Main Menu

Middle Brother!

Started by wolof7, Jan 09, 2011, 07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

When the combined forces of Deertick's Winston/whiskey-soaked voiced John MaCauley, meets with the sunshine harmonies of Taylor Goldsmith of Dawes and the suave introspective goodlooks/ lyric stylings of Matt Vasquez of Delta Spirit they create: Middle Brother....

...s/t out on Partisan Records on 3/1/2011

...here's the first taste: http://theaudioperv.com/2011/01/05/middle-brother-offer-me-me-me-for-download/

Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

bearass

Ruckus

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 09, 2011, 08:52 PM
Quote from: bearass on Jan 09, 2011, 08:30 PM
it aint no mof
Correct.  It's already better.

burn!

Very interested to hear this album. I wont say theyre better than MOF yyyet
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

Clips from all the songs available for preview at the Partisan records website.  Even better, tour is announced tomorrow!  Seeing as Dawes is playing Mountain Jam, it would be cool if at least Maccauley and co stuck around the area for a jam.

wolof7

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 11, 2011, 02:24 PM
Clips from all the songs available for preview at the Partisan records website.  Even better, tour is announced tomorrow!  Seeing as Dawes is playing Mountain Jam, it would be cool if at least Maccauley and co stuck around the area for a jam.

Nice find Ruckus....Damn those teases are scratchin me right where I itch!

Ruckus

Quote from: wolof7 on Jan 11, 2011, 03:08 PM

You know it's tough to have teally high expectations for these type of collaborations but overall I think I enjoyed all the clips I heard.  I was already familiar with Daydreamin' and Me, Me, Me and the rest worked.

Opening the tour in DC.  I'll be there.  I'm not sure what this rotating opening set between Deer Tick, Corndawg and Dawes means.  Will they all play a bit or is one of the acts going to get the opening slot on a rotating basis?  It seems to be the latter and if so, I sure as hell hope to get a Tick set.

wolof7

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 12, 2011, 10:33 AM
Quote from: wolof7 on Jan 11, 2011, 03:08 PM

You know it's tough to have teally high expectations for these type of collaborations but overall I think I enjoyed all the clips I heard.  I was already familiar with Daydreamin' and Me, Me, Me and the rest worked.

Opening the tour in DC.  I'll be there.  I'm not sure what this rotating opening set between Deer Tick, Corndawg and Dawes means.  Will they all play a bit or is one of the acts going to get the opening slot on a rotating basis?  It seems to be the latter and if so, I sure as hell hope to get a Tick set.

thanks for heralding more good news today Ruckus!

It seems that Dawes and Deertick may be alternating the 2nd opening slot between nights w/ jonny corndawg as a constant opener.

To tell you the truth, being from the Providence area I am kinda spoiled with all the deertick shows that crop up pretty regularly. I wouldn't mind catching Dawes! Deertick would still be pretty sweet tho.

Ruckus

I herald from time to time but to have my heralding recognized is flattering and for that I thank you kind Wolof.

I hear ya on the Tick front.  Heck I think I've seen them 3 times in the last year but I can still use some more.  Plus I did see Dawes play a 45 minute set opening for them last time too.  Will be content either way.

wolof7

This is how the show is detailed on the lupos website....Middle Brother AND Deer Tick
AND Dawes (but not Delta Spirit even though Matt will be there as a member of Middle Brother) will each play a set.

To me that sounds like a set from each Dawes and Deertick!

However there was no mention of Johnny Corndawg? :-\

mahg33ta

that is a LOADED concert for $20 at a small venue.   Huge bang for the buck.   I read it as dawes and deer tick both playing too.   

I'll be there in Boston or Providence for sure....

Ruckus

I recall Mahg33ta mentioning this in another thread but it is rather frustrating that the album is being released a day or two before I see them starting the tour.  I'd understand this if it was some record release show and they'd be touring well after the release.  Unfortunately, this seems like it is a brief one off  tour and for that reason alone, I wish they'd given us more of an opportunity to familiarize ourselves with the album prior to seeing them for likely the only time.

wolof7

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 18, 2011, 09:54 AM
I recall Mahg33ta mentioning this in another thread but it is rather frustrating that the album is being released a day or two before I see them starting the tour.  I'd understand this if it was some record release show and they'd be touring well after the release.  Unfortunately, this seems like it is a brief one off  tour and for that reason alone, I wish they'd given us more of an opportunity to familiarize ourselves with the album prior to seeing them for likely the only time.

Agreed!

It may be partly why they decided to pack the tour with 2 sets from their original bands. I plan on obtaining the vinyl at the show (3 days after the release) due to a busy schedule I doubt I'll be able to obtain it or listen to it much beforehand. Therefore I will also be quite unfamiliar with the material it unless NPR or Spinner previews it a week early

Here's the eponyous track:
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2011/02/new_middle_brot.html

mahg33ta

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 18, 2011, 09:54 AM

agreed! (guess I'm agreeing w myself lol).   I've taken to watching Youtube and other snippets to learn the songs but damn, trying to familiarize yourself with material pre-show shouldn't be so hard.

Ruckus

I'm jealous of the people that preordered the vinyl and received it already.  I was kinda hoping they'd offer a vinyl and digital download package as well.  Oh well, petty stuff.  I'm just restless for the gig and ecstatic that I'm getting a full hour Deer Tick set out of this ticket as well.

For those interested, they added west coast dates a while back.

03.02.11    9:30 Club    Washington, DC, US                Deer Tick, Dawes    
03.03.11    Paradise Rock Club    Boston, MA, US                Deer Tick, Dawes    
03.04.11    Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel    Providence, RI, US        Deer Tick, Dawes    
03.05.11    Music Hall of Williamsburg    Brooklyn, NY, US  Deer Tick, Dawes    
03.06.11    Bowery Ballroom    New York, NY, US                Deer Tick, Dawes    
03.09.11    Theatre of the Living Arts Philadelphia, PA, US    Deer Tick, Dawes    
03.10.11    Water Street Music Hall    Rochester, NY, US        Deer Tick, Dawes    
03.11.11    Opera House    Toronto, ON, CA                        Deer Tick, Dawes    
03.12.11    The Metro    Chicago, IL, US                        Deer Tick, Dawes
03.13.11    Majestic Theatre    Madison, WI, US                Deer Tick, Dawes    
03.14.11    First Avenue    Minneapolis, MN, US                Deer Tick, Dawes
03.15.11    Granada    Lawrence, KS, US                                Dawes, Deer Tick    
03.17.11    Club Dada    Dallas, TX, US                                Deer Tick, Dawes    
03.19.11    Auditorium Shores - SXSW    Austin, TX, US    Ground Control Touring Showcase w/ Bright Eyes, the Felice Brothers, Man Man    
04.03.11    The Independent    San Francisco, CA, US        Blake Mills    
04.04.11    Moe's Alley    Santa Cruz, CA, US                        Blake Mills    
04.05.11    SoHo    Santa Barbara, CA, US                        Jonny Corndawg    
04.06.11    Detroit Bar    Costa Mesa, CA, US                Jonny Corndawg    
04.07.11    The Echo    Los Angeles, CA, US                        Jonny Corndawg    
04.08.11    The Loft    La Jolla, CA, US    Jonny Corndawg    

wolof7

I keep forgetting that this show is coming up due to being preoccupied with my life :o. This will certainly be a stress relief. I am still blown away by the lineup

YouAre_GivenToFly

This album is fantastic. Looking forward to the Philly show.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

wolof7

For those of us without iphone, therefore no free album streaming app this was just put up at Spinner....Enjoy and happy shows this week!

http://www.spinner.com/new-releases#/3

Ruckus

Quote from: wolof7 on Feb 28, 2011, 01:50 PM
For those of us without iphone, therefore no free album streaming app this was just put up at Spinner....Enjoy and happy shows this week!

http://www.spinner.com/new-releases#/3

Thanks Wolof! :beer:  Listening right now

Ruckus

Superficial 1st Take:

Daydreaming – Sounds like a textbook McCauley ditty right from his Deer Tick repertoire just slowed down a bit and played on acoustic.  Love it!  I never get bored of this style.  If he bangs out another 100 songs that sound just like this, I'll listen to 'em all.

Blue Eyes – Another solid track right off the bat.  Vasquez doesn't unload his voice at all.  I have a feeling that this song will translate very well live.  Then again so does any Vasquez song.

Thanks for Nothing – All three bang out stellar tracks to open.  What a sweet, understated country/folk ditty.

Middle Brother – A fun track for sure but maybe a little underwhelming as the eponymous track and a somewhat weak effort from McCauley.  Surely danceable live.

Theater – Love it!  Sounds like it came straight off of a Delta Spirit record.  Vasquez letting it fly vocally is always a trip.

Portland – Starting to get the feeling that this album is filled with solid but not spectacular songs.  I mean this is exactly my kind of track but not one has jumped out at me as a step above.  (EDIT:  I just recalled ILB saying this was a Replacements' cover that I was unfamiliar with.  Is this the only cover on the album?)

Wilderness – Yes sir Taylor.  Not sure about the lyrics but I dig the melody.  Very solid track.

Me, Me, Me – This was on rotation on local public radio so much it doesn't feel fresh any more.  This track again reaffirms my feeling that this is a steady album with neither extreme peaks nor valleys.

Someday – Is it just me or does some of this song remind anyone of some Roy Orbison?  Just me?  I really like this one.

Blood and Guts – Goldsmith again drops some bombs here.  It's a vocal monster.  Maybe the track that has lyrically stuck out the most for me because it's no frills and nothing's vague

Mom and Dad – This is the 1st track that sounds like something that belonged on Black Dirt Sessions.

Million Dollar Bill - meh