Main Menu

Ray Lamontagne

Started by Rob, Sep 04, 2006, 12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

Listened to Till the Sun Turns Black last night and remembered why it was my favourite album of last year.

red

Looks like I've got a new most anticipated album of 2008...

RAY LAMONTAGNE TO RELEASE THIRD ALBUM,
'GOSSIP IN THE GRAIN' ON SEPTEMBER 9TH

Lauded singer/songwriter, Ray LaMontagne is set to release his much-anticipated third album, Gossip In The Grain, on September 9th on RCA Records. Recorded with returning producer, Ethan Johns in Box, England, and touching upon a range of styles and musical settings- spanning pastoral folk, railroad blues, front porch country, and plangent balladry - Gossip In The Grain proves to be his most creative and emotionally expansive collection to date.

Whereas LaMontagne's two previous albums, 'Trouble' and 'Till The Sun Turns Black', were largely solo affairs, with Johns serving as multi-tasking instrumentalist, Gossip In The Grain sees him joined by members of his touring band, bassist Jennifer Condos and guitarist Eric Heywood (with Johns largely handling drum duties). Along with his band members, LaMontagne is also joined on two tracks - "A Falling Through" and "I Still Care For You" - by singer/songwriter Leona Naess.

As LaMontagne explains "It was time to open up a little bit more, not be quite so reserved in my choice of songs that I wanted to record. I'm really very critical of myself and it's sort of a process of opening up. I felt like I was in the right space to show that side of myself." Recently called by Vanity Fair "a fresh reminder that the genuine artist is not yet an extinct species," Gossip In The Grain reconfirms Ray LaMontagne as an artist and a craftsman without limits, a songwriter who is able to work his melodic gifts and distinctive lyricism through any of the myriad musical traditions that catches his fancy.

Tracklisting:
1. Let It Be Me
2. Hey Me, Hey Mama
3. Sarah
4. I Still Care For You
5. Winter Birds
6. Meg White
7. Achin' All The Time
8. Henry Nearly Killed Me (It's A Shame)
9. A Falling Through
10. Gossip In The Grain

dragonboy

I was wondering when he'd have a new album out...thanks K, that's GREAT news!
Till The Sun...is an modern classic, no doubt whatsoever!
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Love Dogg

QuoteRAY LAMONTAGNE TO RELEASE THIRD ALBUM,
'GOSSIP IN THE GRAIN' ON SEPTEMBER 9TH

Tracklisting:
1. Let It Be Me
2. Hey Me, Hey Mama
3. Sarah
4. I Still Care For You
5. Winter Birds
[highlight]6. Meg White[/highlight]
7. Achin' All The Time
8. Henry Nearly Killed Me (It's A Shame)
9. A Falling Through
10. Gossip In The Grain

I got this email the other day, too and am very excited.  I'm interested in hearing the Meg White song.  I wonder how it's going to sound and what it's going to say, if it will be nice or naughty or if it's even about the Meg White we know.  Any thoughts?
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Love Dogg

Anybody have any idea where to find the new album "Gossip In The Grain"?  It keeps getting pushed back to October 14 and I've got tickets to see him in Indy on Sept 30.  I really want to be familiar with the songs before I go, ya know?  Anybody?   :-/  PM me.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

dragonboy

Any thoughts on the new track You Are The Best Thing? Certainly not what I was expecting after Till The Sun...but what a beautiful, brilliant track!

http://www.myspace.com/raylamontagne
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

rob

QuoteAny thoughts on the new track You Are The Best Thing? Certainly not what I was expecting after Till The Sun...but what a beautiful, brilliant track!

I like it, but the horrific video for it at the Gossip In The Grain page at Amazon nearly ruined it for me. The Meg White song has been played on NPR. Surprised the album hasn't leaked yet, but kinda glad. Maybe this'll be one I'll actually hear for the first time when I buy the CD. What a concept!
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

dragonboy

QuoteAny thoughts on the new track You Are The Best Thing? Certainly not what I was expecting after Till The Sun...but what a beautiful, brilliant track!

I like it, but the horrific video for it at the Gossip In The Grain page at Amazon nearly ruined it for me. The Meg White song has been played on NPR. Surprised the album hasn't leaked yet, but kinda glad. Maybe this'll be one I'll actually hear for the first time when I buy the CD. What a concept!
Yeah, I watched a few seconds that, thought wtf?!! & then shut the page down  ;D

dragonboy

Love Dogg

Saw Ray last night in Indianapolis, kicking off his new tour.  He played a lot of new stuff.  It sounds really good.  Full band for most of it...a couple crowd of solo songs.  The first time I saw him at Bonnaroo 2005 and I was surprised (I don't know why) at how awesome his voice still is.  He's so strong in the vox.

If you get a chance, go see him.  He's amazing.  Take a girl...obviously.  Or go by yourself and wait (if you know what I mean  ;)).  The new cd is going to be better than the last one but not quite as good as the first one.  But it will be awesome nonetheless.  Meg White is a fun song.

FYI-Ethan Johns is playing drums for him!

dragonboy

QuoteThe new cd is going to be better than the last one but not quite as good as the first one.
Are you serious?! You prefer Trouble to Till The Sun...?!! Trouble is a good debut but Till The Sun...is an untouchable modern classic IMO.

Love Dogg

QuoteThe new cd is going to be better than the last one but not quite as good as the first one.
Are you serious?! You prefer Trouble to Till The Sun...?!! Trouble is a good debut but Till The Sun...is an untouchable modern classic IMO.

Well, it's not like I don't love Sun too, it's just that I thought it was too busy and there were a couple of songs that didn't do it for me.  For example, Empty is one of my favorite songs of all time...EVER, but I like the version he played at Bonnaroo better than the Sun version.  Every song did it for me on Trouble.  I was in a different place in my life with each album, so I'm sure that has its own influence.  Maybe that will change one day.  Let's get this straight...Ray is a bamf.

dragonboy

QuoteRay is a bamf.
Bad...angry....mad & furious??? Yeah I've read that he can be pretty testy  ;)

Any Ray is good Ray, like you said. Pleased you enjoyed the show  :)

red

Just finished listening to Till the Sun Turns Black for the first time in too long.  I still think it's an absolute masterpiece and it likely falls in my top five of this decade.    

dragonboy

dragonboy

Gossip In The Grain...Oooo flute!!!  :D

dragonboy

What a beautiful opener!!!  :'(

EDIT: The track order seems to be different...not the opening song but still beautiful!

dragonboy

A Falling Through...Oooo pedal steel guitar!!!

dragonboy

Henry Nearly Killed Me (It's A Shame)...Ooo Harmonica!!!

dragonboy

Hey Me, Hey Mamma...Ooo Banjo!!!