Record Store Day 2011 anyone?

Started by Im The Dude, Apr 12, 2011, 10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghosts_on_TV

I got...

the head and heart
Ryan Adams-class mythology
gram parsons, emmylou Harris/ Jenny and johnny split 7"
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

e_wind

The head and the heart :thumbsup:
I looked at that because I love the band but I couldn't afford more than 150$ worth of MMJ shit
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

ManNamedTruth

David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name
Buffalo Springfield - Retrospective
CSN - S/T

All for $12, they only had used vinyl.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Crispy

Quote from: ophidiophobia on Apr 16, 2011, 01:18 PM
Quote from: Crispy on Apr 13, 2011, 02:35 PM
Hooray for Record Store Day! My shop is Guestroom Records in Oklahoma City. I could barely carry all of the stuff I hauled away from two trips in last year, and this time I'm trying to limit the list I want going in. I'm not much of a picture disk guy, but if I see them it's going to be hard to resist. And I might have to snag those Ozzy records...

OZZY RSD Ambassador
Sorry to burst a bubble, but Guestroom only had one set of the pic discs and I bought all 3. The guys that run the store weren't real happy that I got all 3. I picked up the new Ryan Adams 7" along with the White Stripes 7"s and some more stuff. Stood in line for 2 1/2 hours but it was worth it!

Hey, glad you got 'em man! (I really didn't want to have to buy them ;) )

Hoo boy, RSD got me again, although the only "special" release I got was the Flaming Lips ' Heady Nuggs box. My haul otherwise:
Black Angels -- Passover (finally)
Big Star -- No. 1 Record!
Ray Lamontagne -- Till the Sun Turns Black
My Brightest Diamond -- Bring Me the Workhorse
AIR -- Moon Safari
Little Feat -- Sailin' Shoes
Buffalo Tom -- S/T
BoDeans -- Outside Looking In
Asleep at the Wheel -- Western Standard Time (VG+, signed by Ray, $6  :) )

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

headhunter

Love that Bodeans album and the Ray LaMontagne on vinyl is something special.

The Crosby _ If I Could Only Remember My Name is an all-time favorite.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

YouAre_GivenToFly

Bought the Yim Yames "Tribute To" EP and Wilco's "AM" on vinyl today.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: Crispy on Apr 16, 2011, 07:36 PM
Hooray for Record Store Day! My shop is Guestroom Records in Oklahoma City. I could barely carry all of the stuff I hauled away from two trips in last year, and this time I'm trying to limit the list I want going in. I'm not much of a picture disk guy, but if I see them it's going to be hard to resist. And I might have to snag those Ozzy records...

OZZY RSD Ambassador
Sorry to burst a bubble, but Guestroom only had one set of the pic discs and I bought all 3. The guys that run the store weren't real happy that I got all 3. I picked up the new Ryan Adams 7" along with the White Stripes 7"s and some more stuff. Stood in line for 2 1/2 hours but it was worth it!

Hoo boy, RSD got me again, although the only "special" release I got was the Flaming Lips ' Heady Nuggs box. My haul otherwise:
AIR -- Moon Safari
Buffalo Tom -- S/T

Nice. I wanted that lips set, but it was too much $$$.

Im The Dude

I only got used records today.

Bruce Springsteen - Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.
Bruce Springsteen - The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle
Hunters and Collectors - Human Frailty
Hunters and Collectors - Fate
Pretenders - EP ('81)

Plus, a sealed box of 100 albums that they were giving away at Jerrys Records. I found a few good ones and some not so good but it was free and my money went to a great store.

7/9/03 6/8/04 10/4/08 5/2/10 8/27/10 10/18--10/23/10(T5) 8/10/11 8/12/11

Ruckus

Quote from: Crispy on Apr 16, 2011, 07:36 PM

OZZY RSD Ambassador

AIR -- Moon Safari
Buffalo Tom -- S/T
Nice haul Crispy!  I snagged Heady Nuggs too though I was contemplating the special edition only available through their website.  Glad you got that Black Angels.  I was only familiar with Phosphene Dream til recently when my best buddy started introducing me to their back catalog.  Amazing!  I like most of it better than Phospene.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

vespachick

Quote from: Ghosts_on_T5 on Apr 16, 2011, 03:34 PM
I got...

the head and heart
Ryan Adams-class mythology
gram parsons, emmylou Harris/ Jenny and johnny split 7"
Ha! We got this 7" as well.  That A side kicks me ass.  I would be embarased if were Jenny or Johnny.  Which sucks, because their version is aight.  Just not compared to Emmy & Gram.   :o
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Crispy

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Apr 16, 2011, 09:13 PM

NICE -- AM is my favorite, it brings back those memories.

I would have passed on the Flaming Lips box if I had any of those records already, but amazingly, I didn't. There's a special edition on the website? DAMMIT, colored vinyl! Oh well, I guess I'm okay with the record store getting something out of the deal. MMJ better not do this with the T5 box set...

I got Passover the year it was released, embarrassingly at a Starbucks. But holy shit, it blew me away -- I can't believe it's taken me this long to get the vinyl. Their stuff since is good, but doesn't hit me like the first one. I'm seeing them here, with Sleepy Sun, when all of you lucky bastards will be on the beach with MMJ. Short shrift, but at least it's something.

Wish I had gotten the Emmy and Gram b/w those hipsters...I am a big Jenny Lewis fan, however.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Ruckus

Quote from: Crispy on Apr 17, 2011, 12:02 AM

I would have passed on the Flaming Lips box if I had any of those records already, but amazingly, I didn't. There's a special edition on the website? DAMMIT, colored vinyl! Oh well, I guess I'm okay with the record store getting something out of the deal. MMJ better not do this with the T5 box set...

I got Passover the year it was released, embarrassingly at a Starbucks. But holy shit, it blew me away -- I can't believe it's taken me this long to get the vinyl. Their stuff since is good, but doesn't hit me like the first one. I'm seeing them here, with Sleepy Sun, when all of you lucky bastards will be on the beach with MMJ. Short shrift, but at least it's something.

Wish I had gotten the Emmy and Gram b/w those hipsters...I am a big Jenny Lewis fan, however.
Constant Stream of Holy Fuck!  Don't tell anyone else but I'd rather see Sleepy Sun open for the Angels in a small club anyday! :D
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Crispy

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 17, 2011, 12:14 AM

Constant Stream of Holy Fuck!  Don't tell anyone else but I'd rather see Sleepy Sun open for the Angels in a small club anyday! :D

:o Bite your tongue, sir! (I feel the same way about festivals, btw)  ::)

I am truly looking forward to that show in a BIG way, I've been wanting to see both for a long time. Only trouble is that apparently the chick in Sleepy Sun is no longer with them. I has a sad about that, she kicks ass on those records.

BH

Quote from: Crispy on Apr 17, 2011, 12:22 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 17, 2011, 12:14 AM

:o Bite your tongue, sir! (I feel the same way about festivals, btw)  ::)

I am truly looking forward to that show in a BIG way, I've been wanting to see both for a long time. Only trouble is that apparently the chick in Sleepy Sun is no longer with them. I has a sad about that, she kicks ass on those records.

I'm gonna see the Black Angels on Friday.  Great to hear the other albums are good.  I love Phosphene Dream but have not heard anything else.   

Hope to see Sleepy Sun at LouFest.  No female singer?  That sucks.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ALady

Oh hi, I'm seeing that Black Angels/Sleepy Sun bill tomorrow.  Nice taste, y'all   :thumbsup:

I started RSD'ing around 1am last night, post-show. Didn't get any official RSD stuff but got the new White Mystery record and the new Numero compilation Pressed at Boddie a little early.  Also got a Woodsman record and Willie Nelson's Always On My Mind which it turns out I already own :P  Oh, and a sweet goodie bag with a Daptone sampler and a frisbee.

In the morning I hit two stores but didn't really find what I wanted, so I just got the Vanguard psychedelic compilation and the Dennis Coffey 7" (which the store owner threw in for free 'cause he likes me).  ;)

Overall I'm pleased, I guess. 

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

e_wind

Ear-X-Tacy posted this:

"A HUGE congratulations to our dear customer, Mike Creamer, for being 1 out of 5 people WORLDWIDE to score the coveted Big Star original test pressing (which is 36 years old) contained in his Record Store Day purchase of Big Star's "Third" boxset today in the shop! Yes, we said 1 of 5 worldwide was right here at ear X-tacy!!!"
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Jaimoe

I still buy CDs (and new vinyl) and do so at indie record stores, so this day is just another day for me - but it is a good idea.

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: Jaimoe on Apr 18, 2011, 11:30 AM
I still buy CDs (and new vinyl) and do so at indie record stores, so this day is just another day for me - but it is a good idea.

As do I. It was nice to have a band lineup (and free tacos!  ;D) At my local store. The exclusive shit is cool too.

johnnYYac

Same here.  In fact, I stopped by a place in Mass. on my way home from visiting my Dad, thinking "hey, its Record Store Day!  Let's see what they've got."  Turned out they don't participate 'cause they only sell used vinyl, CDs, books, etc.  Place is called Rabbit Hole.

I scored some interesting discs for $46, all in excellent shape:

Bright Eyes- A Collection of Songs '95-'97
Better Than Ezra- Deluxe
Sugar- Besides
Bob Dylan- Tell Tale Signs, Bootleg Series Vol. 8
Beck- The Information
Blues Traveler- Straight On Till Morning
Blues Traveler- self-titled debut

I guess I spent most of my time in the B section, huh?   ;D
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 18, 2011, 09:11 PM
Same here.  In fact, I stopped by a place in Mass. on my way home from visiting my Dad, thinking "hey, its Record Store Day!  Let's see what they've got."  Turned out they don't participate 'cause they only sell used vinyl, CDs, books, etc.  Place is called Rabbit Hole.

I scored some interesting discs for $46, all in excellent shape:

Bright Eyes- A Collection of Songs '95-'97
Better Than Ezra- Deluxe
Sugar- Besides
Bob Dylan- Tell Tale Signs, Bootleg Series Vol. 8
Beck- The Information
Blues Traveler- Straight On Till Morning
Blues Traveler- self-titled debut

I guess I spent most of my time in the B section, huh?   ;D

Don't get your hopes too high for the bright eyes, its pretty meh. It has its bright (see what I did there?) spots. Better than most 15 year olds write though. Falling out of love at this volume (which he still plays live), Feb. 15th, and a celebration upon completion are highlights off hand.