philly loses Happ or Drabek on top of that

I like Greinke. He's a young version of Halladay. But Greinke didn't face the Yankees and Red Sox on a regular basis like Roy did. Halladay pitched 2 CGs against Boston, 3 against the Yankees, one vs TB (he also pitched a CG going head-to-head with Greinke) - he got another one against LAA. Roy also led the league by a fair margin in innings pitched.

Don't get me wrong, Greinke is a good choice for a Cy Young, but because Roy is/was a Blue Jay, he gets snubbed almost every year. He came in 5th in voting. This is disgusting. The Phillies are going to love him and the rest of the NL will feel fear every time he takes the mound.

.Walt

QuoteWoah, big city life, huh?  Is he still trying to make it in hockey, too?

I'm relieved that story wasn't about Mauer, I hope you all hold onto him!

It's weird reading comments by the sleazy Brain Cashman. Two years ago he was thinking about going back to hockey.

I hope they keep Mauer.  If not that new stadium shouldn't have been built. He doesn't need to take a "hometown" discount.  Pay the brother!
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

capt. scotty

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100111/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbo_steroids_mcgwire

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o ::) ::) ::) ::) :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I think Bonds is too full of himself to ever admit it, but maybe his day will come as well
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

.Walt

Quotehttp://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100111/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbo_steroids_mcgwire

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o ::) ::) ::) ::) :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I think Bonds is too full of himself to ever admit it, but maybe his day will come as well

The guy was a human band-aid. Roids helped him get back to field earlier and hit homeruns. If it weren't for roids, he'd would've been in Japan in 98.

capt. scotty

I dont think he deserves the HoF regardless because all he could do was hit HR's anyway - and he'd have substantially less than his 583 if he didnt roid. His career average is .263, he was an average at best fielder, and the only years he had more than 120 RBI's were 1997-99.

He's hardly even on the HoF ballot if not for 500+ HR's

.Walt

QuoteI dont think he deserves the HoF regardless because all he could do was hit HR's anyway - and he'd have substantially less than his 583 if he didnt roid. His career average is .263, he was an average at best fielder, and the only years he had more than 120 RBI's were 1997-99.

I agree.

Not to be a homer or anything, but isn't it time to put Bert Blyleven in the hall of fame? Every pitcher that has over 300 wins is in the hall of fame. Yeah, he has like 295, but if 300 wins were the status quo back then, he would've (like most players) hung around a little longer to achieve an individual award. He should be in.

Jaimoe

QuoteI dont think he deserves the HoF regardless because all he could do was hit HR's anyway - and he'd have substantially less than his 583 if he didnt roid. His career average is .263, he was an average at best fielder, and the only years he had more than 120 RBI's were 1997-99.

I agree.

Not to be a homer or anything, but isn't it time to put Bert Blyleven in the hall of fame? Every pitcher that has over 300 wins is in the hall of fame. Yeah, he has like 295, but if 300 wins were the status quo back then, he would've (like most players) hung around a little longer to achieve an individual award. He should be in.

Not before Jack Morris. Blyleven was all about the stats; Morris was a winner and wanted the ball in big situations. The main reason he isn't in the hall is that he didn't like the media. Screw them and their thin skins.

.Walt

I agree.

Not before Jack Morris. Blyleven was all about the stats; Morris was a winner and wanted the ball in big situations. The main reason he isn't in the hall is that he didn't like the media. Screw them and their thin skins.

Blyleven wanted the ball. He was huge on complete games. I think he lost more 1-0 complete games then anyone else ever. What Jack Morris did in 1991 was amazing, but I don't think he won more than 200 games (I could be way off). Unfortunately you kinda have to go off stats, which Bert has. He also got screwed on a Cy Young award.  

Jaimoe

I agree.

Blyleven wanted the ball. He was huge on complete games. I think he lost more 1-0 complete games then anyone else ever. What Jack Morris did in 1991 was amazing, but I don't think he won more than 200 games (I could be way off). Unfortunately you kinda have to go off stats, which Bert has. He also got screwed on a Cy Young award.  

Morris had a record of 254-186 with 175 complete games and he was always at or near the top in innings pitched.

1981 - The Sporting News Pitcher of the Year
1984 - Babe Ruth Award
1991 - Babe Ruth Award
1991 - World Series Most Valuable Player
All Star: 1981, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1991
AL Wins Leader: 1981, 1992
AL Strikeouts Leader: 1983
AL Shutouts Leader: 1986

.Walt

Thought I'd be way off. I would like to see Jack in too. Being a homer, it'd be nice to see our radio guy (Jack) and our TV guy (Bert) both make it.

But I'd still vote Bert in first.  ;)

Ruckus

I didnt' want to get into this because I know that Jaimoe is the much more experienced fan.  That said, I always felt Bert didn't get the love he deserved.  If you compare ERA in the same era in the same league, it's not close.  Bert is better.  They should both be in but I'd put Bert in 1st.

I loved that curveball..... :-*
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Jaimoe

QuoteI didnt' want to get into this because I know that Jaimoe is the much more experienced fan.  That said, I always felt Bert didn't get the love he deserved.  If you compare ERA in the same era in the same league, it's not close.  Bert is better.  They should both be in but I'd put Bert in 1st.

I loved that curveball..... :-*

Jack's ERA was higher because he stayed in games longer and battled more. He didn't care about stats. I'm not a big Morris fan, but I admire his guts and determination, and he was a winner. If a team wanted to win the big game, you gave the ball to Morris. However, I think when he was on, Dave Stieb was the best pitcher in the AL in the '80s, including Morris.  

.Walt

Bert did have over 240 complete games. So, it's not like he didn't want the ball. He always praised Roy Halladay during Twins/Jays games because Doc was the only one in the league that actually wanted the ball late in the game. Too bad now he's in the NL. Maybe it's good for him and his future?

Jaimoe

QuoteBert did have over 240 complete games. So, it's not like he didn't want the ball. He always praised Roy Halladay during Twins/Jays games because Doc was the only one in the league that actually wanted the ball late in the game. Too bad now he's in the NL. Maybe it's good for him and his future?

If he gets even decent run-support, Roy will win over 20 per year for the next three seasons. He got terrible run-support for the most part with the Jays.

.Walt

Ladies and Gentlemen...we got'em!

.Walt

I think the AL Central could be one of the toughest divisions in baseball this season. It looks like the Twins are the sexy pick. I think this is the first year our hitting is getting praised. I guess I'm still not used to a player hitting over 30 homeruns. I think we went over 15 years without it happening. The Twins new stadium looks sweet! I'm excited to see some outdoor baseball! Going over to a buddy's house tomorrow. Doing some grilling and watching the Phillies play. Good luck to everyone! (even you Tater)

I bought a new Twins hat to start the season!

TheBigChicken

Sox are losing to the Spankees 2-0..its early....GO RAYS....too bad our payroll includes two beaver pelts and a bushel of fucking corn....if you own a MLB team be ready to spend some money >:(
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

capt. scotty

QuoteSox are losing to the Spankees 2-0..its early....GO RAYS....too bad our payroll includes two beaver pelts and a bushel of fucking corn....if you own a MLB team be ready to spend some money >:(

As a Pirates fan, I respectfully ask you to quit complaining about your payroll

.Walt

QuoteSox are losing to the Spankees 2-0..its early....GO RAYS....too bad our payroll includes two beaver pelts and a bushel of fucking corn....if you own a MLB team be ready to spend some money >:(

I'd be the first to jump in and bitch, but the Twins are spending money this year for the first time. So, I'm just gonna enjoy the 90+ million spent on our roster. What's the stadium talks in Tampa? Is it going to happen?