The Band's Twitter Account

Started by Haldon, Jan 13, 2011, 08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haldon

First let me say that I'm not really a tweeter.  I've had an account for about a year and half and have probably tweeted about 7 times.

That being said, I usually go to this site once a day, just to check for any interesting updates, and also to click the twitter links on the right side of the homepage.
While I do not think that anybody should control what another person tweets, or chooses to tweet, I must say that I am somewhat disapointed in MMJ's tweets.
Many of the  we get "Tom picture Time" or "Jim's photo of the day" or "Patrick's Pics," and while I appreicate the updated tweets, I am usually disapointed and frustrated that they are, more often then not, just random 'artistic style' pictures of things.
If I wanted artistic style pictures of things, I'd probably go to a photographer's webpage and scroll through his gallery.

So what am I (semi)complaining about. Well, I've been told the guys are working on an album.  How about My Morning Jacket tweets pictures of them(the actual guys) in the studio.  Or even just taking a lunch break.  Or drinking a beer.  Or taking a poop.....ok, maybe not taking a poop.  But an actual picture of people in the band, as opposed to a bunny mask.

Sorry if I'm being a dick.  Perhaps someone will say, "Haldon, be appreciative of your daily picture of the side of a building." 

Just curious if anyone feels the way I did, and I was also hoping that perhaps one of these days, as we all eagerly await the new album, that we would be treated to a tasty pic of some genious music making.

stepping down of the soapbox.......

BH

I also would like more relevant pics.  However, I'm not surprised we aren't getting them.  Mystery has always been a big part of this band.    It fuels the anticipation.

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

touchingmept2

The bands tweeting is probably the only tweets I look forward to when I'm twittering, hehe. I like the pics of denise and friends. But it would be cool if they threw in a random pic of one of them playing or eating or something.
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

br00ke

Quote from: BH on Jan 13, 2011, 09:29 AM
I also would like more relevant pics.  However, I'm not surprised we aren't getting them.  Mystery has always been a big part of this band.    It fuels the anticipation.

agreed on both counts .. not surprised but wish there were more MMJ/in-studio/what-have-you pix. my favorite tweets to-date are always of pooch & denise :thumbsup: i really loved the post-show setlist ones. at the end of the day though, i'm just glad the MMJ twitter account is active :)

el_chode

I disagree entirely. First, lp has said she's got some stuff from the studio. I just find it interesting to see what creative types do when they're not doing their main type of creativity.

It's sort of like seeing a teacher somewhere that's not the classroom.
I'm surrounded by assholes

BH

Can we speculate on today's tweet?

If you add one to every lamp, but then have the last lamp steal the second to last lamps one, then read it backwards, you get 5-24-11.   The new album release date!  It's a Tuesday!

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

SaraBananaBear

I like the photos a lot. I see them as a peek behind the curtain, where you get to see things that the band finds beautiful, funny and/or things that inspire them. I think it's a very personal twitter compared to other artists twitters. My Morning Jacket share the number one spot in my heart with Bright Eyes and just as an example the Bright Eyes twitter, as beautiful as it is, is not very personal. I'm pretty sure Conor Oberst, Mike Mogis or Nate Walcott doesn't have anything to do with what's posted there.

It's very easy being a MMJ fan, they're so productive it seems there's something happening almost every day.  If it's not a show, it's an interview being published, or DJing on a radio show or a tweet. There's almost always something. Maybe it's because I was a Bright Eyes fan long before I was a MMJ fan, but when I compare the output of info, it's a big difference, even considering Bright Eyes put out a lot of stuff too.

I'll forever be grateful for the music that MMJ makes, for the joy that I get out of it, everything beyond that is just adding to the excess. So I'm happy that they even have a twitter and that it's so personal, but that's like the 100th item (if even that) on the list of things that I get out of being a MMJ fan.
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

danz

Quote from: BH on Jan 13, 2011, 04:42 PM

If you add one to every lamp, but then have the last lamp steal the second to last lamps one, then read it backwards, you get 5-24-11.   The new album release date!  It's a Tuesday!

woah woah woah!

bluesky

Who told Jim that my birthday is that week?  ;)

br00ke

from MMJ twitter today .. Historical Documents w/ LP. Pooch has been out getting rowdy in the snow.   looking good Pooch :thumbsup:

i wonder how heavy pooch & denise are .. is it cumbersome to lug them around & set them up in different poses / scenarios

weeniebeenie

I like the Tweets/photos. They're interesting.
How loud can silence get?

ms. yvon

Quote from: Haldon on Jan 13, 2011, 08:45 AM
Perhaps someone will say, "Haldon, be appreciative of your daily picture of the side of a building." 
consider this forum & the email list "informative" and twitter "for kicks."

your best option here is to "unfollow" their feed.
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

e_wind

that seems like quite a stretch, but shouldn't we hear something about the release date soon? it's less than five months.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

boxcar

I like the tweets.  I'm not very big into social media stuff and only follow MMJ on twitter but I set up MMJ tweets to go directly to my phone like texts and I love getting them, like the band is texting me!! It was awesome during the tour and in the build up to all the T5 madness, I was getting like several a day some days.  It always made me smile.  And I'll agree that some of it lately seems, well, random, but I still dig it and am glad that they didn't stop tweeting even though less is going on right now. 

aMillionDreams

I'm still surprised they have a twitter account.

Also, some of those seemingly random photos are actually glimpses into the studio and the recording of the album.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

johnnYYac

So the new album's title is "Oxen"?

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

touchingmept2

I'm guessing a new slow jam titled "Oxen"!!!!!!
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

aMillionDreams

Oxen = How Could I Know?

Newbies!  ::)

;)
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

johnnYYac

Quote from: aMillionDreams on Jan 18, 2011, 11:02 PM
Oxen = How Could I Know?

;)
Alright, winking emoticons aside, enlighten me.  I think I heard that somewhere, but can't recall.  Alternate title?  Code name?  Just curious.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Crispy

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 19, 2011, 12:19 PM
Quote from: aMillionDreams on Jan 18, 2011, 11:02 PM
Oxen = How Could I Know?

;)
Alright, winking emoticons aside, enlighten me.  I think I heard that somewhere, but can't recall.  Alternate title?  Code name?  Just curious.
I don't know how the name "Oxen" specifically came about, but the reason is that confusion arose with it and How Do You Know on setlists, so they started calling it by a different name. Check out the 2004-05-28 Toronto show for a nice explanation from Jim hisownself.

Also, I believe it was labeled "Oxen" on the T5 setlist! Is that right, Penny? (Edit: I see in the T5 pix and vids thread that it was indeed.)
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"