A machine to play Vinyl

Started by firesofcanning, Apr 14, 2011, 11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firesofcanning

So...anyone else have to buy a record player now that they've purchased the deluxe vinyl package of Circuital?

I know I do. I could probably get an old one from my parents, but I'll probably go out and buy a new one :)

I'm excited about it.
[url="//twitter.com/firesofcanning"]twitter.com/firesofcanning[/url]

headhunter

Quote from: firesofcanning on Apr 14, 2011, 11:04 AM
So...anyone else have to buy a record player now that they've purchased the deluxe vinyl package of Circuital?

I know I do. I could probably get an old one from my parents, but I'll probably go out and buy a new one :)

I'm excited about it.

As well you should be.  Those who listen to MMJ (and other music) on Vinyl usually find that this is the best way to really listen to the music.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

kotchishm

I've got this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-PL-990-2-Speed-Automatic-Turntable/dp/B00009QORL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302796910&sr=8-1

It's a nice beginners table especially for the price and it's automatic.  Got it because it has the RC auxillary outputs to connect to a receiver or mini system.
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Ruckus

Quote from: headhunter on Apr 14, 2011, 11:56 AM

I'm excited about it.

As well you should be.  Those who listen to MMJ (and other music) on Vinyl usually find that this is the best way to really listen to the music.
Is this your company headhunter? ;) ;D
http://www.urpressing.com/index.php/

One day I'd like to upgrade to an audiophile's dream setup like the one I hear you have Jeff.  For now I got a solid sounding budget system with an Audio Technica TT, Onkyo receiver and Sony floor standing speakers. 
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

headhunter

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 14, 2011, 12:08 PM
Quote from: headhunter on Apr 14, 2011, 11:56 AM

I'm excited about it.

Is this your company headhunter? ;) ;D
http://www.urpressing.com/index.php/

One day I'd like to upgrade to an audiophile's dream setup like the one I hear you have Jeff.  For now I got a solid sounding budget system with an Audio Technica TT, Onkyo receiver and Sony floor standing speakers.

;D   If you ever make it up to Long Island, it will be a pleasure to have a nice vinyl listening party with you.  We can talk about our fond law school memories.   ???
was some shakin' and some record playin'

vespachick

I already had a cheap Ion turntable, but I got this one recently for my birfday.  It's a Music Hall MMF 2.2. The dudes at the shop said it's the entry level to true audiophile listening and you can't get close to the quality without spending a couple thousand.  You can pick one up for $400 or so.  It's saaaaweeeeeeet listening for the budget minded!!!
http://www.musichallaudio.com/detail.php?p=3
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

firesofcanning

So...as a long time music lover and listener, but one who didn't grow up in the age of vinyl, what's so good/so much better about listening to music on vinyl.

I think I'm bought in just because it seems to be what people who like music as much as I do listen to...but can anyone educate me?

I feel like I will buy vinyl going forward, but I will probably only do that for bands/albums that I LOVE as opposed to all the music I consume.

Randall

I found my turntable in a dumpster.  Sony PS-T15.  Works for me and the price was right!

slappymoe

Quote from: firesofcanning on Apr 14, 2011, 01:10 PM
So...as a long time music lover and listener, but one who didn't grow up in the age of vinyl, what's so good/so much better about listening to music on vinyl.

I think I'm bought in just because it seems to be what people who like music as much as I do listen to...but can anyone educate me?

I feel like I will buy vinyl going forward, but I will probably only do that for bands/albums that I LOVE as opposed to all the music I consume.
people romanticize, talk about a warmth, a richness of sound, how album artwork was better with a larger canvas, whatever...i don't really get it, etiher.   vinyl to me means scratches, hisses, pops, and the sound of a needle passing through a groove.

having said that, in my computer room i still have my trusty 30 year old technics direct drive slq-200 turntable with a fairly new cartridge hooked up to my 33 year old pioneer sx-650 receiver with 33 year old (twice refurbished) pioneer hpm-40 speakers, so as soon as it arrives i'm ready to spin the black circle. :thumbsup:   

Ruckus

Quote from: slappymoe on Apr 14, 2011, 02:34 PM

people romanticize, talk about a warmth, a richness of sound, how album artwork was better with a larger canvas, whatever...i don't really get it, etiher.   vinyl to me means scratches, hisses, pops, and the sound of a needle passing through a groove.

having said that, in my computer room i still have my trusty 30 year old technics direct drive slq-200 turntable with a fairly new cartridge hooked up to my 33 year old pioneer sx-650 receiver with 33 year old (twice refurbished) pioneer hpm-40 speakers, so as soon as it arrives i'm ready to spin the black circle. :thumbsup:   
It's hard to pinpoint one thing that makes vinyl so attractive to me.  It all started for me when I became a jazz junkie back in undergrad and I started collecting jazz on vinyl.  I became hooked.  The joy of spending hours in used record stores, enjoying the artwork on a much larger scale, and having something so physically impressive were all drawing points.  It is also the 'romanticism' involved with appreciating an album as a whole instead of making playlists and skipping tracks.

There's something about dropping a needle on the record, having a few drinks and reading the liner notes and admiring the album cover lying on the couch that popping an mp3 player into a bose speaker dock can never replicate.

With that all said, if you plan on moving a lot in your near future, vinyl can become rather cumbersome just by the space it consumes and the weight of your ever growing collection.

EDIT:  I should also add that it is the only medium that continues to see annual increases in sales providing revenue for artists (particularly smaller ones) and a means of sustenance for small record stores everywhere.  I know big box stores are eying this trend closely where they may delve into the market when the profit incentive makes sense to them.  I'd like to think that those that prefer their vinyl would continue to avoid that option when it becomes available.

One of my favorite album covers from one of my favorite albums of all time 8)

subinai

i have a technics 1200 from the days when i really wanted to be the next dj q-bert.

Crispy

I get what you're saying about the noise, slappy, and I can sympathize having used a  similar setup to your Pioneer system in the 80s and 90s (same Technics TT!). However, the difference to me can be heard at VOLUME, and especially with higher quality equipment (not that I have anything special now). When I play digital music, even from CDs, I hear distortion at high levels that I do not hear when listening to records, but of course that could go back to the quality of my digital equipment. That said, the romanticism and nostalgia and art factor in a big way for me too.

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Ruckus

Quote from: subinai on Apr 14, 2011, 02:51 PM
i have a technics 1200 from the days when i really wanted to be the next dj q-bert.
I love me some Qbert.  I had a fungus infused chocolate bar experience seeing Qbert about 9 years ago that just blew my mind! :o

oistheone

There really isn't a way to sell people on the vinyl movement without unleashing a flurry of cliches. The best way to see if vinyl is for you is to just find someone with a turntable and a decent amp and speakers, get them to toss on an album, and crank it. This is what sold me on vinyl. If, like me, you notice the difference, then vinyl is for you!

markcel

I also need to make a purchase.  It will be fun enough explaining the $120 purchase for the albums and fan clubto my wife , but then also explaining it means I also need a player, now that will be a conversation.

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: markcel on Apr 14, 2011, 03:03 PM
I also need to make a purchase.  It will be fun enough explaining the $120 purchase for the albums and fan clubto my wife , but then also explaining it means I also need a player, now that will be a conversation.

You could get a decent one for $100. It's not going to be some crazy audiophile player, but it'll do the job and sound decent.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

vespachick

When Paul Weller's eponymous CD came out (whoa, back in 1992) one of the tracks ends (cosmos?) with like 10 minutes of nothing but the sound of an LP stuck in the groove like it would it the arm weren't automatic, just crackling and making "that sound".  Then all of a sudden there's like 15 more seconds of the song to rock out to.  It's awesome.  But the point is, the Modfather gets it. :thumbsup:
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Bigsky

subinai

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 14, 2011, 02:57 PM
Quote from: subinai on Apr 14, 2011, 02:51 PM
I love me some Qbert.  I had a fungus infused chocolate bar experience seeing Qbert about 9 years ago that just blew my mind! :o

hahaha was that the skratch: the movie tour? i went to one of those shows.

firesofcanning

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 14, 2011, 02:50 PM

It's hard to pinpoint one thing that makes vinyl so attractive to me.  It all started for me when I became a jazz junkie back in undergrad and I started collecting jazz on vinyl.  I became hooked.  The joy of spending hours in used record stores, enjoying the artwork on a much larger scale, and having something so physically impressive were all drawing points.  It is also the 'romanticism' involved with appreciating an album as a whole instead of making playlists and skipping tracks.

There's something about dropping a needle on the record, having a few drinks and reading the liner notes and admiring the album cover lying on the couch that popping an mp3 player into a bose speaker dock can never replicate.

With that all said, if you plan on moving a lot in your near future, vinyl can become rather cumbersome just by the space it consumes and the weight of your ever growing collection.

EDIT:  I should also add that it is the only medium that continues to see annual increases in sales providing revenue for artists (particularly smaller ones) and a means of sustenance for small record stores everywhere.  I know big box stores are eying this trend closely where they may delve into the market when the profit incentive makes sense to them.  I'd like to think that those that prefer their vinyl would continue to avoid that option when it becomes available.

One of my favorite album covers from one of my favorite albums of all time 8)

I think your last point is really the one that has me delving into Vinyl now. Since joining my band (The Fires Of - www.myspace.com/thefiresof - I'm not above a shameless self-plug! hehe) and getting way more into the indie scene in Toronto, everyone seems to be obsessed with Vinyl. And everyone's got their album on Vinyl as well as CD. We only got CDs made up for our debut, but I'm thinking our next EP should probably have a Vinyl release as well... Either way, I'm excited to dive into Vinyl, and to start that with Circuital...did I mention that before!? :)