Main Menu

Middle Brother!

Started by wolof7, Jan 09, 2011, 07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EasyRyder

Quote from: wolof7 on Feb 28, 2011, 01:50 PM
For those of us without iphone, therefore no free album streaming app this was just put up at Spinner....Enjoy and happy shows this week!

http://www.spinner.com/new-releases#/3

I am loving this album so far...there's not one song that I don't like me thinks! Cheers to records that aren't overproduced and only rely on the raw power of human musicality and damn good lyrics  :beer:

nowadays the world needs more songs that actually tell stories.
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

wolof7

My 3 favorite tracks upon first 2 listens are: Thanks for Nothing, Blue Eyes and Theatre

Vasquez kinda sounds like JLennon on Theatre. And definitely a lil Orbison on Someday. He really kills it.

Blood and Guts is a great track

Overall it's better than I expected it to be. Surpisingly mature album. I feel that it is evenly proportioned. Sometimes I do feel the individually sung or written tracks play to the individual writer's sensibilities therefore making me want more of a unique band sound. However I got no druthers, it's really a pleasant listen and I am psyched to see them Friday. :)

Ruckus,
Here are the songwriting credits according to AllMusic:
  1  Daydreaming - McCauley 
  2  Blue Eyes - Vasquez
  3  Thanks for Nothing - Goldsmith
  4  Middle Brother - Corndawg, Goldsmith, McCauley
  5  Theater - Vasquez
  6  Portland - Westerberg
  7  Wilderness - Goldsmith
  8  Me Me Me - McCauley
  9  Someday - Vasquez
  10  Blood and Guts - Goldsmith
  11  Mom and Dad - McCauley
  12  Million Dollar Bill - Goldsmith
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

YouAre_GivenToFly

I got the limited edition vinyl, comes with a bonus 10" with 4 more songs. John's got a really great one called "Walkin' the Beat" on the bonus album. Trying to figure out how to connect my turntable to my computer haha
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

BH

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Mar 01, 2011, 10:21 PM
I got the limited edition vinyl, comes with a bonus 10" with 4 more songs. John's got a really great one called "Walkin' the Beat" on the bonus album. Trying to figure out how to connect my turntable to my computer haha

Dang!  Just bought the vinyl yesterday.  I didn't realize there was a limited edition.

I'm half way thru so far and really really like it.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

mahg33ta

I'm one listen in and like it, not blown away.   Way too early to make a judgment.   

Ruckus

My overall take from the 930 Club show last night was that I enjoyed it but was somewhat disappointed as well.

The show started off with Johnny Corndawg with Dawes as his backing band.  They had the wonderful joke of continually calling themselves Johnny CornDawes.  Get it?  They sounded good and after Johnny left, Dawes played another three songs with McCauley joining in on harmonica for the last track.  They sounded real good.

The Deer Tick set was just OK.  They again played the rearranged version of Ashamed which I have heard three times in a row now.  I guess that is the permanent way now and that's too bad.  Surprisingly, Christ Jesus was a highlight for me.  What pissed me off though it shouldn't be a big deal was this typical DC doucher that was in front of me straight from work and drunk with self importance screaming for These Old Shoes in his office attire.  Not that there's anything wrong with that but he was just annoying.  Sure as hell, they acquiesced and played him the song.  Boy was he happy.  Of course the boys were drinking hard.  McCauley called down Vasquez from the balcony to join them and to bring down the bottle of Jack which they proceeded to pass around for the rest of the show onstage.

The Middle Brother set was good but felt unbalanced.  Even when you listen to the album, only the eponymous track and Me, Me, Me are what you could call rockers.  Therefore the set had lulls where Vasquez and Goldsmith go back to back to back to back with slower numbers and then all of a sudden closing with a rocker with everyone onstage.

All in all a good show though.  Everyone sounded really good.  I think when you have so many moving parts and different acts it'll lend towards a lack of cohesion and therefore felt a little disjointed at times.  On the other hand, it did lend towards an more organic feel as well.

Hope you all enjoy the upcoming shows. :)

Here's an interview preshow from the 930 club.  Lots of love for J Roddy in there.

9:30 Interview with Middle Brother
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

mahg33ta

Ruckus,  well, for better or worse, you talked me out of going to Middle Brother last night.   Not that you did so intentionally, but...

I got about 4 - 5 full listens of the album in over the past 2 days.   As I posted in my initial reactions, like it but not blown away.   It's a little mellow for my tastes, and while I love Delta Spirit, here I just "appreciate" the similarity but it doesn't have the same rockin'.   

Then my Thursday got really busy, and I had to make a gametime decision to bail or make it happen.   I read your review of the concert, and it pretty much summarized what I was worried about.   So ... thank you? I think?   Maybe I will regret this 6 months from now....

Jon T.

Quote from: mahg33ta on Mar 04, 2011, 02:02 PM
Ruckus,  well, for better or worse, you talked me out of going to Middle Brother last night.   Not that you did so intentionally, but...

I got about 4 - 5 full listens of the album in over the past 2 days.   As I posted in my initial reactions, like it but not blown away.   It's a little mellow for my tastes, and while I love Delta Spirit, here I just "appreciate" the similarity but it doesn't have the same rockin'.   

Then my Thursday got really busy, and I had to make a gametime decision to bail or make it happen.   I read your review of the concert, and it pretty much summarized what I was worried about.   So ... thank you? I think?   Maybe I will regret this 6 months from now....

I have had the same reaction to the album.  I liked it a lot upon first listen.  But as I've listened to it more and more, it's just not grabbing the way I need music to grab me.  I like Delta Spirt a lot but I'm not familiar with any of the other guys.

wolof7

but I'm not familiar with any of the other guys.

You should get to know Deertick. Great alt country rock n roll. Check the thread a lil below. They are a great live band and may be worth the effort to catch even if you are not too fond of the MB stuff.

Jon T.

Quote from: wolof7 on Mar 04, 2011, 02:41 PM

You should get to know Deertick. Great alt country rock n roll. Check the thread a lil below. They are a great live band and may be worth the effort to catch even if you are not too fond of the MB stuff.

I'm starting to.  :beer:  I like his voice so I've been checking them out.  I'm digging it so far.   
I guess it kind of sounded like I don't like the MB album, but that's not true.  I think most of the songs on there are pretty good, I just feel like it's missing something and I'm just not "itching to hear it again", if that makes any sense.

Ruckus

Quote from: Jon T. on Mar 04, 2011, 02:55 PM
Quote from: wolof7 on Mar 04, 2011, 02:41 PM

I'm starting to.  :beer:  I like his voice so I've been checking them out.  I'm digging it so far.   
I guess it kind of sounded like I don't like the MB album, but that's not true.  I think most of the songs on there are pretty good, I just feel like it's missing something and I'm just not "itching to hear it again", if that makes any sense.
Yeah, the Tick are just about my favorite band going right along with a handful of others.  I don't know how much of their music you've checked out but I'd recommend going in order.  IMO their 1st two albums are brilliant.  Their most recent effort wasn't my favorite but it seemed like more of a transitional record that has grown on me a lot.

I think I feel the same way as Mahg33ta and you.  I like it but that's it.  Sorry you couldn't make the show Mahg33ta.  I think I can safely say that you didn't miss a life altering show.

wolof7

Penny Lane

nice, folky, mellow, not mind-blowing...liking the delta spirit guy's songs the most so far
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

chaqueta sucia

My fav album this year other than Go Go Boots by DBTs.  It is better than any album by any of the three singers in their regular bands imo.  Highlights for me are Mom and Dad and the brilliant Million Dollar Bill(love that song).  Really the only one I am not a fan of is the Portland cover.

br00ke

finally listened to these guys .. i'm digging it but the 1st track hits you with a whole lot of whine  :P i like the song but the first few notes / lyrics are like woah dude!

mahg33ta

ps color me clueless but I didn't realize Blood and Guts is an old Dawes song.   It's a highlight for me on the Middle Brother record.

Penny Lane

Quote from: mahg33ta on Aug 01, 2011, 12:48 PM
ps color me clueless but I didn't realize Blood and Guts is an old Dawes song.   It's a highlight for me on the Middle Brother record.

me neither (and me too..)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Ruckus

Quote from: Penny Lane on Aug 01, 2011, 03:28 PM

U sure about that Kyle?

mahg33ta

Quote from: Ruckus on Aug 01, 2011, 03:38 PM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Aug 01, 2011, 03:28 PM

U sure about that Kyle?

pretty sure, yeah - but only based on today's research.   I had no idea.

If you listen to the NFF archive I posted above - start at 21:58 and listen to the intro- sounds like Matt V saying "first heard this song when touring w/ these guys 6 years ago and it's still one of my favorite Dawes songs".

Or see this live youtube - that's 2007....
Simon Dawes-Blood And Guts