Black Keys....

Started by bold99, Oct 16, 2008, 02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimsflyingv

better than expected ?

kotchishm

Quote from: jimsflyingv on May 06, 2014, 02:20 AM
better than expected ?

IMO.....yes. Diverse mix of styles and really solid record.
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

ffghtrs

Turn Blue came in early!  SCORE!  It is so good end to end, side to side.  A TO B. and all that jazz.  I love the way Turn Blue sounds,  Fever is delightful tune i wouldn't mind hearing on the radio when i forget my iPod or a CD.  Can't go wrong with any of those tunes on that record.  Man i wish i could write better tunes.
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

parkervb

actually intrigued by the album after the Rolling Stone story and seeing them admit some of the problems with El Camino (too polished, an album of singles). 
Don't you ever turn it off

dookie shoot bandit

After two full listens... I like it A LOT better than el camino.
I thought they definitely rushed that album and sounded too much like Brothers. At least this new album is a new fresh sound!

wolof7

Here's the thing. It's so predictable that this album would get some bad press. Aside from the 2 guys having to open their stupid mouths and say stupid things all the time, the band is somewhat oversaturated at this point. They are nowhere near as intolerable as their brethren sellouts Kings of Leon. However, even I can even admit that I am even growing weary of the Danger Mouse collaboration.

Still, after listening to Turn Blue a few times. I don't care. It's still a solid effort, not their best, not better than Brothers, RF, TF or MP but better than El Camino, A&R, and more listenable than TBCU imho. Everyone slobbers over Jack White as being the lord and Savior of Blues rock but for me it was always the KEYS. I thought they were light years more fun than the ramshackle Stripes. I also got sick of White's voice pretty quickly.

Now they seem to be re-treading some ground and maybe moving latterally but c'mon, they are still much better than most flagship representatives of what can even be considered arena rockers of our time (if that archetype even still exists). I say as long as there some rock n roll in the mix I am in. Gotta Get Away is their best forray into a catchy classic rock tune imho as well.

I guess TB really does fall in the middle for me and at this point what else can you ask for after putting out so many solid efforts. Maybe they will strike gold once again, maybe not but they have earned my attentive ear for all future releases at this point. I can say pretty much the same for MMJ (except I know those guys are all great!).
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Jaimoe

I think the Keys are more rooted in blues than Jack White and his work with the White Stripes, but the latter band was more diverse from the start, mixing in folk, country, garage rock, punk, and blues. I think both The Black Keys and Stripes were the saviour of blues with their own stamp when they first hit the scene. I hate comparing in an either or kind of way. Both are important artists (White's Stripes) and both kick ass, even if the Keys have had a spottier output as of late.

ffghtrs

I don't know if El Camino was rushed or just like hey let's be pop rock addicts.  But fucking Turn Blue man. 1 record of 2014 followed by War on Drugs which is followed by alpha mike foxtrot at the moment because i'm a Wilco nut.  and now i'm way off topic.

SO...I've been super broke lately.  missed the Black Keys again, not tragic but still sad.  now I'm going to miss OBH2 and then top it off, i didn't really like Sturgil Simpson. even though i know i should.  That made me sad.  Mainly the OBH2 but everything else was like wow the music gods are mad at you.  Probably because when people talk about dub step i stop listening and interrupt and correct them.
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

e_wind

You're a wilco but? I knew I liked you....
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

jimsflyingv

Any news on Dan Auerbach´s new solo album ? I believe the first single was about to released May 2nd

http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/features/how-much-would-dan-auerbach-pay-for-a-ticket-to-mayweather-vs-pacquiao-20150430

jimsflyingv

I have to say that Dan Album´s new side project is quite nice. Really like the album it is worth a listen !!!

parkervb

dig it as well. His solo LP and this are better than the last 3 BK albums IMO
Don't you ever turn it off

jimsflyingv

Yesterday I was at the Berlin concert  of Dan Auerbach´s new band "The Arcs". It was a great show. Really worth going to. I highly recommend it.

oistheone

I second the praise for the Arcs live show and raise it ten-fold. What a killer band. I had admittedly burned out on all things Auerbach for the last five or so years, but the Arcs show the other night made me a believer once again. I haven't seen him smile so much on stage, well... ever!

It's clear the band is just a bunch of buddies having a BLAST making music together. The majority of the evening was dedicated to psychedelic jams with searing, note-perfect guitar solos, but the band was so versatile, they easily pulled off country hoedowns, a Daptone-style soul number and even a middle-eastern style raga jam. The core of the Arcs, combined with their special touring mariachi band has resulted in something really special.

A special highlight was that Nick Movshon was (for some reason) barred from entering Canada, so Dan just called up Tommy TNT Brenneck (of the Dap-Kings, Menahan Street Band and Budos Band) to fill in on bass! During the band introductions, Dan explained how special it was to have TNT fill in for the night and then started laughing, saying "he's fucking killing it right now."

Check these guys out while you can! Who knows if they'll do many more shows.

jimsflyingv

I am sure they will do more shows. There was an interesting article on Relix quoting Auerbach that their second album is in the works.
http://www.relix.com/articles/detail/the_arcs_natures_children/P3

There was also another article about their second album being in the works but I don´t find it anymore