Radiohead and the decline of musical creativity

Started by Tracy 2112, Feb 27, 2011, 02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

As a total side-note, but being that this is my area of interest, I wonder what outside factors may play into this. There's a huge debate over the idea that the law strangles creativity and favors the big guys at the expense of the little guys. I might ponder on this and analyze later
I'm surrounded by assholes

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

pawpaw

Quote from: el_chode on Feb 28, 2011, 02:10 PM
As a total side-note, but being that this is my area of interest, I wonder what outside factors may play into this. There's a huge debate over the idea that the law strangles creativity and favors the big guys at the expense of the little guys. I might ponder on this and analyze later

I've never been in a band, so I'm just guessing at all this stuff...

I think you need a great songwriter to sustain a great band. Then, you need egos to be balanced, good health, commitment to improving, and the ability to make enough money to stay together for a long period of time. Kind of sounds like any business partnership when I say it that way... ???

I'm not sure how much the law would contribute, but I'd be intersted in hearing your ideas.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

pawpaw

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 28, 2011, 11:42 AM
I think the only way to avoid this so called mediocrity is if you are introduced to a band for the 1st time later in it's career where all of it is new to you. 

I mean it's like marriage right?  Not that I would know.  You still love her but she isn't getting any more attractive and the yearning in the loins dulls a bit (completely)...no?  Is that mediocrity?  Nope. It's still great but just too much of the same thing. ;) :-X

Bob Mould. If I am going to introduce someone to Bob Mould's 30 year plus body of work, I am not going to start them off with his 2005 effort Body of Song. (did you see what I just did there? Body of work? Body of Song?    boooooo-yah!)
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Tracy 2112

If I were to guess, or if I were a betting man, and you can probably guess by that statement that I am not a betting man, guessing you followed my logic and not betting that I wasn't guessing about betting but probably metaphorically betting about guessing....

I think I will not be suprised if I like the new album more than EU. And I say that hoping not for an At Dawn rehash, but from the need to hear something I have never heard before, which, of course, I will, regardless.

:-\

bowl of soup

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 28, 2011, 02:42 PM
I think the only way to avoid this so called mediocrity is if you are introduced to a band for the 1st time later in it's career where all of it is new to you. 

I mean it's like marriage right?  Not that I would know.  You still love her but she isn't getting any more attractive and the yearning in the loins dulls a bit (completely)...no?  Is that mediocrity?  Nope. It's still great but just too much of the same thing. ;) :-X

Bob Mould. If I am going to introduce someone to Bob Mould's 30 year plus body of work, I am not going to start them off with his 2005 effort Body of Song. (did you see what I just did there? Body of work? Body of Song?    boooooo-yah!)

But I'd bet that you wouldn't start at Land Speed Record either.  I'd bet you start at Copper Blue.  If someone came up to me and said, "Mr. Soup, what is My Morning Jacket?"  I would give them Z.  Maybe the new album will be 10 different versions of the Double Rainbow song - to quote Charlie Sheen (and everyone should quote Charlie Sheen), "WINNER!"
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: bowl of soup on Feb 28, 2011, 03:09 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 28, 2011, 02:42 PM

But I'd bet that you wouldn't start at Land Speed Record either.  I'd bet you start at Copper Blue.

I always start with Megamanic, soup

Tracy 2112