Main Menu

One......

Started by Paulie_Walnuts, May 28, 2009, 05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulie_Walnuts

I've been struggling to find good new music for a while now. Aside from MMJ, Bonnie Prince Billy, and Dan Auerbach there's not much that is getting me excited.

Fortunately, it's made me revisit my own CD collection and get out some music I haven't played in a while.

So I was thinking that with all the people on here who must have great record collections, there must be some hidden gems that everyone else needs to know about.

So if someone, like me, was asking you to recommend one old gem of a CD from your collection what would it be? Give me an explanation as well. I'm so desperate for something good I'll buy the five CD's that sound most interesting.

The criteria is as follows:
A CD that you couldn't do without
Nothing too obvious (please don't say Stones, Beatles, Led Zepp etc. etc.)
A hidden gem in your collection
One you'd dig out if you really wanted to impress someone with musical taste!

Anyway, my recommendation:

Marah - Kids In Philly. A record so good everything else they have done just doesn't quite live up to it. I'm sure if this had been their fourth or fifth album, rather than their second, they'd have had much more success. Great live, but with one of the Bielanko brothers on a sabbatical is it all downhill from now?

Send me some inspiration please........
Paulie W

Jaimoe

I think you need to get some Iron & Wine (provided you don't already own any) - the new album is out in stores - or get that new The Soundtrack of Our Lives double album. Fucking rock and muthafucking roll!

bold99

for new bands i'd check out the Heartless Bastards and Back Door Slam.  The HB's were discovered by Patrick, the drummer from the Black keys.  They play some hard hitting rock.  BDS are a great new blues/rock band.  They just put out a live from Bonnaroo album I got recently that kicks ass.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

TheBigChicken

Chris Bell - I Am The Cosmos
Allen Toussaint - Southern Night
Tower Of Power - East Bay Grease
Townes Van Zandt - Live at The Old Quarter
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

bearass

built to spill-live

Taxman

I'm not trying to be mysterious about it, it's just that what I do is tough to explain.
-Macgyver

Penny Lane

QuoteChris Bell - I Am The Cosmos

that chris bell is so good, i owe you for that..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Penny Lane

Paul Weller-Stanley Road (heartfelt lyrics, timeless)

Gram Parsons-Grievous Angel (just learning about the roots of alt country)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

TheBigChicken

QuoteChris Bell - I Am The Cosmos

that chris bell is so good, i owe you for that..
8-) 8-) 8-)
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Ruckus

Jayhawks - Tomorrow the Green Grass
If you don't have any, either of the last two Dr. Dogs
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Vadie Stark

ONE

Doug sold alt country as British Invasion Music in 1965 with a haircut and a name: Sir Douglas  ;) 8-)

Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

lasvegas

langhorne slim - 'when the sun's gone down'

an amazing album from start to end. i guarantee you will enjoy it paulie...WALNUTS. it's also amazing you have kept your name as that. well done.
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

saki

Bela Fleck & The Flecktones - Live Art
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Lemonjelly - KY

buster douglas

Hmm, seems some people are having trouble sticking to the "ONE" criteria.  Here's my pick:

Our Lady Peace - Naveed

GREAT, moody, shreddy, inspired post-grunge Canadian rocker from 1994.  It is their first and best album.  When it came out I was only 10 years old and sort of just starting to form my own taste in music.  It really rocks from start to finish and I still enjoy it today.  Unfortunately, I never really enjoyed anything they made after this; their following albums just felt sort of inorganic and built for radio, which kept them popular with pre-teens everywhere (err, in Canada) but not with anybody else.  Seriously, don't even bother with any other OLP, but get this album and blast it, especially if you like MMJ's heavier and somewhat darker stuff (think Master Plan, O is the One That is Real, Remnants).

buaawwww

Howlin Rain - Magnificent Fiend

bold99

QuoteHowlin Rain - Magnificent Fiend

I agree with this!  great band.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

capt. scotty

A couple of these arent very recent, but...

John Butler Trio - Sunrise Over Sea (2005)
The Parlor Mob - And You Were A Crow (2008)
Delta Spirit - Ode To Sunshine (2008)
The Zutons - Who Killed......The Zutons (2004)
Jamiroquai - Emergency On Planet Earth (1993)
Binary Star - Masters of the Universe (if you like any hip hop) (2000)

Those bands pretty much run the gamut of sounds, so I think you would find at least 1 that you like

...whenever I do these things I realize I really dont listen to many bands that are at least somewhat well known
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

red

My favourite Canadian album of the decade (after some soul-searching, I've recently changed my mind and decided I like this more than Shine a Light).  

Jbones72

Delaney & Bonnie and Friends- Accept No Substitute-Great album from Clapton's favorite.

The Flying Burrito Brothers- The Gilded Palace Of Sin- Gram Parsons!

The Kinks- Muswell Hillbillies- most underrated album they put out.

Avett Brothers- Emotionalism-just got into these guys last year.

The Byrds- Untitled- Clarence White, VERY underrated guitarist.

Sam Cooke- Portrait Of A Legend-no comment needed!

LEATHER KID

Wax Fang and the Whigs
IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!