Main Menu

Heavy Metal!!

Started by Ruckus, Apr 22, 2011, 09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrWhippy

Quote from: manonthemoon on Sep 01, 2013, 08:13 PM
Pallbearer is hitting the road again with St. Vitis and they have a Baltimore date.  Plus they tweeted out that people should be ready for some new songs at these shows.

I'd love to see Pallbearer again, but I really, really dislike St. Vitus.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

manonthemoon

Quote from: MrWhippy on Sep 01, 2013, 10:29 PM
Quote from: manonthemoon on Sep 01, 2013, 08:13 PM
Pallbearer is hitting the road again with St. Vitis and they have a Baltimore date.  Plus they tweeted out that people should be ready for some new songs at these shows.

I'd love to see Pallbearer again, but I really, really dislike St. Vitus.

I think I remember you saying at MDF that you never really cared for any of Wino's bands.  I am probably going to make it to this show and wouldn't mind heading out after Pallbearer as I have never been that big a fan of Wino's stuff either.
Alive or Just Breathing

Biggdiz6

MrWhippy

Fully

Whippy took me to my first real metal show last night at Hopscotch Fest. I liked it more than I thought I would. I would definitely go again, although I have to say that Whippy helped with all his knowledge of what we watched. We saw Inter Arma, Evoken, and Sleep. I enjoyed the first two enough that I would go to another show. Sleep, however, blew me away!! It was just fucking awesome! Granted I've listened to them some before and thanks to Ruckus, I've been interested in Om-Al Cisneros' band. It was interesting to see how different what he does with Sleep although there is a little overlap. He does stuff with a bass that I've not seen before.

Ruckus

Quote from: Fully on Sep 08, 2013, 11:54 AM
Whippy took me to my first real metal show last night at Hopscotch Fest. I liked it more than I thought I would. I would definitely go again, although I have to say that Whippy helped with all his knowledge of what we watched. We saw Inter Arma, Evoken, and Sleep. I enjoyed the first two enough that I would go to another show. Sleep, however, blew me away!! It was just fucking awesome! Granted I've listened to them some before and thanks to Ruckus, I've been interested in Om-Al Cisneros' band. It was interesting to see how different what he does with Sleep although there is a little overlap. He does stuff with a bass that I've not seen before.
Awesome!  Metal professor Whippy is my favorite teacher. 
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

MrWhippy

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 08, 2013, 02:21 PM

Aw, thanks you guys.  Getting all choked up at the moment reading this.

Was great to get some Fully time last night, and to see some great music together in Raleigh.  For me, though, The Breeders were just north of meh, but they were not the main draw at all.  The stuff we really came for (Spiritualized plus the metal bands) were great

manonthemoon

Quote from: MrWhippy on Sep 08, 2013, 04:49 PM

Was great to get some Fully time last night, and to see some great music together in Raleigh.  For me, though, The Breeders were just north of meh, but they were not the main draw at all.  The stuff we really came for (Spiritualized plus the metal bands) were great

Glad to hear you guys enjoyed yourselves and that Sleep killed it, wish I could of made it down for it. 
Alive or Just Breathing

Fully

Quote from: manonthemoon on Sep 08, 2013, 08:53 PM
Quote from: MrWhippy on Sep 08, 2013, 04:49 PM

Glad to hear you guys enjoyed yourselves and that Sleep killed it, wish I could of made it down for it.

Would have loved to have seen you, Bret. I may see you at a metal show in the future. Whippy, my dark overlord, still has much more to show me about this world of music. Plus there was the funniest guy beside us who got his hair caught in his tiny battery operated fan that he graciously shared with us before he started RAWR-ing along to the music. He was an excellent at the rawr, but I started getting really anxious that he was going to fall off the balcony because he kept leaning over it so far. I really enjoyed watching the crowd. It was awesome even though I was really sleepy and napped a little during Inter Arma and Evoken. I hadn't slept much this week and 24 hrs straight awake don't make me completely concious.

manonthemoon

I see Pelican is dropping a new album next month through relapse.  Might have to check that one out.

Also got a few shows comming up that I might hit up with Black Tusk and Inter Arma doing Baltimore, Orange Goblin playing Empire in Springfield, and Royal Thunder hitting the road as well. 
Alive or Just Breathing

MrWhippy

Quote from: manonthemoon on Sep 10, 2013, 09:19 PM
I see Pelican is dropping a new album next month through relapse.  Might have to check that one out.

Also got a few shows comming up that I might hit up with Black Tusk and Inter Arma doing Baltimore, Orange Goblin playing Empire in Springfield, and Royal Thunder hitting the road as well.

Pelican was great at MDF this year, as Ruckus can also attest to.

Some really good metal tours this fall including a couple great pairings, such as Inter Arma and Black Tusk as you mentioned.  Another great pairing is High on Fire with Kvelertak, who are on the road in November (with a DC date on 11/12 for us DC area metal heads).

manonthemoon

Quote from: MrWhippy on Sep 11, 2013, 05:31 PM
Quote from: manonthemoon on Sep 10, 2013, 09:19 PM

Pelican was great at MDF this year, as Ruckus can also attest to.

Some really good metal tours this fall including a couple great pairings, such as Inter Arma and Black Tusk as you mentioned.  Another great pairing is High on Fire with Kvelertak, who are on the road in November (with a DC date on 11/12 for us DC area metal heads).

That's another good one, glad its starting to pick back up as there was kind of a lull of good metal this summer after MDF.
Alive or Just Breathing

Tired Eyes

I want to recommend a relatively new metal magazine from the UK called Iron Fist.  I just picked up issue 6 yesterday.  It was started by Louise Brown who used to run Terrorizer
http://www.ironfistmag.com

I saw that Amon Amarth will be touring the U.S. this winter with Enslaved and Skeletonwitch in support.  That is a good bill and I hope to make it to a show.

Jeff Murray

This video is just amazing!  These kids do an amazing job on a song that is not very easy... kudos to the music teacher!  Another reason we cannot allow the arts to be taken out of schools... even if this seems to have been done in a private school...

46 and 2 by Tool / Presented by Aaron O'Keefe
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

MrWhippy

Quote from: Jeff Murray on Sep 22, 2013, 01:05 PM
This video is just amazing!  These kids do an amazing job on a song that is not very easy... kudos to the music teacher!  Another reason we cannot allow the arts to be taken out of schools... even if this seems to have been done in a private school...

46 and 2 by Tool / Presented by Aaron O'Keefe

Wow.  Thanks for posting that.  They did a really fantastic job.  Really liked the vocals on it for one.

MrWhippy

I'm not much of a Gwar fan, but this video of them covering "Get Out of My Dreams, Get Into My Car" is pretty great, particularly the mash-up they do with Baba O'Rielly at the end of it.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/gwar-covers-billy-ocean,93870/?mobile=true

manonthemoon

http://pitchfork.com/advance/250-whales-and-leeches/

Red Fang is streaming the new album on Pitchfork if anyone is interested
Alive or Just Breathing

buaawwww

Quote from: manonthemoon on Oct 08, 2013, 09:27 PM
http://pitchfork.com/advance/250-whales-and-leeches/

Red Fang is streaming the new album on Pitchfork if anyone is interested

Absolutely... awesome!!!!!!!!

MrWhippy

Anyone else seeing Slayer on this current tour?

It's a bummer that they are down to two original members, but they are playing an insane setlist.  Also, they have a great opening act, French metal band Gojira.

Jeff Murray

A buddy shared this site with me... this link is for the Red Fang HellFest France show, but there are links to other bands you guys talk about... Graveyard, Pallbearer, Orange Goblin...

Enjoy!

http://www.hellfest.fr/hellfest-tv.php?type=l
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??