MMJ: Southern Ghost Voices - article

Started by SaraBananaBear, Mar 01, 2011, 12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaraBananaBear

American Songwriter article found here: http://www.americansongwriter.com/2011/03/my-morning-jacket-southern-ghost-voices/ So many great quotes I can't pick one, so here's one of the photos instead:

:D
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

kydiddle

Thanks so much for posting this! Great article.

Can I just say it blows my mind that Jim used a scene from Mad Men to explain how songwriting comes to him? Awesome.
Cow temperature.

.Walt

Much Greater Than Science Fiction

tdb810

A-N-T-I-C-I-P-A-T-I-O-N!

After that description of this recording process, my hopes are SUPER DUPER high for this album!

Cannot wait!   :D :D :D
.....Back at the Model Home

kydiddle

Quote from: tdb810 on Mar 01, 2011, 01:31 PM
A-N-T-I-C-I-P-A-T-I-O-N!

After that description of this recording process, my hopes are SUPER DUPER high for this album!

Cannot wait!   :D :D :D

RIGHT!? They seem so satisfied with the process I can't wait to hear it...agggghhhhh....
Cow temperature.

EasyRyder

oh man oh man oh man....this is one of my favorite interviews!! Thanks so much for sharing  :D

I cannot wait to hear more piano and a more relaxed-feeling album...just after reading that interview I feel more relaxed  ;D must...have...tour...dates...
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

Honest Man

What an amazing article. I am so stoked that the album is going to be
more raw sounding again.
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

e_wind

Great read. That recording process sounds like were gonna get something special. I know this is anticipation and excitement talking, but I won't be surprised if a lot of us feel like this is on par with earlier records. I also feel like the public might not receive it as well as Z, but thats okay.  :)
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

touchingmept2

I really liked how Patrick said he was building forts and how they used tapes to record and not any high tech stuff!!!! ;D ;) :D
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

br00ke

add me to the 'wow, really great article' .. i've been reading parts throughout the work day. i love getting so much chat about the process that was creating the new album and also discussing the T5 run .. i had literally just been wondering "what did they think of T5?"  :thumbsup:

BH

Awesome.    This was the line that turned me on the most:

JJ: I got to spend a lot of time on each cut with effects [vocals] and stuff at my house by myself. Which was something. It was nice to take all the time in the world and just focus, lock in.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Penny Lane

1. i totally remember that Mad Men scene that Jim's referring to..

and

2. are there really turnip trucks? (i thought that was an expression)?! ha!

luv this article, thank you!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

scosby2

this is the best article about the band I have read in a long time. something about the way they are talking about this album leads me to believe it is gonna be their best one yet. that's a huge statement I know but I feel it. I love the part about recording the song with the piano and being able to hear the cars outside in the rain.

TGMC421

Great article!  This just brought the excitement to new heights!   :D

ChiefOKONO

thank you, this was awesomeness!!!

bluesky

The article was so present and insightful, how they describe working together and the recording. Sounds like they have really taken the whole process to another level artistically. Everything about it sounds so immediate and that they are being guided by the process.

"On the day we recorded the song where the piano's really prominent, you can hear the cars driving by in the rain."

johnnYYac

Here's the cover, from a copy on eBay for $9.

Here's a better view:

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

bluesky

http://www.theturniptruck.com/          ;)

Quote from: Penne BruLane on Mar 01, 2011, 05:35 PM
1. i totally remember that Mad Men scene that Jim's referring to..

and

2. are there really turnip trucks? (i thought that was an expression)?! ha!

luv this article, thank you!

johnnYYac

I've spent a lot of the past few days listening to Ch. 1 and 2 Early Recordings and the TTF/AD Demos disc, plus other rare and "lost" gems.  I think when Jim talks about how he put all of his creative energy into early demos, it comes through in these early recordings and explains why they released so much of the demos from the first 2 albums.  To suggest he held back on recent demos to save the energy for recording bodes well for this Circuital. 

I am SO EXCITED for this album, particularly because I really feel I've freed my mind from any preconceived notions of what it will be, or not be.  And everything I've heard, read, and seen around the new recording suggests its going to be true to who, what, and where MMJ are now. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

scosby2

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 02, 2011, 08:32 AM
I've spent a lot of the past few days listening to Ch. 1 and 2 Early Recordings and the TTF/AD Demos disc, plus other rare and "lost" gems.  I think when Jim talks about how he put all of his creative energy into early demos, it comes through in these early recordings and explains why they released so much of the demos from the first 2 albums.  To suggest he held back on recent demos to save the energy for recording bodes well for this Circuital. 

I am SO EXCITED for this album, particularly because I really feel I've freed my mind from any preconceived notions of what it will be, or not be.  And everything I've heard, read, and seen around the new recording suggests its going to be true to who, what, and where MMJ are now.
well said...i can't wait for this thing to come out either...plus all the live action all of us are gonna be getting in different parts of the country