Main Menu

Mountain Jam V

Started by bold99, Jan 09, 2009, 01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

Wasnt directing that at you Ghosts.....moreso pennylane, sassbox, alady, and a few other haters (mostly wimmins too, hmm...  ;))

Not sure how you correlate some random hippie at Bonnaroo with a Phish phan though. Maybe he/she was, but if so, Bonnaroo is the last place you wanna make a generalization from what I hear. And def never had anyone come up to me or my friends and ask for help to beat up a cop  ;D

From my experience, the most fun pre, during, and post show is a Phish concert. Im only 24, but Ive seen my fair share of a bunch of bands, and talking strictly 1 bands show at wherever, Phish is as good as it gets.

Ive seen a couple better actual concerts than Phish (MMJ Iowa City  :P ), but a lot of my best concert experiences are Phish shows

For the most part, you either love em or hate em, but all Im asking is dont generalize Bonnaroo scoundrels with phans who actually would want to see a show
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteWasnt directing that at you Ghosts.....moreso pennylane, sassbox, alady, and a few other haters (mostly wimmins too, hmm...  ;))

Not sure how you correlate some random hippie at Bonnaroo with a Phish phan though. Maybe he/she was, but if so, Bonnaroo is the last place you wanna make a generalization from what I hear. And def never had anyone come up to me or my friends and ask for help to beat up a cop  ;D

From my experience, the most fun pre, during, and post show is a Phish concert. Im only 24, but Ive seen my fair share of a bunch of bands, and talking strictly 1 bands show at wherever, Phish is as good as it gets.

Ive seen a couple better actual concerts than Phish (MMJ Iowa City  :P ), but a lot of my best concert experiences are Phish shows

For the most part, you either love em or hate em, but all Im asking is dont generalize Bonnaroo scoundrels with phans who actually would want to see a show

No, I hear ya. I'm not really talking about Phish fans in general. I've been to my fair share of Jam shows and fests (Mostly when I was a little younger). Moreso the lifers that live at shows, sell drugs, veggie burritos, ect. to make it to the next show. THats a hard life and one that I personally would never want, so I guess I commend them for surviving through it, if thats how they want to live. I bought in to it when I first started going to like, Further Fest when I was 15, But it ended up being so phony to me. All the "Peace and Love" was bullshit, people selling fake mushrooms, and begging for money cause "their brother just got busted"...I heard that a million times. People do what they have to to get by when they don't have any money. THen you see the ones with little kids, babies sometimes, touring with some band. Get a fucking life, cuase it's not just yours anymore, like your baby wants to be out in 95 degree weather watching Ratdog every fucking day for 3 months. Or you go to a biscuits show and 3/4 of the crowd is fucked up on meth, to the point where the band themselves had to tell them to cool out. It's fucking annoying. I know I'm ranting, but I'm trying to explain what it is exactly that bothers me about the scene. I'm all for people going to see a band because they dig them, hanging with friends and having a good time, with or without drugs. Do what makes you happy. Just don't ask me for money. ;)
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

capt. scotty

Yeah...'lifers' and their go alongs can be interesting for a minute, but mostly just seem like kids who somehow havent realized they cant follow some band that (since phish broke up) sucks anyway.

I never actually heard people proclaiming peace & love or getting kumbaya going,but its not the 70s anymore. Thats just a shot and a dream.

And if anyones following Ratdog for 3 months, the jokes on them  ;D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Penny Lane

maybe because all the phish fans i know were trustafarian, birkenstock-wearing psuedo hippies who think phish is the next grateful dead; i am suspect because i don't understand the fascination w/the music. any movement w/no central focus on the music is just a party. (this is MY OPINION). i'm also not saying rich suburb kids from CT can't like a band--but when all the ones i know fit a profile (Unlike deadheads or jacket fans) it makes me suspect-- i like some of phish's music but probably about 10 songs out of 10 albums--(i don't count the live albums) i was bombarded w/them in college and i just don't understand traveling 3 states to see 'fluffhead' performed live? i'm not saying all phish fans are like this--this has been my experience. i realize there are some true fans who love the music and enjoy the shows--just as the deadheads used to--it's just something i don't get but i can appreciate the fact that others do--i also really don't understand the way the earth rotates on its axis but that doesn't make it less true or great--just my opinion

however, i admit that i've never been to a show (and never had a reason to as i'm not drawn to their music) but i will be curious to see them at bonnaroo.

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

mjkoehler

I'm with Penny on this one. Never really cared for their music. My experience with the fans, and it's fairly limited since I could care less for their music, is about the same also. If that's your thing, then hey go for it. Whatever trips your trigger, I'll just go watch what interests me and leave it be.

Sassbox

W-w-w-wait!  How'd I get labeled a hater?  I'm just not a fan of their music...tried it, not my cup of tea.  That said, if they show up at Bonnaroo and I have nothing else going on, I'll give them another shot.  Also, ALady is a HUGE Phish fan.  

But...as far as your "mostly women" comment, I'll just quote the band that started it all:  THAT'S RIGHT, THE WOMEN ARE SMARTER!  ;)

:)

God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

thebigbang

Quotejeez...buncha Phish haters on this board, makes me wanna cry  :'(

Whats the big deal with going to a show/festy with a bunch of drug-seeking, fun-loving hippies??

are they really ruining your experience??

it seems a lot better to me than the fratboys and phonetalkers who seem to be at every MMJ show these days, no?

I'd also like to add that I'm not a Phish hater, but in answer to your questions-- Yes, they are ruining my experience.  The last MMJ show I went to two people passed out within ten feet of me. One vomited about two feet from me, almost splashing me.  A fourth came up to me and tapped me on the shoulder and tried to speak but couldn't because he was so messed up (probably acid). He had two friends following him around laughing at his bad trip. Some friends.

I use to love the crowds at MMJ shows. Great vibe.  But once the drug crowd started attending in big numbers, they've become much less enjoyable.  I'll take the phone talkers anyday over being around a bunch of immature druggies.

And if you don't like hearing this, I hope others start speaking up and let others know that they don't appreciate being around the drugs. I know I've never spoke out much about such things, but, since you asked . . .
Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

capt. scotty

Quotemaybe because all the phish fans i know were trustafarian, birkenstock-wearing psuedo hippies who think phish is the next grateful dead

i was bombarded w/them in college and i just don't understand traveling 3 states to see 'fluffhead' performed live?

however, i admit that i've never been to a show (and never had a reason to as i'm not drawn to their music) but i will be curious to see them at bonnaroo.

-Im pretty sure they already are/were/are the next Grateful Dead

-Since they havent played Fluffhead in nearly a decade it seems, I would certainly travel 3 states for one.

-If youve never seen them, do that first then figure out if theyreall that or not. I understand what you saying with it being more of a party (and it is, but isnt bonnaroo?) than the music for some, but trust me, a lot of fans are their for the music. You wouldnt have people paying 400-500$$ for tickets to Hampton if it wasnt about the music

....and last I checked, Bonnaroo isnt a guarantee although they did leave those dates conspicuously open when they announced 10 shwos last week

capt. scotty

QuoteW-w-w-wait!  How'd I get labeled a hater?  I'm just not a fan of their music...tried it, not my cup of tea.  That said, if they show up at Bonnaroo and I have nothing else going on, I'll give them another shot.  Also, ALady is a HUGE Phish fan.  

But...as far as your "mostly women" comment, I'll just quote the band that started it all:  THAT'S RIGHT, THE WOMEN ARE SMARTER!  ;)

I remember in that Jazzfest thread both of you were saying you were happy Phish and their fans wouldnt be there, so thats how you got grouped in.

I also just found it funny most of the people who Ive seen express their dislike for Phish happened to be the ladies of the board (and MJ saw Twilight and enjoyed it, so maybe he counts too  ;))

And I probably agree with you women are smarter, or at least more responsible. However, men can pee standing up and are better drivers  ;D

Ghosts_on_TV

Quotemaybe because all the phish fans i know were trustafarian, birkenstock-wearing psuedo hippies who think phish is the next grateful dead

i was bombarded w/them in college and i just don't understand traveling 3 states to see 'fluffhead' performed live?

-Since they havent played Fluffhead in nearly a decade it seems, I would certainly travel 3 states for one.

-If youve never seen them, do that first then figure out if theyreall that or not. I understand what you saying with it being more of a party (and it is, and isnt bonnaroo?) than the music for some, but trust, a lot of phans are their for the music. You wouldnt have people paying 400-500$$ for tickets to Hampton if it wasnt about the music

....and last I checked, Bonnaroo isnt a guarantee although they did leave those dates conspicuously open when they announced 10 shwos last week

They are playing Bonnaroo. Count on it.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Sassbox

Touche!  Yeah, I wouldn't want Phish at JazzFest...the Fairgrounds are really not that large and I'm already concerned about how large of a crowd DMB will bring in this year (I was there the last time they played and it was the one and only day in 20 years that I left early because there were so many people crowding that one stage that it actually felt dangerous).

Insofar as drugs and alcohol...live and let live.  But when your living starts infringing on my living, it ain't cool.  

And apparently women can also stand while peeing...one did it right next to me at MMJ's Louisville show!  :)

capt. scotty

Quotejeez...buncha Phish haters on this board, makes me wanna cry  :'(

Whats the big deal with going to a show/festy with a bunch of drug-seeking, fun-loving hippies??

are they really ruining your experience??

it seems a lot better to me than the fratboys and phonetalkers who seem to be at every MMJ show these days, no?

I'd also like to add that I'm not a Phish hater, but in answer to your questions-- Yes, they are ruining my experience.  The last MMJ show I went to two people passed out within ten feet of me. One vomited about two feet from me, almost splashing me.  A fourth came up to me and tapped me on the shoulder and tried to speak but couldn't because he was so messed up (probably acid). He had two friends following him around laughing at his bad trip. Some friends.

I use to love the crowds at MMJ shows. Great vibe.  But once the drug crowd started attending in big numbers, they've become much less enjoyable.  I'll take the phone talkers anyday over being around a bunch of immature druggies.

And if you don't like hearing this, I hope others start speaking up and let others know that they don't appreciate being around the drugs. I know I've never spoke out much about such things, but, since you asked . . .

In my experience at shows, drunks are the most annoying people. Typically unless I was in a cramped somewhat small indoor venue though, Ive never had a problem with anyone else at any show.

Second, I just posed a lighthearted question. I wasnt condoning drugs or anything, so Im not sure why you jumped on your high horse and call me out like im Timothy Leary passing out doses in dozens to hipsters at MMJ shows. Im not the guy who almost puked on you, sorry.

People even get tore up at Kenny Chesney shows for christ sake. Your points have nothing to do with Phish, their fans, or their shows.

Penny Lane

-If youve never seen them, do that first then figure out if theyreall that or not. I understand what you saying with it being more of a party (and it is, and isnt bonnaroo?) than the music for some, but trust, a lot of phans are their for the music. You wouldnt have people paying 400-500$$ for tickets to Hampton if it wasnt about the music

i'll check out their show at bonnaroo--it will probably be a fun show but nothing more. when the music doesn't stand on its own, it loses credibility. i really dug a few songs from farmhouse and billy breathes but i think so many songrwriters blow trey out of the water--it's the same widespread panic--the shows i've been to are awesome, then i put on an album...and i'm like...is there a song in there?? lol...

in any case, maybe bonnaroo will change my mind....doubt it though.

capt. scotty

When it comes to lyrics, certainly Trey and Tom Marshall are no Bob Dylan, but they still express a lot more in their music than many bands do with words.

If they play Bonnaroo, I might actually have to make my 1st trip to it to see them. Im sure theyll rock out, have a few people sit in, and play some rare tunes or covers.

And if you like the shows but not the albums, just go for live albums. You can get any show you want through various torrent sites, etc (and obviously could bonnaroo if they play it), but they also have I dont even know how many of those Live Phish official releases

Penny Lane

thanks capt, the day i start downloading phish shows will be a desperate time for me as far as music (lol).  i have many bad flashbacks to dorm room bouncin round the room sessions. --don't feel bad, it's kind of like me trying to turn people on to the verve or trying to sell the greatness of Wings or Steely Dan..if you don't connect, then you don't connect.  i'll check them out at bonnaroo and let you know. you should DEF head down to bonnaroo if you've never been they are playing! nothing like it.

Sassbox

LOL.  Hey, Wings was the first album I ever bought!  I think I was 12 and my parents took me ice skating and then I was allowed to pick out two albums at the record store.  The other one was Captain and Tennille.  Gah.

capt. scotty

Quotethanks capt, the day i start downloading phish shows will be a desperate time for me as far as music (lol).  i have many bad flashbacks to dorm room bouncin round the room sessions. --don't feel bad, it's kind of like me trying to turn people on to the verve or trying to sell the greatness of Wings or Steely Dan..if you don't connect, then you don't connect.  i'll check them out at bonnaroo and let you know. you should DEF head down to bonnaroo if you've never been they are playing! nothing like it.

gotcha....i did kind of throw up in my mouth a little bit when you picked that Steely Dan album like 4th overall in the debut album draft

Penny Lane

Quotethanks capt, the day i start downloading phish shows will be a desperate time for me as far as music (lol).  i have many bad flashbacks to dorm room bouncin round the room sessions. --don't feel bad, it's kind of like me trying to turn people on to the verve or trying to sell the greatness of Wings or Steely Dan..if you don't connect, then you don't connect.  i'll check them out at bonnaroo and let you know. you should DEF head down to bonnaroo if you've never been they are playing! nothing like it.

gotcha....i did kind of throw up in my mouth a little bit when you picked that Steely Dan album like 4th overall in the debut album draft

what do you expect--i'm a browns fan --you're steelers--the two shall never meet in the middle

Penny Lane

QuoteLOL.  Hey, Wings was the first album I ever bought!  I think I was 12 and my parents took me ice skating and then I was allowed to pick out two albums at the record store.  The other one was Captain and Tennille.  Gah.

nice!! My first 45 was billy idol 'eyes w/out a face' and steve winwood's 'valerie'

Sassbox

I am SO dating myself here.  My first 45s were Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl", The Box Tops "The Letter", and whoever sang that song "This Diamond Ring".  I think I was 8.