Main Menu

Iron & Wine

Started by woodnymph, Jan 07, 2011, 01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodnymph

Quote from: Penny Lane on Jan 30, 2011, 12:24 PM

i've watched that youtube clip of the trapeze singer a bunch this morning..so pretty

May well be my favorite I&W tune............ wish I coulda bean there.......
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

headhunter

I didn't get to go (family obligations) but have listened to the new album a few times already.
Enjoying it alot but too early to say where I rank it.

It would be hard for it to come close to "Our Endless Numbered Days"  as that is a desert island disc and "Around The Well" is pretty freakin' special as well.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

woodnymph

:(  Aw I'm sorry neither of you could make it!

Here's a nice little show that was on Jan. 21st:
http://www.kgsr.com/musiclounge/index.aspx?artistNum=0&songNum=0

It keeps cutting me off shortly after "Tree By the River," but it's an amazing version with Sam by himself. And I like how he talks about "dressing a song up in different clothes" and the effects that has on the end results...

woodnymph

woodnymph

Absurd version of Rabbit Will Run..... sheeeewwttt

woodnymph

TheBigChicken

They sold out the 40 Watt in Athens :-\ :embarassed:  you get a tix Woody?  I think I might fucking cry
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

woodnymph

Quote from: TheBigChicken on Mar 15, 2011, 05:18 PM
They sold out the 40 Watt in Athens :-\ :embarassed:  you get a tix Woody?  I think I might fucking cry
Faaaaaaaiiilllll..... I've failed to get tickets in advance!!  Considering rolling through on a magick lucky flying carpet though! Might be worth a try..........  :o :D

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: woodnymph on Mar 15, 2011, 07:43 PM
Faaaaaaaiiilllll..... I've failed to get tickets in advance!!  Considering rolling through on a magick lucky flying carpet though! Might be worth a try..........  :o :D

If you find one I bet they'd let you in. :thumbsup:
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Penny Lane

BigChicken and Woody--do you still need tix for this? I made friends with the bouncer at the 40 Watt when i was down there for the DBT shows. Let me know because I sent him a text message and he asked me how many tix I needed. PM me your phone nos in case I can just leave your name at the door. No guarantees but I might...

Chicken--i owe you for your many gifts over the years..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Ruckus

Quote from: Penny Lane on Mar 17, 2011, 12:52 AM

BigChicken and Woody--do you still need tix for this? I made friends with the bouncer at the 40 Watt when i was down there for the DBT shows. Let me know because I sent him a text message and he asked me how many tix I needed. PM me your phone nos in case I can just leave your name at the door. No guarantees but I might...

Ahh the perks of being on Penny's good side.  I hope you get to go Chicken! :beer:
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

woodnymph

Quote from: Penny Lane on Mar 17, 2011, 12:52 AM

:o :o Aye carumba!  Thanks for lookin' out!!  See if the Chickster would like any, and if there are any available thereafter I couldn't thank you enough!  I'll PM you my # in the case that it would work out!! And did I mention I can't thank you enough for the offer!!!?  :-* :-* :-*

sweatboard

Just listened to Kiss Each Other Clean for the first time today and it's a masterpiece.  What a great songwritter Sam is.  Beautiful stuff.
There's Still Time.........

woodnymph

Iron & Wine - Peng! 33

Incredible things.....
Are happening...
In this world

Magickal things...
Are happening
In this world.....

woodnymph

This is extremely random as I pretty much thought that I have every possible studio released (or "un-released") track that Sam has recorded...  I've delved deeper into his stashes of songs than I have for most bands, and yet this bypassed me completely!

Well, maybe not completely-- I have a live version of Sam & Calexico playing this at the Triple Door in '05... but I was searching youtube to find that live version to post on here, when I came across a studio version of it from a Japanese album release of In The Reins!!!

It's him & Calexico covering Velvet Underground's "All Tomorrow's Parties," enjoy!:

iron and wine & calexico - all tomorrow's parties

(Their live version is pretty rad too  8))

woodnymph

YouAre_GivenToFly

Been listening to a few bootlegs of his recently. He's a genuinely funny guy, and seems really appreciate of audience applause, almost shy.

SOOOOOOOO excited to see him in Seattle.  :o
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

woodnymph

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Aug 05, 2011, 09:04 AM
Been listening to a few bootlegs of his recently. He's a genuinely funny guy, and seems really appreciate of audience applause, almost shy.

Sam's stage presence is not one to miss!!!  One of my favorite musicians to watch live, he definitely says some of the funniest things..... but always maintains his level of modesty.  I hope we've figured out whether or not he and Jim are playing together at the after-show ACL event.  They REALLY OUGHT TO.  But you'll have a blast in Seattle I'm sure!!  What venue is it again? (I know I could look online but being lazy)  I have 2 shows of him performing in Seattle, and there are some real deal rare songs he's busted out there, including that cover of All Tomorrow's Parties, with Calexico.  It's gonna be outrageous, get ready!!!!   :o :o

The shows I have are at the Triple Door and the Vera Project..... can't wait to hear your reviews!

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: woodnymph on Aug 05, 2011, 10:03 PM
Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Aug 05, 2011, 09:04 AM

Sam's stage presence is not one to miss!!!  One of my favorite musicians to watch live, he definitely says some of the funniest things..... but always maintains his level of modesty.  I hope we've figured out whether or not he and Jim are playing together at the after-show ACL event.  They REALLY OUGHT TO.  But you'll have a blast in Seattle I'm sure!!  What venue is it again? (I know I could look online but being lazy)  I have 2 shows of him performing in Seattle, and there are some real deal rare songs he's busted out there, including that cover of All Tomorrow's Parties, with Calexico.  It's gonna be outrageous, get ready!!!!   :o :o

The shows I have are at the Triple Door and the Vera Project..... can't wait to hear your reviews!

I'll be seeing him at The Paramount in Seattle.  I saw him back in 2007 at the Tower Theater just outside Philly. great set that night...

Lovesong of the Buzzard
Peace Beneath the City
Innocent Bones
On Your Wings
Pagan Angel
White Tooth Man
House by the Sea
Devil never Sleeps
Boy with a Coin
Sodom South georgia
Carousel
Upward over the mountain
Jezebel
Shepherd's dog
Sea & the rhythm
Resurrection Fern
Flightless Bird
History of Lovers
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

woodnymph

Nice setlist there, sir!!  You'll be seeing him with band soon, can't wait to hear what they play!!!!

Just bought Creek Drank the Cradle on vinyl todayyyyyyy and have it on now........ sooooo smooootthhhhhh.... Bird Stealing Bread......... wheeeewwwww.....  8)