Main Menu

White Denim

Started by Paulie_Walnuts, Apr 12, 2011, 10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjk73

Quote from: Ruckus on Jun 01, 2011, 02:33 PM
For sure my favorite album so far this year as well.  I just can't believe how they seamlessly blend seemingly disparate styles into a coherent, flowing album.  Truly a big step up from their last album.

I'm saddened though because I thought this would be a great year for music but this is my first album that I really  respect unlike some of my other favorites such as BJoe Lewis who I find to be real fun and that's it.

Around this time last year, I was listening to Futurebirds, Delta Spirit, JRoddy, Phosphorescent, Tallest Man on Earth, Kylesa and Dr. Dog among others.  I really hope the 2nd half is brighter this year.
I can send you a copy of Anna Calvi. Shit is great. She will send up on your list.

jones

Ahem.... Mind if I pop in here for a minute?  I dig what I have heard on Myspace/iTunes previews (about 5 minutes ago being the first).  Which way do I steer?

Ruckus

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

bold992006

Quote from: Ruckus on Jun 03, 2011, 12:59 AM
Quote from: Paulie_Walnuts on May 31, 2011, 05:33 AM
Some of the new stuff live:

White Denim 'Street Joy' live at The Ghost Room

White Denim 'At The Farm' live at The Ghost Room

White Denim 'It's Him' live at The Ghost Room
All three of these vids are amazing!  BUT, that At the Farm gets me extra chubby

I agree...that jam is like if Phish decided to do tighter jams with purpose...and less noodle.  It kicks ass.

capt. scotty

Quote from: Ruckus on Jun 01, 2011, 02:33 PM
Around this time last year, I was listening to Futurebirds, Delta Spirit, JRoddy, Phosphorescent, Tallest Man on Earth, Kylesa and Dr. Dog among others.  I really hope the 2nd half is brighter this year.

Same. This year has been underwhelming regardless, but I also thought last year was the best year for new music in a loooong time.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Paulie_Walnuts

Quote from: jones on Jun 02, 2011, 09:14 PM
Ahem.... Mind if I pop in here for a minute?  I dig what I have heard on Myspace/iTunes previews (about 5 minutes ago being the first).  Which way do I steer?

Well the new album 'D' is the one we're all talking about, and it definitely sounds on first listen like their best.

I also really liked Fits (the previous one), and Work Out Holiday. The sound has definitely changed over the albums. Work Out Holiday is very "garagey" and you can imagine students going crazy at the front of the stage, Fits jumps around between styles more and is more melodic (check out the song Regina Holding Hands) but still has some tracks of the older sound.

They were always a 3-piece but they've added another guitarist on 'D' and this seems to be the one where it is all coming together superbly. I agree with others that on first listen it's my album of the year so far as well.
Paulie W

Ruckus

I agree completely of your assessment of adding the 2nd guitarist Paulie.  Though I have yet to see them and can't personally attest to their live show, the above posted videos reveal as much.  Nothing like two talented dueling guitars.  From Lay Low to some of my favorite bands right now such as Baroness and Scale the Summit, some stuff just rocks when you have two uber talented guitarists working off each other.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Paulie_Walnuts

Check out this mixtape that White Denim put together for the Gorilla vs Bear website. It's given me a whole heap of music to investigate further:

Jeff Simmons – Cop Out
Happy End – Haikara Hakuchi 01:10
Lee Hazlewood – I've Got To Be Movin' 04:05
Triangle – Les Contes Du Vieil Homme (excerpt) 05:35
Head, Hands, and Feet – Safety In Numbers 05:55
Wendy and Bonnie – You Keep Hanging On To My Mind 09:18
George Duke – Searchin' 4 My Mind 12:04
Crazy Horse – Dirty, Dirty 13:48
Moby Grape – Road To The Sun (excerpt) 15:39
Patto – See You At The Dance 16:32
Emmylou Harris – Luxury Liner 18:54
Ann Steel and Roberto Cacciapaglia – My Time 22:27
Monique Gaube – Avec Amour (édit) 24:45
Jeff Simmons – Madame Du Barry 26:12
Heads, Hands, and Feet – Let's Get This Show On The Road (excerpt) 28:17
Jim Ford – Long Road Ahead (excerpt) 29:08
Connections 30:12
Alessandro Alessandroni – Aliante Giallo 31:52
Amon Duul II 33:08
Hank Williams Jr – Family Tradition (excerpt) 35:12
Little Feat – Easy To Slip 36:50
Billy Joe Shaver – Black Rose 38:55
A. More – Judy Get Down 41:09
Triangle – Blow Your Cool 42:56
Ernesto Djedje – Pieli 44:48
Eddie Callahan – Santa Cruz Mountains 48:27
Roberto Cacciapaglia – Sei Note In Logica (excerpt) 51:42

http://www.gorillavsbear.net/2011/03/28/mp3-white-denim-mixtape/

And this is White Denim's cover version of Hard Stuff's song Jay Time. I'm buying the Hard Stuff album Bulletproof on the strength of it!

http://www.gorillavsbear.net/2011/05/06/mp3-white-denim-jay-time-hard-stuff-cover/
Paulie W

jonmayo15

Holdin' on to White Denim......WHITE DENIMMMM!!!

I'm sorry, it worked.

Paulie_Walnuts

White Denim are back in London on Thursday 1st September, playing the Electric Ballroom in Camden.
Paulie W

MarkW

Just bought tickets to see them in Liverpool on 31 August.  Been listening to D a lot over the past week or so since it arrived.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

mjk73

Damn, missing them as there are here Tuesday opening for Yuck (who is bad ass also). Can't go as I'm out of town a couple days after that.

MarkW

Quote from: mjk73 on Sep 29, 2011, 09:16 PM
Damn, missing them as there are here Tuesday opening for Yuck (who is bad ass also). Can't go as I'm out of town a couple days after that.

White Denim / Yuck
would be a fucking awesome evening of music...
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

mjk73

Quote from: MarkW on Sep 30, 2011, 05:07 AM
Quote from: mjk73 on Sep 29, 2011, 09:16 PM

White Denim / Yuck
would be a fucking awesome evening of music...
And tickets are only $12. Plus it's on the same night at Arctic Monkeys with the Smith Westerns. I need a clone or 2.

Paulie_Walnuts

White Denim over Arctic Monkeys all day long!
Paulie W

capt. scotty

New album October 29th. Here's the new single. Me dig.  :bath:

http://youtu.be/1vIP45MK0Og
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

EverythingChanges

Quote from: capt. scotty on Aug 07, 2013, 03:52 PM
New album October 29th. Here's the new single. Me dig.  :bath:

http://youtu.be/1vIP45MK0Og

October is the month for albums jeesh.  That's at least 3 records I want to get on release day within a week or two of each other.  Arcade Fire, Dr. Dog, and now this! So excited! Glad my birthday lines up nicely with all of that sexy music.  :grin:
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Paulie_Walnuts

Oh yesss!!! The new White Denim album has prompted me to come back to this forum. Can't wait for this....especially with some little snippets like these:

White Denim - The Austin Sessions, Part 1

The Austin Sessions: Part 2

White Denim - Corsicana Lemonade

Mixing Today! Josh is Excited!

Mixing The Record: Complete!
Paulie W

capt. scotty

Quote from: Paulie_Walnuts on Aug 08, 2013, 05:09 AM

White Denim - Corsicana Lemonade

Holy fuck is that riff ever nasty. This was not an album I was expecting in the near future, but now that I know its on the horizon, its certainly one of my most anticipated.

Northern Neighbour

I'm with Scotty.  The sound is definitely a bit of departure from their previous efforts, but nothing wrong with that.