Musical highs and lows

Started by el_chode, Mar 29, 2009, 12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

capt. scotty

So, I take it you're a big rap/rock fan, 'eh Tracy?  Personally, I LOVE me some rap/rock ;D

I can't stand it. I was working in high schools when that broke and there was nothing but gangstas, lil Fred Dursts and goth kids.

I just want to hear why it wasn't a valid movement. A lot of the white pro atheletes totally took on that culture and it is still kicking today. Whereas "grunge" ate itself. Of course, I was wearing ripped jeans and flannel when I was 5...

Was anyone arguing it wasnt? I think you were the first person to bring it up.

I'd add Korn or KoRn or whatever it is to your list too. Id actually say they were the band that bridged that grunge to rap/rock gap. I thought their music was some of the worst of that period as well.

And I know I'll get ripped for it, but I still enjoy Kid Rock's debut Devil Without A Cause to this day, love me some early (hed) PE, and though I dont listen to it anymore, Limp Bizkit's debut was actually pretty good. Their music after that was laughable.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4k1V45b-Ww[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2KiEFW5PyU[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dvmSWyKkzM[/media]
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Or is rap/rock not "good" music?

No it's not..except for System of the Down and when the beastie boys did it 20 years ago.  :-)

id add rage against the machine to that short list
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ycartrob

So, I take it you're a big rap/rock fan, 'eh Tracy?  Personally, I LOVE me some rap/rock ;D

I can't stand it. I was working in high schools when that broke and there was nothing but gangstas, lil Fred Dursts and goth kids.

I just want to hear why it wasn't a valid movement. A lot of the white pro atheletes totally took on that culture and it is still kicking today. Whereas "grunge" ate itself. Of course, I was wearing ripped jeans and flannel when I was 5...

the whole gist of this thread is that the last "good" rock culture/scene was grunge. My guess is you won't have to look to far to find people who dismiss rap-rock as credible music.

mjkoehler

Quotenow, where was I... Oh yeah, shitty music from the 80's

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpcDj5tLnqA&feature=related[/media]
Exactly my good friend. Exactly.

capt. scotty

the whole gist of this thread is that the last "good" rock culture/scene was grunge. My guess is you won't have to look to far to find people who dismiss rap-rock as credible music.

well, since only about half the gist of this thread is actually on that, it skipped my mind for a minute.

but yeah, not only was it not as cohesive and geologically centered as the scene 5 years earlier, it wasnt as good.

disregarding the good or bad part though, either rap/rock or the whole boy band/pop princess explosion were probably the last big movement type deals

el_chode

I believe I covered the whole rap-rock area with the eyebrow ring music classification. I think that genre is just what happened when the labels took the style and tried to "innovate it"

I think it's interesting to point out how the grunge explosion birthed the modern "alt-rock" radio stations, especially since the flagship one in NYC just went under.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Vadie Stark

Regardless of whether you or I think a particular style of music is the cat's ass or cat shit there is probably some kind of scene behind it. If it draws some attention and there is money to be made the sky is the limit. I just picked up a cape and a little towel for to wear on my head at Macy's :)
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

ycartrob

First Power Trio

Early Emo

pawpaw

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

pawpaw

Yeah, this guy thinks that shit's genius.

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

capt. scotty

;D

Edit: the numchucks and knives on the wall make it  ;D ;D

mjkoehler

That right there kids is Balla 101. Holla

Jon T.

That right there kids is Balla 101. Holla

Fuck yeah!  And look at that stache!  Tom, eat your heart out.  ;D

Jaimoe

QuoteI, ah....I see your point ;)

Jmo,How did I prove your Rush point? edit: militant sure. Downhill since 1982 shit man that is dumb.
As far as AF vs MMJ that's a bold statement,  ;D I guess everyone likes different things. A band would probably have to kill the promoter,play all night and give the gate money back to rock me harder than the jacket
did in 2008 but that's just my opinion :) carry on [smiley=beer.gif]

I don't like Arcade Fire anywhere near as much as I like MMJ (one of my favourite bands this decade), but the AF show at Massey Hall - in Toronto - was better than the four MMJ shows I've seen over the years, which surprised the hell out of me.

Vadie Stark

QuoteI, ah....I see your point ;)

Jmo,How did I prove your Rush point? edit: militant sure. Downhill since 1982 shit man that is dumb.
As far as AF vs MMJ that's a bold statement,  ;D I guess everyone likes different things. A band would probably have to kill the promoter,play all night and give the gate money back to rock me harder than the jacket
did in 2008 but that's just my opinion :) carry on [smiley=beer.gif]

I don't like Arcade Fire anywhere near as much as I like MMJ (one of my favourite bands this decade), but the AF show at Massey Hall - in Toronto - was better than the four MMJ shows I've seen over the years, which surprised the hell out of me.

Hey, Thanks for that. :)I guess I need to get out more then. Sounds like the show to have been to. Wish I could have seen the jacket in the early times though (bars & small clubs) :-[
Toronto's a rockin' place 8-)
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

mjkoehler

A very good friend of mine and her hubby saw AF once and pretty much said the same thing. It's not that their music is better, its the pure raw gut wrenching emotion that came off the stage. That's saying a lot because MMJ put their heart and soul into each show (at least the ones I've been too) and I feel that and the shows I've been to have been epic. I cannot imagine a show where it's more then that. Sadly AF skipped St Louis their last round of tours so I cannot attest.

Jaimoe

And Toronto crowds are notoriously polite, but Arcade Fire's Win Butler got the entire sold out Massey Hall audience to come down to the front of the stage and dance and groove for the entire show. This is no easy task when there's 2 balconies and assigned seating.

However, I think MMJ will be playing at the historic Massey Hall sooner rather than later and I'll be somewhere near the front and not sitting.

el_chode

I'm not trying to slight AF, because I just went through last.fm and youtube and tried (again) to see what the fuss was about. I could sort of dig Black Mirror, but it also really bored me. The video in the elevator was one of the most pretentiously dumb things I've ever seen. I'm not going to say they're horrible, because it wasn't offensive to my ears. I just didn't get the hype.

I've also seen them live, but it was half assed because I was working at the show. I was annoyed that they cried on stage.
I'm surrounded by assholes

TheBigChicken

The funniest thing about this asshole is he only has about 160 bucks....real baller ;D
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry