Main Menu

Best Albums- 2008

Started by mjkoehler, Nov 26, 2008, 09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FACE

dragonboy

Quoteno. huh.
Not even Fleet Foxes?!! You need to got onboard that cool train J  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

QuoteSeldom Seen Kid has been purchased and listened to 1.5 times. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
How many times now BH...3.2? 4.7?  ;)

How are you liking it? It took me a few listens to get into & a few more to truly fall in love with...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

BH

QuoteSeldom Seen Kid has been purchased and listened to 1.5 times. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
How many times now BH...3.2? 4.7?  ;)

How are you liking it? It took me a few listens to get into & a few more to truly fall in love with...

Lovin' it.  I had a bit of head start with the songs from the Abbey Road special so those are probably my favorite right now, but it's all good.

The percussion on Grounds For Divorce is off the hook.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

dragonboy

Here's my list in some sort of order:

Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
The Black Keys - Attack & Release
DBT - Brighter Than Creations Dark
Nick Cave - Dig!!! Lazarus Dig
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Shearwater - Rook
Goldfrapp - 7th Tree
Pete Molinari - A Virtual Landslide
The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
Kings Of Leon - Only By The Night
Cat Power - Jukebox
James Blackshaw - Litany of Echoes
The Roots - Rising Down
Sigur Ros - Meo Suo
The Last Shadow Puppets - The Age Of Understatement
Ray LaMontagne - Gossip In The Grain
Peter Bruntnell - Peter & The Murder of Crows
Coldplay - Viva La Viva
Oasis - Dig Out Your Soul
GlasVegas - GlasVegas
Neon Neon - Stainless Style
Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple

Albums I've bought but haven't played yet:
Verve - 4th
Portishead - 3rd
Tony Christie - Made In Sheffield

I've probably forgotten a few...

mjkoehler

QuoteAlbums I've bought but haven't played yet:
Verve - 4th
Portishead - 3rd
Tony Christie - Made In Sheffield

I've probably forgotten a few...
Curious how Tony pans out. What you shared before I enjoyed. Hell, if there is a Pulp song on it, its gotta be good. Right?

dragonboy

QuoteCurious how Tony pans out. What you shared before I enjoyed. Hell, if there is a Pulp song on it, its gotta be good. Right?
I have it waiting for me back home so I'll have it next week. It got good reviews in the UK press, I saw a couple of 3/5s & one 4/5.

mjkoehler

QuoteCurious how Tony pans out. What you shared before I enjoyed. Hell, if there is a Pulp song on it, its gotta be good. Right?
I have it waiting for me back home so I'll have it next week. It got good reviews in the UK press, I saw a couple of 3/5s & one 4/5.
Nice. I would imagine there is a music shopping trip or 3 in your immediate future.

dragonboy

I already have a huge pile of CDs & DVDs waiting for me @ my sister's.
I took advantage of the exchange rate & ordered a shitload over the last couple of months  ;D

mjkoehler

wise choice. Sadly, we here are getting hosed on the exchange rate.

dragonboy

Did nobody else mention Cat Power's Jukebox because they forgot about it (way back in Jan!) or because they just don't rate it so highly?

I love it!  :)

red

QuoteDid nobody else mention Cat Power's Jukebox because they forgot about it (way back in Jan!) or because they just don't rate it so highly?

I love it!  :)
i don't rate it so highly (except "song for bobby", which i love love love).  have you checked out that new companion ep that just came out?

dragonboy

Not yet but it was reading about it that reminded me of Jukebox...

1. Dark End Of The Street
2. Fortunate Son
3. Ye Auld Triangle
4. I've Been Loving You Too Long
5. Who Knows Where The Time Goes
6. It Ain't Fair

James Carr? CCR?! Otis?!! Fairport?!!!

ALady

Eek, gotta disagree on that one, dragonboy.  I'm not a fan of Cat Power to begin with, but I checked out her set at Lolla anyway.  Her cover of "Fortunate Son" was the most toothless rendition of that song I've ever heard.   :-[

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

buzzman1

some good albums listed on here yet no mention of luna by the aliens (ex beta band members). superb album as is their first astronomy for dogs! robot man is a tune!! ;D

also enjoying the elbow love ;) just entered a comp to hopefully see them at abbey road performing the seldom seen kid in january,fingers crossed!

anyway in no particular order

glasvegas
dennis wilson/pacific ocean blue (reissue i know)
neon neon/stainless style
late of the pier/fantasy black channel
mmj/eu
elbow/the seldom seen kid
tv on the radio/dear science
mgmt/oracular spectacular
luna/the aliens
born ruffians/red yellow and blue

and possibly my fav of the year nights out by metronomy. 8-)

also has anyone heard of amazing baby? seen them a few weeks back supporting mgmt. really enjoyed them. think their from brooklyn?

panda

can we just all agree and go with Only by the Night by Kings of Leon?

dragonboy

QuoteEek, gotta disagree on that one, dragonboy.  I'm not a fan of Cat Power to begin with, but I checked out her set at Lolla anyway.  Her cover of "Fortunate Son" was the most toothless rendition of that song I've ever heard.   :-[

I love Jukebox but don't have the Dark End Of the Street EP yet. After your comment I won't be in such a hurry to buy it  ;D

red

i really dug that in-studio clip of ''dark end of the street'' that was around just before 'jukebox' came out.  maybe i'll brave the water first and check out the ep.  

:D

dragonboy

Quotemaybe i'll brave the water first and check out the ep.  

:D
You crazy Daredevil you!

red

;D ;D ;D

sincerely,
K(NIEVEL)