Main Menu

Iron & Wine

Started by woodnymph, Jan 07, 2011, 01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodnymph

Quote from: Penny Lane on Nov 21, 2011, 11:38 PM
anyone see this Live from the Artist Den--accapella Flightless Bird, American Mouth

http://www.hulu.com/watch/302681/live-from-the-artists-den-flightless-bird-american-mouth-by-iron-and-wine#s-p1-sr-i0

Ahaaa... so I've finally been enlightened to the fact that this was taped from the night previous to their public performance in Atlanta.... (I'm a slowpoke with the tvs sometimes)  I'm not familiar with the Artists' Den thing... but it looks like they tore through 24 songs on 11-10-11 for an audience of 500, and THAT's going to be aired on pbs "this winter!!!"  Woohoo!!  Ya'll will have to let me know when that goes on, please!

And in the meantime, I really recommend tuning in to the 11 video sesh on youtube-- it's the whole 11-11 show!!!  :D :D :D  Thanks again Penny, you've sent me reeling tonight!!  :-*
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Penny Lane

That Artist Den clip got me in an I&W mood last night and I went through this entire thread, watched the Green Space performance from a year ago! I looked for the Jerry shout out at the right mark, too! That was awesome, finally got what you and Chicken were talking about. I need to go back and make sure I have all their albums. I only have the last 3. I'm now on an I&W kick.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

woodnymph

Quote from: Penny Lane on Nov 22, 2011, 10:16 AM
That Artist Den clip got me in an I&W mood last night and I went through this entire thread, watched the Green Space performance from a year ago! I looked for the Jerry shout out at the right mark, too! That was awesome, finally got what you and Chicken were talking about. I need to go back and make sure I have all their albums. I only have the last 3. I'm now on an I&W kick.

Yayyyy!!  Welcome aboard!  That Green Space performance pssshheeeewwwweeewwwwww great stuff!!  Hahahahah glad you caught the Jer remark too, that one goes down in history!

That Sam Beam is a bit too much...........

headhunter

Well I must say, I was a good black friday shopper as I got out to Newbury Comics while visiting family for thanksgiving in Boston.  In addition to several great vinyl pickups by wilco, justin townes earle, pete townsend, the dead and others I found this amazing new gem.

Don't know if you guys know about this one but if you don't have it, ya gotta hear it.  A daytrotter sessions album with acoustic Iron & Wine (sam and rosie thomas) on side a and the low anthem on side b.  Great intimate acoustic sam that sounds like he is coming out of your living room.  Beautiful and stunning.
4 great tunes, 1 acoustic guitar - Godless Brother, Tree By The River, Glad Man Singing & As We Came.  Holy crap is this good. 

Woody, have you heard this yet?  The album came with a free mp3 download so I can burn you a copy if you want it and can't find it.  This is an incredible 4 song album by mr. beam.

The Low Anthem side is also excellent.  5 great tunes that are simply beautiful.  Definitely a new thing to be thankful for.

was some shakin' and some record playin'

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: headhunter on Nov 26, 2011, 08:42 PM
Well I must say, I was a good black friday shopper as I got out to Newbury Comics while visiting family for thanksgiving in Boston.  In addition to several great vinyl pickups by wilco, justin townes earle, pete townsend, the dead and others I found this amazing new gem.

Don't know if you guys know about this one but if you don't have it, ya gotta hear it.  A daytrotter sessions album with acoustic Iron & Wine (sam and rosie thomas) on side a and the low anthem on side b.  Great intimate acoustic sam that sounds like he is coming out of your living room.  Beautiful and stunning.
4 great tunes, 1 acoustic guitar - Godless Brother, Tree By The River, Glad Man Singing & As We Came.  Holy crap is this good. 

Woody, have you heard this yet?  The album came with a free mp3 download so I can burn you a copy if you want it and can't find it.  This is an incredible 4 song album by mr. beam.

The Low Anthem side is also excellent.  5 great tunes that are simply beautiful.  Definitely a new thing to be thankful for.

I had NO IDEA they released that on vinyl. I need to own that.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

woodnymph

Aahhhhh it's one of my favoritest performances!!  I was able to grab the free Quicktime video that they released for d/l when the session was first posted.... but I don't think I have it on mp3??

Jeff, if you'd like the video (if you don't have it or can't see it or whatnot.... I don't know how the daytrotter thing really works, can you watch them for all eternity after they're posted?)  Well anyway!  If you'd like the video, and if I can burn it onto a dvd for you, I'd gladly trade you for the mp3 version!  Let me know if you'd like a video copy!  And thanks very much for the offer!!!  I thought I posted about it on here somewhere, but maybe not!!  (And god, sorry if I didn't!!!)  So glad you found it, it's such a gem!!!!   :-*

headhunter

Jenn, I will gladly burn you both i&w and low anthem and if you pm me you address I will drop in this Monday's mail. If its not to much trouble, I would love to see the dvd unless I can still see them on line and don't have to put you through the trouble.  Geez, the quality of this recording is really special.  Only wish it was more than 4 songs.

woodnymph

Oh man, you said it!  4 songs is cruel, in a way  :P

I will gladly attempt a dvd burn of it for ya!  And in the meantime, this ought to be up on here!

Iron & Wine - Daytrotter Session

**will be PMing you shortly!  Thanks a million!!

YouAre_GivenToFly

Here's the 4 i&w songs from daytrotter. I downloaded them back when the session first came out and have only now gotten around to listening.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RRAKDSEV

headhunter

You guys are awesome, thanks.

Good thing this music stuff ain't that addicting!   :D

woodnymph

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Nov 26, 2011, 09:45 PM
Here's the 4 i&w songs from daytrotter. I downloaded them back when the session first came out and have only now gotten around to listening.

Oh superb, thanks much!  Jeff, no worries on sending!!  Thanks so much for the offer though, and if I can get the video onto dvd I'll let you know and would still gladly send it for ya!

Thanks again you guys!

Ruckus

Quote from: headhunter on Nov 26, 2011, 09:50 PM

:-*
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

e_wind

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Nov 26, 2011, 09:45 PM

You're the shit
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

woodnymph

;) :D :D :D

So... I haven't been really on the I&W message board all that much...... gets kinda boring in there sometimes, no posts for days, and not always a lot of activity..... but, for whatever reason, it's gone!!  The account has been "suspended," and it's been that way for months now.

And it just kind of gnaws at me sometimes, because there were always real early updates about stuff Sam's doing, etc... and reviews and sometimes recordings of his shows.... and it's just buggin' me out a little, when I think of it... I hope they pull it back together again!  I heard that it went out once before, too..... so hopefully just a temporary thing  :embarassed:

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: woodnymph on Nov 27, 2011, 01:24 AM

So... I haven't been really on the I&W message board all that much...... gets kinda boring in there sometimes, no posts for days, and not always a lot of activity..... but, for whatever reason, it's gone!!  The account has been "suspended," and it's been that way for months now.

And it just kind of gnaws at me sometimes, because there were always real early updates about stuff Sam's doing, etc... and reviews and sometimes recordings of his shows.... and it's just buggin' me out a little, when I think of it... I hope they pull it back together again!  I heard that it went out once before, too..... so hopefully just a temporary thing  :embarassed:

That's a bummer. I used to check that fairly regularly back when I first started college... even won a signed screenprint from there.

woodnymph

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Nov 27, 2011, 10:24 PM
Quote from: woodnymph on Nov 27, 2011, 01:24 AM

That's a bummer. I used to check that fairly regularly back when I first started college... even won a signed screenprint from there.

Oh that's sweet!  I'd love to see a pic if ya have one!  Yeah I keep hoping it'll just pop back up one day, all redone and with new bells and whistles..... there were a lot of passionate fans in there, so I can't see it being down forever (*crosses fingers*)

Penny Lane

HH--great purchases!
Jrud--thanks for the songs! Love this thread, I'm falling in love with I&W all over again (sigh).
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: Penny Lane on Nov 28, 2011, 12:57 PM
HH--great purchases!
Jrud--thanks for the songs! Love this thread, I'm falling in love with I&W all over again (sigh).

;D You're confusing me with my bearded buddy!

woodnymph

A beautiful version of Flightless Bird.... "wedding" version they're deeming it

Flightless Bird, American Mouth (Wedding Version)

(He still says "pissing on magazines"  :P)

YouAre_GivenToFly

On Leno tonight!