Main Menu

The Sheepdogs

Started by The Ditchrider, Mar 02, 2011, 06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidus

Quote from: capt. scotty on Aug 01, 2011, 11:29 PM
Learn & Burn has quickly risen to my top 5 albums of 2011, maybe favorite when its all said and done  :bath:

I think Learn & Burn is a 2010 album, right? I also really love this album, all songs are great. Catfish 2 Boogalo is my favorite song I think, really love the jam part at the end. Can listen to that song over and over again!

I haven't listened to their two earlier CD's. Are they also good? Hopefully they will visit Europe soon :)

capt. scotty

Quote from: Sidus on Aug 02, 2011, 05:44 AM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Aug 01, 2011, 11:29 PM
Learn & Burn has quickly risen to my top 5 albums of 2011, maybe favorite when its all said and done  :bath:

I think Learn & Burn is a 2010 album, right? I also really love this album, all songs are great. Catfish 2 Boogalo is my favorite song I think, really love the jam part at the end. Can listen to that song over and over again!

I haven't listened to their two earlier CD's. Are they also good? Hopefully they will visit Europe soon :)

Investigated this a little more. Their site calls it a 2010 release, Amazon lists the release date as March 29, 2011 and wikipedia has "I Dont Know" as a 2011 single. Sputnik music reviewed the album 3/22/11, Hearya reviewed it 10/23/10, popmatters reviewed it 2/23/10...Based on what Ive gathered, Id guess it was independently released by them in 2010 but they got signed to a major label and it saw wide release this year. Considering it seems most discovered them/this album Im album year, Im personally going to still consider it a 2011 release.

Thanks for putting this out there though, because upon visiting their site, I found out you can download their album Big Stand for free on their site  :thumbsup:
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

The Ditchrider

So glad these guys won the contest...truly deserved.

I am glad that someone who plays actual kick ass rock n roll won the contest and not a 2011 gimmick band act.  I wish them the best and to keep doing what they're doing!

Fully

I've been listening to this band lately. I'm really enjoying their self-titled album. I haven't listened to anything earlier by them yet. So far everything that I've heard from them I like.  I'd love to see them live.

http://youtu.be/wIQKuVtZ-X4

capt. scotty

I take it their new album is the S/T?? I listened to it once a few weeks ago. While I liked it, it just sounded like more of the same but not as good as Learn & Burn either - an album which many here compared with numerous classic rock bands and I fully agree and they have that sort of versatility...It was good enough, but didnt excite me like L&B. I should definitely revisit it though.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

el_chode

Is the new one really worth looking into? Last I read they were being groomed by Queens of Leon. Learn and Burn soundtracked my summer two yearsago
I'm surrounded by assholes

Fully

Quote from: el_chode on Nov 12, 2012, 08:06 AM
Is the new one really worth looking into? Last I read they were being groomed by Queens of Leon. Learn and Burn soundtracked my summer two yearsago

Well, I liked what I heard. Just because KOL are a bag of dicks, I hate to judge this band based on their association to them.

wolof7

Scotty I agree, upon first listen the new album did not and still does not trump Learn and Burn but upon repeat listens there is plenty to love on the S/T album. solid album fo sho.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

oistheone

I definitely agree that the new album doesn't even come close to topping L+B. I absolutely despise "Feeling Good", and I can't even listen to it. Carney should be ashamed of himself as a producer -- he forced the Sheepdogs into the now-omnipresent "Howlin' For You" formula, which is NOT ground the Dogs should be treading. I like my Sheepdogs as a 2012 version of the Guess Who, not Black Keys carbon copies.

I do really enjoy some tracks on the new album though. "Never Gonna Get My Love" is a real highlight, those harmonies are fantastic, and a great sweeping slide guitar part too. It's also hard not to love the infectious "I Need Help", and the riff on "How Late How Long" would make the Allman Brothers proud.

Overall, a decent collection featuring some great individual tracks, but L+B was more of an "album" to me, and a great one at that.

alienlanes

Learn + Burn is definitely better than the new one. I think there is just too much Black Keys influence on the new album - and that instrumental track is a total Allman Brothers rip off, like a 2012 version of In Memory of Elizabeth Reed.

However, these guys are really nice, down to earth. it's cool for them that they won the rolling stone award, but I am sure with it they ended up losing some of their own freedom.

Come Closer

New album is out. Sounded pretty good the first time through.

wheelhousetunes

Love this band. Saw them about 3 weeks back and it was a great show.

The new album is really good.