White Stripes - Icky Thump

Started by Bermuda_Hitchhiker, Mar 01, 2007, 04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

Quotehttp://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/43589-the-white-stripes-iicky-thumpi-due-on-usb-drive

uh.
well.
uh.
i think they have just ruined the music for me.
how dumb.

...imo?
(do i even need to say that? does anyone disagree with me?)

a little unnecassary? yes. ruining music? no
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Jenny

Quotehttp://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/43589-the-white-stripes-iicky-thumpi-due-on-usb-drive

uh.
well.
uh.
i think they have just ruined the music for me.
how dumb.

...imo?
(do i even need to say that? does anyone disagree with me?)

a little unnecassary? yes. ruining music? no

not ruining music.
but ruining their music, specifically.
my respect level for them has gone down like 8 noches... simply because it's just soooooooo lame.
i really have no other reason...
it's so unauthentic. so not... correct.

ugh.

bug

:(  don't let it ruin The White Stripes for you ... they have always had strange and different types of merch.  Their hardcore fans really eat it up and their stuff is highly collectible.  I can tell you that this is probably going to be a FANTASTIC album.  Don't be put off by something that silly.  
Detroit Cobras @ The Mad Hatter, Covington KY - 7/11/07
Squirrel Nut Zippers @ Jim Porters, Louisville, KY - 7/18/07

red

Impressions after my first spin:

Umm...yes!!!!!

Jaimoe

I could care less what they do format-wise. It's about the music, and their music is fucking great.

Dee.

http://www.mtv.com/music/the_leak/the_white_stripes/icky_thump/

There are only gonna be 6,666 of those USB thingies. No big.

I am loving the new album so far. Need to listen more...

knotcameloose

300 mph blues
seemed to catch me first...cool tune.

Dorothy_Mantooth

seems pretty foward-thinking to throw your album on a thumb drive. Christ, i have thousands of cd's sitting around, doing nothing because they're all loaded onto this computer. Sometimes, i truly can't believe that cd's are still around. but then i remember that people like my mom are the ones keeping cd's alive.
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

Dorothy_Mantooth

by the way, this album has some gaelic influence happening.
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

red

bug

They were great on Conan! :)

I got my album in the mail last night with a cool picture 45, I'll post a pic of it later.  I listened to the CD while making supper and it's pretty awesome.  Bone Broke, Catch Hell Blues and Little Cream Soda rocked my socks off.  

(my dog doesn't seem to like Meg's cymbal smashing though, he kept barking when that was all you could hear  ;D )

red

I'm so in love with this album already.  "You Don't Know What Love Is...", "Rag and Bone", "Catch Hell Blues" and "Effect and Cause" are my favourites after about five spins.  

They sure did rock on Conan; that guitar Jack used on "Effect and Cause" was beautiful.

Less than two weeks!   8-)

MMJ_fanatic

I'm 'bout to pick this hot little biscuit up!  Very much looking forward to hearing it--I plan on buying completely blind with no previews!!!!  Saucy!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

bug

Well if you don't want to hear it before you get home or back in the car or whatever, put your ear plugs in when you go into the record store.  I went into ear xtacy today and they were playing the whole album.  I preordered mine through insound to get a free 7 inch picture disc and it arrived last night so I'd already heard it but otherwise that would have been my first listen.  

mjkoehler

Buying right this very second off of Itunes as I do not have a good record story in my little town, and I do not feel like funkin around at Best Buy or some other mega store. Also, if you buy through Itunes you get a bonus track. (Baby Brother). Going to work out in 1/2 hour and this will be blastin.

ManNamedTruth

[smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif]
I give it two thumbs up. Might be my album of the year. I'm not crazy about the song Icky Thump but the riff is really good. I could do without the la la la la la la's. It did sound a lot better live on conan last night.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Jaimoe

It's a great album. Challenging, unpredictable and hard rocking, with enough heavy doses of North Mississippi Delta blues to keep Robert Johnson's ghost happy. l loved the title track the first time I heard it, but other songs on Icky are better, like "300 M.P.H. Torrential Outpour Blues", "Rag and Bone" and "Bone Broke".

In a recent interview, Jack said that he grew up watching Canadian TV (probably the CBC affiliate in Windsor) knowing he had Canadian roots - his dad would tell him that their family was from Nova Scotia. Jack became fascinated by famous distant Canadian cousins performing on the CBC like Buddy McMaster and his more famous daugher Natalie. He's also said to be related to fiddle wiz Ashley MacIsaac and wants to meet him when the Stripes play Glace Bay, Nova Scotia later this summer - expect a guest jam on "Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn". It's every bit a "Down East" tune as it is an Irish dirge. And you know what, Jack does look a bit like Natalie: http://www.nataliemacmaster.com/

The White Stripes Canadian tour is one of the most ambitious tours ever. If you know your geography including population densities and demographics, then you know this is incredible. The Stripes will literally be performing in some northern outposts in Canada's arctic (places no big act would ever play), like Iqaluit in Nunavut  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nunavut, and even Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories. This ain't like playing Anchorage Alaska. It's far more remote and isolated. The idea to play every Canadian province and territory is amazing.  

TheBigChicken

Listen to it around 50 times and then form an opinion. So far it sounds really good
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Angry Ewok

It's a'ight. Call me nuts, but I swore I heard some early Zeppelin-ish sounds for a second.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

mjkoehler

QuoteIt's a'ight. Call me nuts, but I swore I heard some early Zeppelin-ish sounds for a second.

I think your right, it's smattered in there here and there amongst other things.

QuoteThe White Stripes Canadian tour is one of the most ambitious tours ever. If you know your geography including population densities and demographics, then you know this is incredible. The Stripes will literally be performing in some northern outposts in Canada's arctic (places no big act would ever play), like Iqaluit in Nunavut  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nunavut, and even Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories. This ain't like playing Anchorage Alaska. It's far more remote and isolated. The idea to play every Canadian province and territory is amazing.

That's fucking awesome!