Main Menu

breakup music

Started by wellfleet, Jul 21, 2006, 11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wellfleet

name your favourite "fuck-you-i-hope-i-never-see-your-stupid-stupid-stupid-face-again" songs!!!

or, alternately...

the horrible, awful, sucky songs you sulk to when you get dumped.

i love adam sandler belting out "love stinks" in the Wedding Singer.

everything sucks. really.

tomEisenbraun

oh no....i hope you're alright...

the girl i dated for over a year would use Damien Rice emotional heroin. i highly suggest against it. that said, happy go lucky bullshit is exactly that: bullshit. but don't delve into the bottomless pits of emotinal heroin type stuff. i would highly prescribe Andrew Bird's Weather Systems album. And all of At Dawn. maybe "Turn of the Century" by Pete Yorn.

and i wrote one recently that i'll record soon that may fit the bill (no quite as strongly, but definitely a wanting-to-end-the-association type of thing)
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

SMc55

I know it's a cliche, but I don't think you can beat Gloria Gaynor's I will Survive.

aMD

good thread.

Bob Dylan has a ton of great "anti-love songs", so to speak.  Two of the best are "Don't Think Twice It's Alright" and "Most Likely You'll Go Your Way (I'll Go Mine)" "You know you told me / That you want to hold me / but you know you're not that strong.

Also, "Song for the Dumped" by Ben Folds.  "So you wanted to take a break / Slow it down some and have some space ? Well, fuck you too!"

Jellyfish

Looks Like Rain....Grateful Dead.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

JacketGal

Beck's Sea Change is a great break-up record, the entire thing!! And as someone suggested, Dylan is great, especially Blood on the Tracks.

Also as a woman, I would play Aretha a lot, just blast it, dance, sing and get it out!! :)

"You're no good, heartbreaker, you're a liar and you're a cheat...and I don't know whyyyyy, you do these things to me..."

Good luck.
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

marktwain

"Understand YOur Man"  by Johnny Cash

It is THe Ultimate.

MyLifeISought

QuoteBeck's Sea Change is a great break-up record, the entire thing!! And as someone suggested, Dylan is great, especially Blood on the Tracks.

I was definitely going to say "Golden Age" by back. I wallowed to that last fall during a particularly nasty one...
"Music is my savior
I was tamed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
Got my name from rock and roll"
-Wilco

aMD

QuoteBeck's Sea Change is a great break-up record, the entire thing!! And as someone suggested, Dylan is great, especially Blood on the Tracks.

Good call! Another good breakup album is "Comes a Time" by Neil Young

wellfleet

dylan's "love sick" just kills me...

and "say hello, wave good-bye" by david gray

"sea change" is a break-up record. it hurts to listen to it, you can totally feel the anguish.
everything sucks. really.

dragonboy

Quote"say hello, wave good-bye" by david gray
I love this song, the lyrics are perfect for this thread. White Ladder is a good break up album, This Years Love is another track that comes to mind.
You do know Say Hello... was originally written & recorded by Marc Almond of Soft Cell?  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ratsprayer

when i try to think of certain albums or songs, it's all blank, but i usually go with a certain mood of music rather than specifc lyrics.  THE MOON AND ANTARCTICA by modest mouse has quite a few 'fuck you' songs on it, and i think it's a great listen, no matter what mood you're in.

i love the lyric..."it took a lot of work to be the ass i am, but i'm really damn sure that anyone can equally easily fuck ya over."  

oh yeah ween's 12 COUNTRY GREATS has the song piss up a rope.  that's a great one, too.  

songs ohia always work for a somber mood, i've found.

primushead

I'll have to agree with Ben Folds "Song for the Dumped".

It's perfection.

tomEisenbraun

ahhh..."Translation" from the Songs:Ohia section of the sSplit EP is perfect.

that mood. gosh. there was a time when i could not stop listening to that song.

"there is nothing liable like change"
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

BH

How about Ugly Kid Joe's I hate everything about you. What a brilliant song that was. ;)

rats, Moon and Antartica is one of my alltime favorites!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ratsprayer

rats, Moon and Antartica is one of my alltime favorites!

yeah definitely!  i think it just edges out THE LONESOME CROWDED WEST for my favourite modest mouse album.  

BH

agreed. and i would put building nothing out of something 3rd even though I guess it's a compilation and not an "album"
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Dee.

Cat Stevens: Last Love Song

BEST SONG EVER.  It's a delight.

if you don't love me
please don't treat me this way
cause i can't stand it
i see our love slipping away
did you think you could just! put! me! down!
like a worn out shoe
cause if you don't want me
maybe i don't want you

Ohhhh, I love the way he sings this.  
It amuses me so.

MyLifeISought

Positively 4th Street

You got a lotta nerve
To say you are my friend
When I was down
You just stood there grinning

then, at the end:

I wish that for just one time
You could stand inside my shoes
And just for that one moment
I could be you

Yes, I wish that for just one time
You could stand inside my shoes
You'd know what a drag it is
To see you

ouch!!
"Music is my savior
I was tamed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
Got my name from rock and roll"
-Wilco

EC

kind of an aside...

one time a dude and i broke up and he was giving me the old "i'm no good for you anyway" bullshit, "i'm just a rambler and i can't make ties and i like to be free."  you ladies have heard this before, i'm sure. ;)  and probably you fellas, as well.

anyhow, i didn't actually care too much, which caused some tension (i think i was supposed to be devastated or something) so i go to a show that he's playing.  he sees me walk in, stops the song he's playing, and starts SCREAMING the words to "it aint me, babe" directly to me.  

what can one do in that situation?  laugh.  laugh and look around and shrug your shoulders at the gaping-mouthed audience.  ;)

yep.

so that, i think, constitutes as a breakup song. :)