Main Menu

Kings of Leon 2.0

Started by columba78, Mar 15, 2011, 06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon

Quote from: bold992006 on Mar 17, 2011, 08:39 AM
Quote from: rincon on Mar 17, 2011, 03:18 AM
Quote from: columba78 on Mar 15, 2011, 12:09 PM
I don´t think they are anything like U2, U2 sucks big time and have not made anything decent since "War".

Maybe I like KoL because I have just discovered them now and am completely "unbiased" towards their music and not disappointed of them becoming "sell-outs" .

But it may also have to do with the girl who gave me their music and I am liking their music ´cause of other reasons :)
For any fan of MMJ to say everything U2 did after War sucks makes no sense to me. Steam Engine, quite possibly my all time favorite song, would fit perfectly on side one of The Unforgettable Fire. I would bet Radiohead and MMJ  are fans of that album.

U2 get a lot of crap and some of it is deserved...but the bottom line is they are an awesome rock band.  Gideon is a U2 song...it is a rock anthem the way U2 songs are rock Anthems.  Some of my favorite shows ever have been U2 shows....their Zoo TV tour was incredible as was the Elevation tour.
Until the End of the World on the Zoo TV tour is one of the greatest performances I have ever seen.

CTdeadhead

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 15, 2011, 12:52 PM
Quote from: columba78 on Mar 15, 2011, 12:09 PM
I don´t think they are anything like U2, U2 sucks big time and have not made anything decent since "War".

Not here to argue, but the U2 albums, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, and Achtung Baby are pretty amazing, IMO. Hell, I'll even throw in Zooropa.

Here here.

johnnYYac

I listened to Kings of Leon for the first time this weekend, in my car from an iPod on shuffle, along with Dr. Dog, Drive By Truckers, My Morning Jacket, Arthur Alexander, Pearl Jam, Band of Horses, and a few others.  Stuck out like a sore thumb.  There were brief moments where I could get their popularity, but mostly it was shit.  Maybe it was unfair throwing them into the mix, but I think I'll leave 'em out next time.  Meh. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 22, 2011, 11:39 AM
I listened to Kings of Leon for the first time this weekend, in my car from an iPod on shuffle, along with Dr. Dog, Drive By Truckers, My Morning Jacket, Arthur Alexander, Pearl Jam, Band of Horses, and a few others.  Stuck out like a sore thumb.  There were brief moments where I could get their popularity, but mostly it was shit.  Maybe it was unfair throwing them into the mix, but I think I'll leave 'em out next time.  Meh.

What album(s)?
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

kotchishm

PSA: If you want to come in here to bash them then go ahead and GTFO. There are plenty of other obscure, hella indie band threads to participate in.

New album to be released 9/24 called Mechanical Bull.  They recently played a BBC Session and played four new songs.  I think they are all great.  They also covered a song by Robyn which is awesome

Kings Of Leon cover Robyn's Dancing On My Own

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/09/kings-of-leon-cover-robyns-dancing-on-my-own-its-pretty-great/
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

johnnYYac

Quote from: kotchishm on Sep 13, 2013, 08:27 AM
PSA: If you want to come in here to bash them then go ahead and GTFO. There are plenty of other obscure, hella indie band threads to participate in.
With all due respect, kotchishm, if we're gonna start demanding that threads dedicated to specific bands be free of criticism, does it have to start with these guys?  This entire site is a MMJ forum FULL of criticism of what MMJ wear, eat, smell like, read... oh, and how their latest album was not enough like At Dawn... Why does KoL deserve better?  Seems they have some damage to repair.  Personally, I've chosen to keep them off my radar, as there are lots of other great bands to occupy me.  So, I will "GTFO".

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

kotchishm

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 13, 2013, 10:30 AM
With all due respect, kotchishm, if we're gonna start demanding that threads dedicated to specific bands be free of criticism, does it have to start with these guys?  This entire site is a MMJ forum FULL of criticism of what MMJ wear, eat, smell like, read... oh, and how their latest album was not enough like At Dawn... Why does KoL deserve better?  Seems they have some damage to repair.  Personally, I've chosen to keep them off my radar, as there are lots of other great bands to occupy me.  So, I will "GTFO".

This thread is JUST criticism. 
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

MOWJO8185

I certainly haven't hated KOL's last couple albums like it seems most people on here have... but it seems more people here followed them from the beginning, whereas I discovered their discography all at once. Sometimes I feel like you are more sensitive to a band's changes in style when you follow them from day 1, where if you get into them at a point where they have 4-5 albums out already, you just kind of accept all of that music as part of what that band is. Sure, I have my favorites, but I didn't experience the drastic changes from the first couple albums to the last 3 by following the band throughout their career - I experienced all 5 albums at once, which maybe made me more open to the different sounds.  I was actually the same way with MMJ, when I got into them Evil Urges was already out, so I didn't experience a drastic change from It Still Moves to Z... it just became different sides of the same band to me.

Anyways, I'm pretty excited for the new album.  They aren't the most talented band out there by any means, but I think their music is pretty catchy.  Although for whatever reason, whenever I listen to their song Mi Amigo I get a Phone Went West ripoff vibe... anyone else?  I guess it's just the reggae beat.

capt. scotty

Ive been hearing

all over the place the last couple months. I swear I hear it everytime I get in my car on one of the radio stations I have on my quick 6. Not a bad song, and KOL might be making a comeback, but Im sick of it at this point.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Fully

Since you are enjoying them so much you might like this:

Kings Of Leon will perform on @LiveOnLetterman 9/26 at 9 pm . The performance will be broadcast live online.
Watch here: http://www.cbs.com/shows/liveonletterman/artist/221736/kings-of-leon/

Lunchbox

i loved Come Around Sundown. only album of there's i actually like tbh...

e_wind

Quote from: Lunchbox on Sep 24, 2013, 07:54 AM
i loved Come Around Sundown. only album of there's i actually like tbh...

holy shit. I'm not a fan of anything past their first 2 or 3, but I never thought i'd read this statement. I'm certainly not the authority on KoL albums though, so I guess this doesn't really mean anything
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

e_wind

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 13, 2013, 10:30 AM

I honestly think this forum has a lot less criticism then most music forums I've ever participated in. In a few of the other forums people are just straight up dickheads just to be dickheads.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

TheBigChicken

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 15, 2011, 09:29 AM
Quote from: darkglow on Mar 15, 2011, 06:56 AM
the music they are writing now seems like they're trying to do covers of their old shit.

They didn't write their old shit so technically they are trying to cover their old shit; Angelo Petraglia wrote most of it on the first 2 albums, that's why the first 2 albums were so great; those albums seemed to be written by these harsh and brazen men in their late teens and early twenties, but they were actually written by a guy in his 40's who could never pull off the image at his age. He left them, they began to suck, and they got famous.
also didnt Glyn Johns produce their first album? Im sure that didnt hurt
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Fully

Quote from: TheBigChicken on Sep 24, 2013, 12:42 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 15, 2011, 09:29 AM
Quote from: darkglow on Mar 15, 2011, 06:56 AM
the music they are writing now seems like they're trying to do covers of their old shit.

They didn't write their old shit so technically they are trying to cover their old shit; Angelo Petraglia wrote most of it on the first 2 albums, that's why the first 2 albums were so great; those albums seemed to be written by these harsh and brazen men in their late teens and early twenties, but they were actually written by a guy in his 40's who could never pull off the image at his age. He left them, they began to suck, and they got famous.
also didnt Glyn Johns produce their first album? Im sure that didnt hurt
Ethan Johns produced their first three albums. And Petralgia wrote the first two and some of the third album. Between all of this and the lead singer giving up his distinctive singing style, it's very obvious why the early albums were head and shoulders above the modern rock/Coldplay lite stuff that came after. I'm not including the new album bc I've only heard Super Soaker which could have been on either of the last two albums, but I wasted enough time listening to this band in the 2000's and I'm not planning on giving them any more of my time.

capt. scotty

Now I couldnt have just been in a bad mood because I started listening to the new Kings of Leon album a couple nights ago. Listened to the 2nd half last night, and the rest is just as awful as what I heard last night. Im not big on them, but I do think their first 2 albums are pretty damn good, and the next 2 had their moments as well. I think the single Supersoaker is decent enough despite hearing it too much at this point, and sort of got my hopes up for this album as it sounds more like their earlier albums, but it that song isnt indicative of the sound of the album at all. Im glad they made Supersoaker the first song of the album, because it makes it very easy to literally say the album only gets worse as it goes. Honestly the best thing I can say is that track 7, Family Tree, has a great bass line. Other than that, terrible.

This chorus in the song Comeback Story has me convinced to not even bother with them anymore and left me laughing and shaking my head:

I walk a mile in your shoes
And now Im a mile away
And Ive got your shoes

Bieber probably writes lyrics better than this on a consistent basis
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

FiddleCastro

Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 01, 2013, 03:48 PM

And now Im a mile away
And Ive got your shoes

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

MrWhippy

And now Im a mile away
And Ive got your shoes

I think I've just found my epitaph.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Ruckus

Quote from: FiddleCastro on Oct 01, 2013, 03:51 PM

And now Im a mile away
And Ive got your shoes

Oh man this is great.  I loved the lines when I read them and thought it had potential.  Then I listened to the song
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Fully

Quote from: Ruckus on Oct 02, 2013, 12:44 AM
Quote from: FiddleCastro on Oct 01, 2013, 03:51 PM

And now Im a mile away
And Ive got your shoes

Oh man this is great.  I loved the lines when I read them and thought it had potential.  Then I listened to the song

I had told myself I wasn't going to listen, but then after I read this, I just had to hear it for myself. It actually had the potential to be a good song and then he fucked it up. Despite all his Townes Van Zandt posturing a few years ago, I knew  that he was a terrible lyricist when he tried to rhyme farmer and karma, but is there no one who will tell them the truth when they are working on a record? There should have been someone who said that chorus has to be better. I guess he thinks he's being funny, but it really makes me mad that he screwed up what had the potential to be a very good song. I mean I haven't been able to listen to it because his voice just makes my skin crawl at this point, but dammit, I could have liked the song. The band did a great job. They ought to fire him.