Main Menu

Mountain Jam V

Started by bold99, Jan 09, 2009, 01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

QuoteI am SO dating myself here.  My first 45s were Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl", The Box Tops "The Letter", and whoever sang that song "This Diamond Ring".  I think I was 8.
shakey and alex chilton at 8?  you were clearly the coolest 8 year old ever!

ALady

QuoteW-w-w-wait!  How'd I get labeled a hater?  I'm just not a fan of their music...tried it, not my cup of tea.  That said, if they show up at Bonnaroo and I have nothing else going on, I'll give them another shot.  Also, ALady is a HUGE Phish fan.  

This is true.  I used to follow them a bit back in the day, and I've already requested my tickets for the upcoming Alpine Valley shows.  :D  (If I've expressed any displeasure at seeing them at other fests, it's just because I already have plans to see them and wouldn't mind seeing some other bands this summer, too   ;D )

I've studied music all my life, and for what it's worth, I think Phish are tremendously talented.  You kind of have to be in order to be able to improvise in a long format as they do.  The way that Phish can take a simple melody and deconstruct it, reconstruct it, deconstruct it again in a completely different way, and build to a soaring climax...man, it just doesn't get much better than that.  I have a couple Phish boots that still give me chills, years later, after I've listened to them probably thousands of times.

If you're looking for perfect three-minute pop song structure, you probably won't dig Phish.  But that doesn't mean that what they do isn't good.  
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

capt. scotty

Quotethanks capt, the day i start downloading phish shows will be a desperate time for me as far as music (lol).  i have many bad flashbacks to dorm room bouncin round the room sessions. --don't feel bad, it's kind of like me trying to turn people on to the verve or trying to sell the greatness of Wings or Steely Dan..if you don't connect, then you don't connect.  i'll check them out at bonnaroo and let you know. you should DEF head down to bonnaroo if you've never been they are playing! nothing like it.

gotcha....i did kind of throw up in my mouth a little bit when you picked that Steely Dan album like 4th overall in the debut album draft

what do you expect--i'm a browns fan --you're steelers--the two shall never meet in the middle

im glad we decided who has good taste then  ;D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ghosts_on_TV

Eagles Steelers in the Super Bowl? You n I will have to start throwing some money around.  8-)
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

ManNamedTruth

QuoteYou see the show at Star Lake in 2003 True??

Ive seen them over 40 times, and that show was def 1 of the top few Ive seen, if not the best

They always bust out nasty shows in the Burgh

Yeah, that was the one I was at.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

bold99

Quotemaybe because all the phish fans i know were trustafarian, birkenstock-wearing psuedo hippies who think phish is the next grateful dead

i was bombarded w/them in college and i just don't understand traveling 3 states to see 'fluffhead' performed live?

however, i admit that i've never been to a show (and never had a reason to as i'm not drawn to their music) but i will be curious to see them at bonnaroo.

-Im pretty sure they already are/were/are the next Grateful Dead

-Since they havent played Fluffhead in nearly a decade it seems, I would certainly travel 3 states for one.

-If youve never seen them, do that first then figure out if theyreall that or not. I understand what you saying with it being more of a party (and it is, but isnt bonnaroo?) than the music for some, but trust me, a lot of fans are their for the music. You wouldnt have people paying 400-500$$ for tickets to Hampton if it wasnt about the music

....and last I checked, Bonnaroo isnt a guarantee although they did leave those dates conspicuously open when they announced 10 shwos last week

For anyone who thinks the Dead crowd and Phish crowd are the same don't believe it.  I witnessed this first hand when Trey and Mike opened for Phil on a tour a few summers ago.  My friend and I sat in the parking lot and just played a game to see if we could pick the people who where there to see Trey and the ones to see Phil.  I know this is generalizing but its pretty night and day.  I know there are a lot of people who just love the music for both and thats great.  I've seen Phish a few times and thought they were ok but the crowd just completely turned me off.  Its funny I've read so many great things about the MMJ NYE show and the only negative stuff (like on the jambase review comments) are from Phish fans who have to make sure you know that no band is as great as Phish that in no way could MMJ be like Phish but what they don't realized most of the time is that MMJ are not trying to be like Phish but somehow it always comes back to that comparison.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

capt. scotty

As far as comparing the Dead and Phish, I wasnt really saying that based on the crowd/scene.

Moreso theyre just the pre-eminent jam band and have been that for the last decade+, and fans of the band travel to see them just like the Dead back in the day.

I understand what youre saying, but I think part of that is also most of the crowd that would call themselves Dead fans more than Phish are a little older, so thats part of the reason why shows might not be as crazy. I like the Dead too, but Id take a Phish show any day of the week over them.

I know what youre saying about the MMJ trashing over at jambase, but last I checked, its not just Phish fans. Its mostly just people who pretty much solely listen to jam bands it seems and since MMJ doesnt have 15 minute jams, they arent deserving to be 1 of the most highly regarded bands over at that site for these stupid reasons.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ALady

See, every hardcore Deadhead I know tells me the same thing, that the Phish crowd is totally different from the Dead crowd, but I just don't see it.  I never saw the Dead back in the day, but I've seen Ratdog and Phil Lesh recently, and those crowds struck me about the same as the Phish crowds back in the day.  Maybe a little older, but aren't we all a little older now?

It'll be interesting to compare the Phish crowds and the Dead crowds this summer.  I think there will be a lot of new (and super young) fans at both.

pawpaw

Ha! It's funny how outspoken people get about Phish...from both sides. I love 'em, and am very excited for the tour this summer, though I probably won't make it to a show.

I think we need our own thread...I'll go resurrect one, or start a new one for us!

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

bold99

QuoteSee, every hardcore Deadhead I know tells me the same thing, that the Phish crowd is totally different from the Dead crowd, but I just don't see it.  I never saw the Dead back in the day, but I've seen Ratdog and Phil Lesh recently, and those crowds struck me about the same as the Phish crowds back in the day.  Maybe a little older, but aren't we all a little older now?

It'll be interesting to compare the Phish crowds and the Dead crowds this summer.  I think there will be a lot of new (and super young) fans at both.

I honestly think its soooo different.  Capt's points about the age might be right but I know a lot of younger Deadheads who just get into the music and thats it.   They heard American Beauty and start getting into Jerry and the whole history of the band.  With Phish I don't see that as much.  I think you will see it this summer that Phish shows become more "the thing to do".  You are going to see all those kids that go to disco biscuits and Lotus shows and i'm not putting that down but people really into the Dead rarely care about those bands.  Personally I'd take the Dead over Phish any day of the week, and not just for crowd/scene...I just think the music is that much better, lyrics better..its more blues/rock n' roll based with the inprovising mixed in and thats what I love.   I got really bored at Phish shows I went to watching Trey play 6 million notes and I'm a trey fan...I love when he plays with Phil's bands.

ALady

You make a good point, Bold - the music really is quite different.  Phish is a lot more jazzy than the Dead ever were.  I guess that's another reason why I don't really understand why people always compare the two.  

Maybe just because of the traveling fanbase; if that's the case, no wonder MMJ is starting to draw Phish/Dead comparisons!

capt. scotty

QuoteYou make a good point, Bold - the music really is quite different.  Phish is a lot more jazzy than the Dead ever were.  I guess that's another reason why I don't really understand why people always compare the two.  

Maybe just because of the traveling fanbase; if that's the case, no wonder MMJ is starting to draw Phish/Dead comparisons!

Phish also brings the funk a lot more than the Dead these days

bold99

QuoteYou make a good point, Bold - the music really is quite different.  Phish is a lot more jazzy than the Dead ever were.  I guess that's another reason why I don't really understand why people always compare the two.  

I don't think anyone should really compare the two.  Phil's bands are amazing and always changing and thats why I love them.  I've seen Trey, Mike Gordon, Warren, Jackie Greene, Larry Campbell and a bunch others play with Phil and Phil really takes new appoaches to the songs.  I was never into Ratdog that much.  I actually liked some of Trey solo bands better than Phish.

mjkoehler

QuoteI also just found it funny most of the people who Ive seen express their dislike for Phish happened to be the ladies of the board (and MJ saw Twilight and enjoyed it, so maybe he counts too  ;))
This thread has it all, hippies, smoke and drink stuff, hatin on Phish, proof that women are smarter then men, and the above. I love the internets.

capt. scotty

I don't think anyone should really compare the two.  Phil's bands are amazing and always changing and thats why I love them.  I've seen Trey, Mike Gordon, Warren, Jackie Greene, Larry Campbell and a bunch others play with Phil and Phil really takes new appoaches to the songs.  I was never into Ratdog that much.  I actually liked some of Trey solo bands better than Phish.

Trey's 1st band that he had after what I think was his 1st solo album around 2001 or so was pretty good, but youd be the 1st person Ive heard say they liked Trey Band more than Phish

I saw 1 of Trey's more recent bands in 2005 I think it was, in Columbus. Absolutely terrible. After that show, I swore to never see a Trey show again unless it was with Phish

Penny Lane

QuoteI also just found it funny most of the people who Ive seen express their dislike for Phish happened to be the ladies of the board (and MJ saw Twilight and enjoyed it, so maybe he counts too  ;))
This thread has it all, hippies, smoke and drink stuff, hatin on Phish, proof that women are smarter then men, and the above. I love the internets.

ha ha...yeah there's something in it for everyone. well said, MJ
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

bold99

Trey's 1st band that he had after what I think was his 1st solo album around 2001 or so was pretty good, but youd be the 1st person Ive heard say they liked Trey Band more than Phish

I saw 1 of Trey's more recent bands in 2005 I think it was, in Columbus. Absolutely terrible. After that show, I swore to never see a Trey show again unless it was with Phish

Actually I know a lot of people who like Trey's solo bands better than Phish.   Its just a different thing.  I saw his first tour with TAB I think and I thought it was better than any Phish show i've seen but like I said i'm not a big Phish fan...but there are people out there like this..more than you think.

Ghosts_on_TV

Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

ALady

Speaking of the damned hippies, dead.net is breaking my heart this morning.   :'(

bold99

QuoteSpeaking of the damned hippies, dead.net is breaking my heart this morning.   :'(

yeah I don't know anyone who got in....site was all jammed up.