Started by jOOlZ, Apr 21, 2011, 02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scosby2

Quote from: e_wind on Apr 22, 2011, 11:42 AM
Quote from: rmpotsy on Apr 22, 2011, 11:22 AM
Quote from: e_wind on Apr 22, 2011, 11:13 AM
Quote from: jOOlZ on Apr 22, 2011, 11:00 AM
Thank you, good tips! 

What's wrong with 4th street live, is it a club?

JUST DONT GO THERE. PROMISE ME YOU'LL NEVER GO THERE

this man speaks the truth.  its an open air collection of chain bars, restaurants, and bad clubs that in no way reflects the true spirit of the ville.  in idea it is awesome, in execution it is effin horrible.  it is very close to your hotel and people will try to get you to go there.  resist the evil urge.

no lie. and the people that actually go there on the weekends are terrible. I'm glad it exists because it pulls all these terrible people there that would otherwise be on Bardstown Road.
we got suckered into going up there the night before the waterfront show in 08. being from outta town it looked pretty cool but as soon as we stepped foot past where you get your wristband i knew we had made a huge mistake...we ended up staying 5 minutes

kentuckymike

Actually the farm is open to visitors who want to buy produce, flowers and such... and even has a barn you can rent out for parties or receptions (my wife and I had our wedding reception there) so there would be no problem visiting. Gallrein farms even has a website on the internet. I am not totally sure that this is where the vocals were recorded, but with the liner note shoutout to the Gallrein family and the known band connection to Shelbyville... it is quite probable.

ALady

Oh lord, I see a spate of Jacket-themed weddings on the horizon...   ;D
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

rmpotsy

Quote from: ALady on Apr 22, 2011, 04:10 PM
Oh lord, I see a spate of Jacket-themed weddings on the horizon...   ;D

too bad i screwed up and got married somewhere else a few years back.  maybe we will renew our vows there.    :thumbsup:
out go the lights it begins

jOOlZ

Well I see from their site that they're hosting an 'open house' tomorrow...

http://gallreinfarms.com/blog/

trav

wondering, and too odd not to ask, is this "jools" as in "jools holland"?

trav

To answer with my personal tip, I'd say you can't go wrong with what other people already mentioned. Check out Bardstown road/baxter avenue. I feel that is the heart and soul of louisville and represents so many different types of people here. The further out you go is fine but doesnt really show you what louisville is about in a quick view. Jim James grew up in hikes point, but agian, not really much to see. Normal neighborhoods here (where i live as well) and not much to go see.

If you want some good restraurants, you could check out "louisville originals". Easy website is "www.louisvilleoriginals.com". 91.9 wfpk fm radio station is the best station to listen too to here music that is completely away from the "pop" scene and when someone is playing here, they are the ones that will tell you. As said lots before, 4th street live is clubs for a lot of 21 year olds, and some a few older, but really, no more no less.

Churchill downs and Keeneland are great to check out and if you're in lexington, just drive down and around "Iron Works pike" or since you have no car, you can even bike ride it. it is really neet and has a lot of old heritage and you will see the old horse farms that have been there for years and years and the appearance and noticeable ties to Irish heritage are amazing. You can see the history and where that place came from.

So, hope i helped out a little bit, and not too late. SOme may disagree with good places around here but thats all a matter of opinion. Hope you enjoy your stay!

trav

OH!!! And a great place to eat in lexington if you want bbq is jj mcbrewsters. "www.jjmcbrewsters.com". Its great, and if you want good meals with a country, kentucky touch, Ramseys in lexington is a great spot as well. The Kentucky hot brown is highly regarded there.

jOOlZ

Ha ha, thanks Trav! No, I'm not THAT Jools, but was inspired by him to spell it that way, instead of the more conventional 'Jules.'

Gotta say I really loved Kentucky, sadly didn't get to Bardstown Rd as was on a tighter itinerary than I imagined, but went to the Monkey Wrench, Slugger Fcatory, Ali Centre, Lynne's Paradise Cafe, Bluegrass Brewery Co, Bourbon Bistro, Holly Hill Inn (serious southern style fine dining), several bourbon distilleries, Moonlite bbq in Owensboro, Keeneland, Churchill Downs and Rolex of course. Oh and Rosine, the home of bluegrass and Bill Monroe, AMAZING PLACE, like going back in time 60 years - a true slice of Americana for a simple Brit boy like me!   :D

Yes, think we drove along that road. Some beautiful areas around Lexington... We only had one free night n Lex so ended up at Cheapside, quite a lively joint.

Wow, just typing all this makes me SO hungry to get back soon! And wish I could catch their hometown show on the 31st. I need to do my MMJ pilgrimage properly next time now I've done the whistelstop stuff.  ::)

Caseydog

I convinced my wife that Louisville would be a great place for a road trip two summers ago.  MMJ happened to be in town while we were there. ;)

We loved the city.  Ate at Ramsi's, which was great.  Toast was excellent for breakfast.  Stayed at the Galt House.  Not bad, but not great.  Some parts of the hotel (the side with the pool were bordering on dingy.

Make sure to hit he zoo!

Caseydog

Quote from: Caseydog on May 02, 2011, 03:46 PM
I convinced my wife that Louisville would be a great place for a road trip two summers ago.  MMJ happened to be in town while we were there. ;)

We loved the city.  Ate at Ramsi's, which was great.  Toast was excellent for breakfast.  Stayed at the Galt House.  Not bad, but not great.  Some parts of the hotel (the side with the pool were bordering on dingy.

Make sure to hit he zoo!

OOPS
Probably should have read your last post that you've already made your trip. :thumbsup:

DejaView2011

We're heading into Louisville from Virginia the day before the show, staying at the Hyatt Regency and would Love to meet some other Jacket fans to chill with, Strum some guitar, sing some songs, Drink of the wine, partake of the vine and talk MMJ with other fans. Laid back people here just looking for some other good folks to share this magical experience with. Hit me us with a message!  John & Cody
Why does my mind blow to bits everytime they play that song?