What Vinyl Did You Just Buy?

Started by Ruckus, Jan 26, 2011, 08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkeye

Quote from: headhunter on Nov 21, 2011, 02:51 PM
Jon-
Most phono's have a very weak output (low amplification signal) and need to have some type of boost to push  the volume to a level that you would listen to anything else on.
Plugging something into an aux jack that is not a dedicated phono input (which would probably have sufficient amplification) will not work.  Many systems (like mine) require a separate phono-preamp to plug into that aux jack and then plug the phone chords into to new phono pre-amp. It is much easier than you think but unless your stereo or receiver has a dedicated phono jack, you must pick up a dedicated phono preamp.
Depending on your budget you might need to spend a few bucks (at least $100)  to get something that works.  You can easily buy a used one on a website like audiogon or ebay  that would work.
http://www.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?preaphon
PM if you have any questions and I'd be glad to try and help.

ps-  I have that Phosphorescent on lp and it sounds awesome.  Beats the heck out of the cd.

HH hit the nail on the head.  I've only ever heard that album on vinyl.  Guess that's a good thing.  It is a good one.

Been slacking big-time on this thread, but here's the latest:

Bought it on my trip to Asheville on the suggestion of a friend...only listened to side A so far, but no regrets!
We could.

Jon T.

Jon-
Most phono's have a very weak output (low amplification signal) and need to have some type of boost to push  the volume to a level that you would listen to anything else on.
Plugging something into an aux jack that is not a dedicated phono input (which would probably have sufficient amplification) will not work.  Many systems (like mine) require a separate phono-preamp to plug into that aux jack and then plug the phone chords into to new phono pre-amp. It is much easier than you think but unless your stereo or receiver has a dedicated phono jack, you must pick up a dedicated phono preamp.
Depending on your budget you might need to spend a few bucks (at least $100)  to get something that works.  You can easily buy a used one on a website like audiogon or ebay  that would work.

ps-  I have that Phosphorescent on lp and it sounds awesome.  Beats the heck out of the cd.

Thanks!  I really appreciate it.  I think what I will do is end up hooking it back up to system it came with (with the phone input).  I was just being impatient and was trying to get it working the most simple way possible.  Anyway, I think I'm going to hook up the "new" stereo in the garage for now (speakers are too large to convince my wife to put in our living room).  Again, thanks for your help, and your offer for future help.  :beer: 

headhunter

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Nov 21, 2011, 03:02 PM
Eagerly awaiting these to ship....

YHF is an awesome sonic experience exceeded ONLY by Kicking Television which at 4 lps is over 2x as long as YHF.  PLUS  Kicking includes 7 extra tunes that are not on the Kicking Television double cd set..   You are in for a nice night of listening once these babies arrive.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: headhunter on Nov 21, 2011, 03:44 PM
Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Nov 21, 2011, 03:02 PM
Eagerly awaiting these to ship....

YHF is an awesome sonic experience exceeded ONLY by Kicking Television which at 4 lps is over 2x as long as YHF.  PLUS  Kicking includes 7 extra tunes that are not on the Kicking Television double cd set..   You are in for a nice night of listening once these babies arrive.

I'm pretty excited. Got them for 40% off, and have only listened to them on CDs for the past few years. Gonna break out the good headphones for these, and a couple cold Goose Islands.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Ruckus

Quote from: Jon T. on Nov 21, 2011, 03:42 PM
Jon-

Thanks!  I really appreciate it.  I think what I will do is end up hooking it back up to system it came with (with the phone input).  I was just being impatient and was trying to get it working the most simple way possible.  Anyway, I think I'm going to hook up the "new" stereo in the garage for now (speakers are too large to convince my wife to put in our living room).  Again, thanks for your help, and your offer for future help.  :beer:
Yeah I was gonna respond with some amateurish jargon about preamps, Tebow, cartridges, Royal Reds and needles but I figured headhunter or Crispy would one up me anyways so....I too eagerly await the arrival of Kicking Television
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: jones on Nov 19, 2011, 07:01 PM
Control Yourself/Warrior Man 7"

I thought this wasn't out until Nov 25?

jones

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Nov 21, 2011, 05:02 PM

They were selling it anyway.  You should be able to get it tomorrow night. 

There is no standard color for these discs.  I don't know if they got some kind of deal for it, but apparently they were using "left over" materials and whatever color was poured into the hopper was what was used.  At least that's how I understood the story from the merch crew.  Mine is orange and my buddy's was red.  I saw another picture on FB and that one was green. 

They also have reissues of all of the other full length LPs just in case you are missing any (even the out of print Fate and We All Belong).

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: jones on Nov 21, 2011, 05:14 PM

There is no standard color for these discs.  I don't know if they got some kind of deal for it, but apparently they were using "left over" materials and whatever color was poured into the hopper was what was used.  At least that's how I understood the story from the merch crew.  Mine is orange and my buddy's was red.  I saw another picture on FB and that one was green. 

They also have reissues of all of the other full length LPs just in case you are missing any (even the out of print Fate and We All Belong).

Oh awesome I didn't realize you got it at a show. I'll plan on brining some extra cash to pick up Fate, too.

jones

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Nov 21, 2011, 05:17 PM
Quote from: jones on Nov 21, 2011, 05:14 PM

Oh awesome I didn't realize you got it at a show. I'll plan on brining some extra cash to pick up Fate, too.
Yeah, I bought it in Chattanooga on Friday.  Have a great time tomorrow night! 

/ Jealous!!!

ChronicHunger

Boom, So good. The new album should be great!

sweatboard

Black Friday, got an advance on some Christmas money.  Went the fuck off!!

suck it!!!!!  this album is fun. 

There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

Holy SHIT!!  I've taken it easy this year until today.  While creating this post I've been listening to Middle Brother........FUCK, I need to get that as well!!  :)
There's Still Time.........

jones

johnnYYac

Well, they were sold out of everything I wanted by the time I got to the only RSD dealer near me.  So I "settled" for these:

Harrison's 1970 solo debut, released in a limited edition, numbered 180-gram vinyl set, with faithfully replicated monochromic album art, poster and lift-top box packaging. Newly remastered to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of the release.

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

headhunter

Nice pickup. All things must pass is one of the all time greats.

I am in Boston for Thanksgiving weekend and made it to two different Newbury Comics today and picked up a bunch of goodies.

"new" dead europe 72 part two
Wilco ep
Iron and wine & low anthem ep
Justin townes earle single
Tom petty live ep

Anything to help the local record stores is a good thing, right.

johnnYYac

If anyone picked up a spare copy of this Wilco EP, I'd love to discuss taking it off your hands.

e_wind

Quote from: sweatboard on Nov 25, 2011, 12:29 PM

Holy SHIT!!  I've taken it easy this year until today.  While creating this post I've been listening to Middle Brother........FUCK, I need to get that as well!!  :)

IMO, middle brother and wilco are neck and neck for album of the year. Middle brother is better now, but I think wilcos album has some serious longevity behind it.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

ManNamedTruth

Bought my friend's bands album at the show the other day.
1,2,3 - New Heaven

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

johnnYYac

Quote from: johnnYYac on Nov 25, 2011, 08:25 PM
If anyone picked up a spare copy of this Wilco EP, I'd love to discuss taking it off your hands.

Nevermind.  I scored one on eBay for $20!  I'm happy.

headhunter

Quote from: johnnYYac on Nov 26, 2011, 12:54 AM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Nov 25, 2011, 08:25 PM

Nevermind.  I scored one on eBay for $20!  I'm happy.

Got this too and spun it before. Excellent 4 song mini-ep?  Johnny, I think I see a vinyl addiction in your future.