CIRCUITAL- What we know so far...

Started by johnnYYac, Mar 03, 2011, 03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

I thought this might deserve its own thread.  Forgive my indulgence. 

So, after reading the RS article, the American Songwriters interview, seeing the VH1 Storytellers setlist, and from other various sources and whatnot, we have 7 tracks from the new album "Ciruital" identified:

Victory Dance- "the slow-building, spooky opener, (with drummer Patrick Hallahan working his high-hat with Neil Peart-like sleekness)"- RS

Wonderful- "the gorgeous ballad"- RS

My Morning Jacket - Wonderful(The Way I Feel) (live)

Holdin' on to Black Metal- "augmented by massed female voices and what sounds like wah-wah-ed horns — a combo that lands the song somewhere between "Superfly" and "Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)."- RS

Friends Again-

Friends Again (encore #2) - My Morning Jacket

Out of My System- "power-poppy... originally intended to be played by Muppets: An exec recruited My Morning Jacket to record music for a new version of the Electric Mayhem band (the one with Animal on drums), promising a Gorillaz-style tour where MMJ would play behind a curtain while Muppet holograms bashed away onstage. The psyched band began writing and demo'ing, but the exec got fired and the project disappeared. (In any case, the lyrics of "Out of My System" — "They told me not to smoke drugs, but I didn't listen" — probably wouldn't have worked out.)"- RS

Movin' Away- only those at VH1 Storytellers can speak to this, I guess.

Circuital- "The album's least concise moment is the title track, which weighs in at more than seven minutes, beginning with a circular guitar riff over a drum-machine beat, before blasting into multiple sections that came together one day during a jam in James' basement."- RS

Circuital - My Morning Jacket - KFC Yum! Center - 10.29.10

"With trippy keyboards, twisted pop hooks and fuzzed-out guitar attacks, Circuital (the album) feels like the culmination of the sonic adventures the band began with 2005's Z — while also capturing the power and dynamics that have made MMJ one of the greatest live bands of their generation. "This record feels like a couple of steps forward of what we'd been doing in terms of overall sound," says guitarist Carl Broemel, who made a point of mostly improvising his jaggedly powerful solos on the new record, rather than composing them as usual."- RS

Also, note the RS article says Circuital will come in at about 10 minutes shorter than EU.

Here are the approximate running times of the studio albums:

TTF 57:55
AD 74:18
ISM 72:08
Z 47:24 (52:06 w/Chills bonus track)
EU 55:41
C  46:00-ish
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

scosby2

you would have to make the anticipation that much worse

johnnYYac

Quote from: scosby2 on Mar 03, 2011, 03:37 PM
Too much?

I found the first published version of lyrics to Circuital online just minutes ago.  I haven't had a chance to verify. 

Circuital

Spinning out, gracefully
Going nowhere, quickly
I'm older, day by day
Still going back to my childhood way

Circuital
Round and round patiently
Getting lost by the guide
And I'm all worked up over nothing

Circuits
All over me now
You make my body ache
I'll keep it 'til it growls

Circuits
You're like the end of the moon
But you got to be modest
And I don't know what to do

Well you can play open the windows
Or you can blow them up
Say you still cry on
Or crying still moved on

You think you'll find yourself out there
Out in the dying spread
It's somebody's adult
Over the systems

I disappear into the vacuum
Followed reality
The way you can't lose nothing
Then nothing can be gained

Well maybe we can cut it
But you're spinning around
Out on the circuits
Over the hollow grounds
Out on the circuits
Over the hollow grounds
Even though it's the same place
That we started out
Act like we're in the same place
That we starting out

Let her know

headhunter

Thanks John.  I for one am super excited for this album and while I will buy the vinyl the first moment I can, there is no way I can wait to hear the album on release day if things start to leak out.  Those of us who have already seen Circuital, Wonderful and Friends Again live are certainly not going to be disappointed.

Actually, I don't think anyone on this forum will be disappointed with the new album (with one notable H exception).  Just a feeling.    Bring it on.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

Honest Man

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 03, 2011, 03:59 PM
Too much?

I found the first published version of lyrics to Circuital online just minutes ago.  I haven't had a chance to verify. 

Circuital

Spinning out, gracefully
Going nowhere, quickly
I'm older, day by day

Circuital

Circuits
All over me now
You make my body ache

Circuits
But you got to be modest

Or you can blow them up
Say you still cry on
Or crying still moved on

Out in the dying spread
It's somebody's adult
Over the systems

Followed reality

Well maybe we can cut it
Out on the circuits
Over the hollow grounds
Out on the circuits
Over the hollow grounds
That we started out
That we starting out

Let her know

It looks way off in a lot of places. Just my two cents.
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

e_wind

Let's do the lyrics to Friends Again
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

johnnYYac

Quote from: Honest Man on Mar 03, 2011, 04:47 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 03, 2011, 03:59 PM
Too much?

Circuital

Spinning out, gracefully
Going nowhere, quickly
I'm older, day by day

Circuital

Circuits
All over me now
You make my body ache

Circuits
But you got to be modest

Or you can blow them up
Say you still cry on
Or crying still moved on

Out in the dying spread
It's somebody's adult
Over the systems

Followed reality

Well maybe we can cut it
Out on the circuits
Over the hollow grounds
Out on the circuits
Over the hollow grounds
That we started out
That we starting out

Let her know

It looks way off in a lot of places. Just my two cents.

Really?  I hadn't had a chance to go over it yet.  It was from one of the many lyrics sites out there, don't recall which one.  I noticed earlier attempts at the lyrics had gaps, so maybe this can assist in filling those gaps? 

bluesky

I made an attempt at the lyrics after T5, they are on the other lyrics thread....but here's what I think they are...please feel free to make adjustments.

Spin out, gracefully                                   
Going nowhere, quickly
I'm older, day by day

Circuital

Circuits
Are running out
Connect my body deep into the ground

Circuits
Connect the edge of the moon and make our heavenly bodies not a moment too soon   

Well you can  ? open the widows or you can board em up
Satan's to crowd, Christ humble cup.
You think you find yourself out there out in the loin's den
Somebody got a up a ?  tales

Or disappear into the vacuum of ?
Where you can't lose nothing but nothing can be gained

But any way you cut it
We're just spinning round
Out on the circuits
Over the hollow grounds
Out on the circuits
Over the hollow grounds
Ending up in the same place
That we started out
Right back in the same place
Right back in the same place
That we started out

Let her know  ?                                 

The DARK

I'd always imagined Circuital as the first song on the album, with that intro... this upstart Victory Dance has a lot to live up to!  ;)
In another time, in another place, in another face

johnnYYac

e_wind

I'm holdin out for before hangout
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

johnnYYac

The article below states April 12 is the release date.  A blog associated with the Courier-Journal (see post above) says "late May."  :-\

From the San Francisco Examiner, March 4, 2011

My Morning Jacket counting down the days until new release

http://www.sfexaminer.com/blogs/backstage-pass/2011/03/my-morning-jacket-counting-down-days-until-new-release

By: Tom Lanham  03/04/11  3:00 PM

Speaking of strange recording locales, how does a gymnasium located within the sacred confines of an actual church grab you?

Weird, huh?

But that's where Jim James and his band My Morning Jacket chose to track their upcoming "Circuital" set, their sixth, in their hometown of Louisville, Ky. The record was produced by James himself, along with Tucker Martine. And they're doing something equally unusual to promote it.

MMJ are launching a countdown to the album's April 12 release, something truly for the fans.

Starting now, the group will give away six weekly downloads. The first five will be live songs culled from last October's weeklong run at New York's Terminal 5 club. And during the sixth week, the free download will be a brand-new song from "Circuital."

All you need to do is drop by their website and punch in your e-mail address. Such a deal!

johnnYYac

a tweet from Questlove of The Roots:

"ok. now this job is payin off in spades jim just hit me off w/ "holding on to black metal" by (new @mymorningjacket) lovin this."
3:07 PM Mar 3rd via web

I was wondering why he was thankin' the boys.

BH

With regards to April 12th, I think you could interpret (Or missinterpret) the mmj/T5 verbage as a release date. 

And Questlove makes me think that Black Metal is going to be our Steam/Dondante/Touch Me of Circuital. 

I think it finally hit me tonight that a new mmJ ALBUM is only just moments away......ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh summmer 2011...... :o
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

johnnYYac

Quote from: BH on Mar 04, 2011, 11:54 PM
With regards to April 12th, I think you could interpret (Or missinterpret) the mmj/T5 verbage as a release date. 

And Questlove makes me think that Black Metal is going to be our Steam/Dondante/Touch Me of Circuital. 

I think it finally hit me tonight that a new mmJ ALBUM is only just moments away......ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh summmer 2011...... :o
Creepy, BH.  I was just thinking and about to post the same thought, with no one around tonight, and BOOM, you beat me to it.  Clearly, it was a misinterpretation of the release of the download from Circuital on April 12, though it is the only Tuesday of the download dates, and album releases are on Tuesdays.   Nonetheless, I think the most realistic statement thus far on release date is from the L'ville blog for "late May".  I guess I got "carried away."

PS- I'm falling in love with your Jim James Top 40 three-disc comp all over again.  I especially liked hearing Butch Cassidy after all of the recent excitement over our first taste of T5 soundboard gold.  Where was the JJ T40 version from?

BH

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 04, 2011, 11:59 PM

Creepy, BH.  I was just thinking and about to post the same thought, with no one around tonight, and BOOM, you beat me to it.  Clearly, it was a misinterpretation of the release of the download from Circuital on April 12, though it is the only Tuesday of the download dates, and album releases are on Tuesdays.   Nonetheless, I think the most realistic statement thus far on release date is from the L'ville blog for "late May".  I guess I got "carried away."

PS- I'm falling in love with your Jim James Top 40 three-disc comp all over again.  I especially liked hearing Butch Cassidy after all of the recent excitement over our first taste of T5 soundboard gold.  Where was the JJ T40 version from?

You never know it may come in april!

I think that version was from Camden Waterfront.   The storm?
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

capt. scotty

Quote from: BH on Mar 05, 2011, 12:08 AM

Id agree its probably the less interested misspeaking, but I guess we'll find out.

If that statement is true, that would likely mean that the song Circuital would be released on the 12th, as well as the album. When you think about it like that, ehh, Im guessing probably no.

On the other hand, Q? comments have me pumped to hear this Black Metalsong  :bath:
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: BH on Mar 05, 2011, 12:08 AM

I think that version was from Camden Waterfront.   The storm?

That Camden show was actually supposed to be the day before, it got rained out. But not before we drove all the way down there for it.... Then drove home and back down the next day.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

johnnYYac

Ghosts_on_TV

Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...