What Vinyl Did You Just Buy?

Started by Ruckus, Jan 26, 2011, 08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jones

Crispy

I love that record, jonesy, wish I had that vinyl.

Latest:

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Fully

Hey Crispy! I almost bought that Portishead album yesterday. Let me know how good it is.

Crispy

Quote from: Fully on Dec 20, 2011, 11:31 AM
Hey Crispy! I almost bought that Portishead album yesterday. Let me know how good it is.
Hey Fully! It's great, but may not be for everyone. Very dark, trippy and weird (duh), maybe not as accessible or enjoyable as the first record, Dummy, but rewarding. "All Mine" is especially haunting.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Fully

Quote from: Crispy on Dec 20, 2011, 11:39 AM
Hey Fully! It's great, but may not be for everyone. Very dark, trippy and weird (duh), maybe not as accessible or enjoyable as the first record, Dummy, but rewarding. "All Mine" is especially haunting.
Well, since I spotify stalk you and I really like most of the playlists you make, I think I might like it. I'll have to go back to the Grimeys soon.

Crispy

Quote from: Fully on Dec 20, 2011, 11:44 AM
Well, since I spotify stalk you and I really like most of the playlists you make, I think I might like it. I'll have to go back to the Grimeys soon.

What! You're spotify stalking me? I wanna stalk you!

Done! WHOA, 54 playlists?? I gots listening to do...

Fully

Quote from: Crispy on Dec 20, 2011, 11:49 AM
Quote from: Fully on Dec 20, 2011, 11:44 AM

What! You're spotify stalking me? I wanna stalk you!

Done! WHOA, 54 playlists?? I gots listening to do...
Not a lot of new music in those, but stalk away.

jones

Quote from: Crispy on Dec 20, 2011, 10:59 AM
I love that record, jonesy, wish I had that vinyl.
I had been watching on eBay for a while and this one had slight damage to a corner of the sleeve with a mint record, so I jumped on it.  Still not cheap, but...

Now if I could just find a copy of Lawn Boy for less than the going rate of $500...

Jon T.

My kick-ass wife had this waiting for me today.  I know I told her that this was one of the first records I wanted to listen to on our record player.  I didn't think she was paying attention, though. 

and this.  this sucker is heavy.

Ruckus

Yeah, I recently bought Phossie as well.  Thee Oh Sees Carrilon is on the way
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

darkglow

headhunter

Quote from: Jon T. on Dec 21, 2011, 10:51 PM
My kick-ass wife had this waiting for me today.  I know I told her that this was one of the first records I wanted to listen to on our record player.  I didn't think she was paying attention, though. 

that is one good wife u got there!  both are nice goodies.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

Hawkeye

Quote from: headhunter on Dec 22, 2011, 11:49 AM
Quote from: Jon T. on Dec 21, 2011, 10:51 PM

that is one good wife u got there!  both are nice goodies.

Yes and Yes.  I've got the Phossie album.  I think ISM is next on my list of vinyl purchases, what with the glorious sound from this Rega.  NEED to hear Steam Engine and Rolling Back on vinyl.
We could.

Jon T.

Quote from: Hawkeye on Dec 22, 2011, 02:47 PM

Yes and Yes.  I've got the Phossie album.  I think ISM is next on my list of vinyl purchases, what with the glorious sound from this Rega.  NEED to hear Steam Engine and Rolling Back on vinyl.

I listened to ISM last night.  I don't want to go overboard and describe something that most of you in the thread already know, but I was blown away.  Here is this album that I thought I knew front and back that I've listened to countless times over the last six years and it's all of the sudden better than I even knew.  So many ooohs and ahhhs, guitar riffs, different tones that I've never heard before.  I was floored.  Really no other way to describe it.

That being said, and I know I'm about to go down a rabbit hole with this, but something is not quite right with my sound.  I'm going to try and describe it and hopefully someone can help?!  I'm getting this extra "noise" out of my speakers.  It's not humming, but it's almost like this subtle "knocks".  I don't know if this is normal or if there is something off with my set up, but when you tap the tt, it sounds as if you're tapping a microphone through the speakers.  Is that normal?  That is what I'm hearing while a record is playing.  It's very subtle and it's not continuous, there are just these amplified "taps" throughout.  Any ideas?

Hawkeye

Off-hand:
1)  is your vinyl completely clean?  I guess these are new records so they should be...
2)  I have yet to do the whole set-up thing, but at least make sure the TT is level.  There are some protractors you can find on-line to make sure your stylus is aligned properly and all that jazz.  I have yet to do that, but my TT sounded good out of the box so it hasn't been a priority.  Vinyl Engine website has some good forums if the problem persists.
We could.

Fully

Crispy

Jealous, Fully! That KORT record is great, I fuggin' love Courtney Tidwell.

Fully

Quote from: Crispy on Dec 23, 2011, 10:12 AM
Jealous, Fully! That KORT record is great, I fuggin' love Courtney Tidwell.

It is. I had been listening to digital files of it, and I don't buy much vinyl because I can always use one less thing to buy, but I finally decided to just go ahead and get it. (I've really got to stop doing that)

Jon T.

Quote from: Hawkeye on Dec 23, 2011, 09:27 AM
Off-hand:
1)  is your vinyl completely clean?  I guess these are new records so they should be...
2)  I have yet to do the whole set-up thing, but at least make sure the TT is level.  There are some protractors you can find on-line to make sure your stylus is aligned properly and all that jazz.  I have yet to do that, but my TT sounded good out of the box so it hasn't been a priority.  Vinyl Engine website has some good forums if the problem persists.

Thanks. Vinyl is clean.  Man, that protractor stuff looks intimidating.  The cartridge I bought was pretty cheap and I had to put an adapter on it for it to work with the tt.  It's too heavy for the tonearm to lift and lower correctly.  I wonder if that is part of it.  I've heard enough to know that I'm willing to invest in a proper cartridge replacement, I just don't want to spend that kind of money and still not get it sorted out.

headhunter

Jon,
It's possible your cartridge isn't set up right. Sometimes you can set the proper weight dor tracking purposes.  If it too heavy for your tonearm to lift, the azimuth and or weight is probably wrong.  Do u live near an audio store that might be able to help?
When properly set up, you should never have any of those problems.
Is your adapter a phono pre amp or something else?
was some shakin' and some record playin'