Main Menu

Middle Brother!

Started by wolof7, Jan 09, 2011, 07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Thought I'd give this a go in this thread because it seems there are a good number of fans of all three of these bands here.  If you guys were to make a mix CD, max 80 minutes of their tracks, what would it contain.  I was thinking more along the lines of a road trip cd for my tastes so here is how it may line up.  Obviously I'm skipping a million great tracks but yeah, this'll work for now

1.   Easy - DT
2.   Ode to Sunshine - DS
3.   Mange - DT
4.   The Way You Laugh - Dawes
5.   St. Francis - DS
6.   Ashamed - DT
7.   People C'mon - DS
8.   My Girl to Me - Dawes
9.   Houston, TX  - DT
10. People Turn Around - DS
11. Not So Dense - DT
12. When My Time Comes - Dawes
13. Twenty Miles - DT
14. 911 - DS
15. Baltimore Blues - DT
16. How Far We've Come - Dawes
17. Dirty Dishes - DT
18. Coming Back to a Man - Dawes
19. Ballad of Vitaly - DS
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

e_wind

don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

mahg33ta

Quote from: Ruckus on Oct 03, 2011, 11:14 PM
Thought I'd give this a go in this thread because it seems there are a good number of fans of all three of these bands here.  If you guys were to make a mix CD, max 80 minutes of their tracks, what would it contain.  I was thinking more along the lines of a road trip cd for my tastes so here is how it may line up.  Obviously I'm skipping a million great tracks but yeah, this'll work for now

1.   Easy - DT
3.   Mange - DT
5.   St. Francis - DS
6.   Ashamed - DT
7.   People C'mon - DS
9.   Houston, TX  - DT
11. Not So Dense - DT
13. Twenty Miles - DT
14. 911 - DS
15. Baltimore Blues - DT
17. Dirty Dishes - DT

This is really interesting Rob.   I know we are both big fans of these bands and this is a real fun exercise.

What I find fascinating is that for Deer Tick - we are SPOT on.   I mean, you list 8 songs and if I'd made my list, 7 of the 8 would be on there.   I love Smith Hill and would be in my top 5 for sure, probably bumping Twenty Miles down to #9 - but that's REAL fine tuning.  Basically I agree 99.9%.

For Dawes, probably batting about 500.   Peace in the Valley and Fire Away are two notable absences and a couple of yours I'm less wild about, but all in all, pretty close.

But Delta Spirit- ?! - we are far off.     I would not rank any of your 5 songs in my top 5...  Weird huh?  interesting - that we can both be such big fans but have different favorites (to be clear, I like the songs you list, just not my favs)

Since I got this far, here are my fav songs, in order

1.  Easy
2.  Ashamed
3.  Smith Hill
4.  Mange
5.  Dirty Dishes
6.  Not So Dense
7.  Houston, TX
8.  Baltimore Blues
9.  Twenty Miles
10. Art Isnt Real

1.  Children
2.  White Table
3.  Strange Vine
4.  Golden State
5.  Bushwick Blues
6.  People Turn Around
7.  Vitaly
8.  St Francis
9.  Bleeding Bells
10.  People Cmon

1.  When My Time Comes
2.  How Far We've Come
3.  Peace In the Valley
4.  That Western Skyline
5.  The Way You Laugh
6.  Time Spent in LA
7.  Fire Away
8.  If I Wanted Someone
9.  Million Dollar Bill
10. Little Bit of Everything (lyrics n all  ;))

capt. scotty

Quote from: Ruckus on Oct 03, 2011, 11:14 PM

1.   Easy - DT
3.   Mange - DT
5.   St. Francis - DS
6.   Ashamed - DT
7.   People C'mon - DS
9.   Houston, TX  - DT
11. Not So Dense - DT
13. Twenty Miles - DT
14. 911 - DS
15. Baltimore Blues - DT
17. Dirty Dishes - DT

Cool idea...Im really not familiar with Dawes enough to attempt this though. Making a road trip mix would definitely be different than if I was just picking my favorite 5-7 songs from each band though.

Im with g33ta on this one. Were much closer on DT songs Id consider to put on my mix than the DS songs I would choose.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Quote from: chaqueta sucia on Aug 31, 2011, 08:03 AM
Quote from: ironmike on Aug 30, 2011, 06:11 PM
Middle brother would be a lot better if the dude from dawes wasn't in it

Not a bad statement.  I actually agree 100%.  I feel Deer Tick and Delta Spirit's frontmen are much much stronger and kind of hang Gouldsmith out to dry a little skill wise.  I will however say they are different voices and that what is needed when bringing three together like this.  I just wonder the possibilities of who it would be if it wasn't Gouldsmith?  I have always been a huge Vasquez fan myself.

As I just said, Im really not familiar enough with Gouldsmith/Dawes enough to really comment, and I still havent gotten around to listening to the Middle Brother album yet, but I think Scott McMicken from Dr. Dog would be an interesting complement to McCauley and Vasquez
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

That's awesome Kyle!  The songs I listed were more in the sense of road trip to go disc golf in PA songs....not necessarily my favorites

I'll give you a little bit o' e'erthaaaang....just give me the time and place
I dig the song for sure.  It's just easier to be critical of a vocalist that enunciates his lyrics so well ::) ;D
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

e_wind

How is Goldsmith not good? Blood and Guts is a phenomenal song. As is Million Dollar Bill. He is actually the only one on the record that doesn't have a "bad" song. None of the recor is bad, but there are two songs I like less than the rest. I'm on my phone so I can't post, but the video of Blood And Guts at sxsw 2011 is amazing

e_wind

Blue Eyes was on the newest episode of Sons of Anarchy

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: e_wind on Oct 10, 2011, 02:29 AM
Blue Eyes was on the newest episode of Sons of Anarchy

Was it? I watch that show religiously and missed it.

They usually have some excellent music on that show. The pilot episode had a couple excellent Black Keys tracks.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

e_wind

Yeah, I LOVE SoA. My favorite show ever behind Lost. It was in there in a weird way, as if they were listening to, not as a track for the audience. It was quiet in the background, and when Jemma walked into the office and shut the door you couldn't hear it. It was more of a prop than a  part of a soundtrack. Really quiet, only about 30 seconds of the song or less.

Penny Lane

Quote from: e_wind on Oct 10, 2011, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I LOVE SoA. My favorite show ever behind Lost. It was in there in a weird way, as if they were listening to, not as a track for the audience. It was quiet in the background, and when Jemma walked into the office and shut the door you couldn't hear it. It was more of a prop than a  part of a soundtrack. Really quiet, only about 30 seconds of the song or less.

They played Delta Spirit's "People, Turn Around" in the one I watched the other day.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: e_wind on Oct 10, 2011, 12:45 PM

Oh yeah I do remember that! Man I love that show.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.