Main Menu

Heavy Metal!!

Started by Ruckus, Apr 22, 2011, 09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrWhippy

Quote from: Jeff Murray on Nov 18, 2013, 06:37 PM
A buddy shared this site with me... this link is for the Red Fang HellFest France show, but there are links to other bands you guys talk about... Graveyard, Pallbearer, Orange Goblin...

Enjoy!

http://www.hellfest.fr/hellfest-tv.php?type=l

Thanks Jeff!  That's a serious gold mine.  In addition to the bands you mentioned, there are also sets on there by Neurosis, Yob, Melvins, Kylesa, Cult of Luna, Church of Misery, KEN Mode, and some other cool stuff as well.  Now I just need to clear a weekend or so on my schedule to watch it all.

Also, I guess by the lack of response no one else is catching the Slayer/Gojira tour.  Y'all are missing out, the sets by both bands I saw in Austin were amazing.  I wish  I could go see them again tonight here in DC, but I don't think it is to be.  Here's one pic from the Slayer set I saw last week.

My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

MrWhippy

I don't know if there are other Deafheaven fans on here, but they put out what it is in my opinion one of the best albums of the year with Sunbather. 

Here's a link to a black metal makeout mix put together by Deafheaven's vocalist.  If anyone gives it a try, please report back.

http://www.revolvermag.com/news/playlist-deafheaven-vocalist-george-clarkes-black-metal-make-out-mix.html

Tired Eyes

Decibel has released their list of the top 40 albums of 2013. 

1. Carcass - Surgical Steel
2. In Solitude - Sister
3. Gorguts - Colored Sands
4. SubRosa - More Constant Than The Gods
5. Inquisition - Obscure Verses For The Multiverse
6. Cult of Luna - Vertikal
7. Melt Banana - Fetch
8. Darkthrone - The Underground Resistance
9. Noisem - Agony Defined
10. Tribulation - The Formulas of Death
11. Deafheaven - Sunbather
12. Toxic Holocaust - Chemistry of Consciousness
13. Nails - Abandon All Life
14. Inter Arma - Sky Burial
15. Autopsy - The Headless Ritual
16. Secrets of the Sky - To Sail Black Waters
17. Purson - The Circle and the Blue Door
18. Lycus - Tempest
19. Ihsahn - Das Seelenbrechen
20. The Ruins of Beverast - Blood Vaults: The Blazing Gospel of Heinrich Kramer
21. Antigama - Meteor
22. Kylesa - Ultraviolet
23. Immolation - Kingdom of Conspiracy
24. Exhumed - Necrocracy
25. Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - Mind Control
26. Oranssi Pazuzu - Valonielu
27. Ulcerate - Vermis
28. Anciients - Heart of Oak
29. Craven Idol - Towards Eschaton
30. Iron Reagan - Worse Than Dead
31. Portal - Vexovoid
32. Coliseum - Sister Faith
33. Cathedral - The Last Spire
34. Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed
35. Noctum - Final Sacrifice
36. AEvangelist - Omen Ex Simulacra
37. Watain - The Wild Hunt
38. Corrections House - Last City Zero
39. Dark Tranquility - Construct
40. Batillus - Concrete Sustain

Tired Eyes

Quote from: MrWhippy on Nov 19, 2013, 05:15 AM
Quote from: Jeff Murray on Nov 18, 2013, 06:37 PM
A buddy shared this site with me... this link is for the Red Fang HellFest France show, but there are links to other bands you guys talk about... Graveyard, Pallbearer, Orange Goblin...

Enjoy!

http://www.hellfest.fr/hellfest-tv.php?type=l

Thanks Jeff!  That's a serious gold mine.  In addition to the bands you mentioned, there are also sets on there by Neurosis, Yob, Melvins, Kylesa, Cult of Luna, Church of Misery, KEN Mode, and some other cool stuff as well.  Now I just need to clear a weekend or so on my schedule to watch it all.

Also, I guess by the lack of response no one else is catching the Slayer/Gojira tour.  Y'all are missing out, the sets by both bands I saw in Austin were amazing.  I wish  I could go see them again tonight here in DC, but I don't think it is to be.  Here's one pic from the Slayer set I saw last week.

I saw the NYC show on November 27.  I thought it was really good.  It was weird to see Slayer without Jeff Hanneman (RIP), but Gary Holt of Exodus fame is excellent and did a great job. 

MrWhippy

Thanks Bill for posting that Decibel list.  What a great year 2013 has been for metal releases, and so much I still haven't heard. 

Congrats to Alien Lanes for Anciients ending up on the Decibel list, very cool.

Some good package tours have been announced for 2014 so far, with the Decibel tour featuring Carcass and Gorguts, and tours of Between the Buried and Me/Deafheaven/Intronaut and Russian Circles/KEN Mode/Inter Arma.

Tired Eyes

Quote from: MrWhippy on Dec 18, 2013, 06:34 PM
Some good package tours have been announced for 2014 so far, with the Decibel tour featuring Carcass and Gorguts, and tours of Between the Buried and Me/Deafheaven/Intronaut and Russian Circles/KEN Mode/Inter Arma.
Agreed.  There's also Amon Amarth/Enslaved/Skeletonwitch.  I hope to see a show on that tour.

MrWhippy

Quote from: Tired Eyes on Dec 19, 2013, 09:00 PM
Agreed.  There's also Amon Amarth/Enslaved/Skeletonwitch.  I hope to see a show on that tour.

Yep, that's another good one, Bill, though I was pretty unimpressed with Enslaved when I saw them.  I'd like to see Amon Amarth, though.

In other news, this is awesome.  Someone needs to do the same thing for Tool:

Every Dillinger Escape Plan Song Played At Once

wolof7

Can anyone recommend Mercyful Fate? They keep coming up as the first suggested band whenever I purchase other metal stuff. Never heard them.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

MrWhippy

Quote from: wolof7 on Jan 03, 2014, 08:40 AM
Can anyone recommend Mercyful Fate? They keep coming up as the first suggested band whenever I purchase other metal stuff. Never heard them.

The only thing I really know about Mercyful Fate is that it was the band that King Diamond was in.  I'm not a big fan of King Diamond's solo stuff, so I haven't been too inspired to check out Mercyful Fate.

There is a current Swedish metal band I like a good deal called In Solitude that is often compared to Mercyful Fate, for what that is worth.  In Solitude put out a very good album last year called Sister.

Fully

Quote from: MrWhippy on Nov 25, 2013, 02:35 PM
I don't know if there are other Deafheaven fans on here, but they put out what it is in my opinion one of the best albums of the year with Sunbather. 

Here's a link to a black metal makeout mix put together by Deafheaven's vocalist.  If anyone gives it a try, please report back.

http://www.revolvermag.com/news/playlist-deafheaven-vocalist-george-clarkes-black-metal-make-out-mix.html

Now that I'm obsessed with Sunbather, I'll have to listen to this too. I can't imagine black metal make out music, but I could never imagine that I'd get so excited about this album either.

MrWhippy

Quote from: Fully on Jan 05, 2014, 01:31 PM

Now that I'm obsessed with Sunbather, I'll have to listen to this too. I can't imagine black metal make out music, but I could never imagine that I'd get so excited about this album either.

Definitely report back if you give it a try, Fully.  No way that black metal will ever inspire a make out session around my house.

Also, did you see that Deafheaven is playing in Nashville in Feb?

Fully

Quote from: MrWhippy on Jan 05, 2014, 06:00 PM
Quote from: Fully on Jan 05, 2014, 01:31 PM

Definitely report back if you give it a try, Fully.  No way that black metal will ever inspire a make out session around my house.

Also, did you see that Deafheaven is playing in Nashville in Feb?

I did. I'm thinking I'll go.

MrWhippy

Fully

This makes me sad.

alienlanes

Quote from: wolof7 on Jan 03, 2014, 08:40 AM

Melissa is one of the greatest metal albums of all time. It is their debut album, it came out in 1983, and it is just as incredible today as it was upon its release.

Their second album Don't Break the Oath is also very good, but Melissa will always be my favourite MF album

Anyway, you can test-drive Melissa on youtube before you buy it. Here's a link to the whole album. I am going to go listen to it right now

Mercyful Fate - Melissa (Full Album) 1983 (25th Anniversary Reissue)

alienlanes

Quote from: Fully on Sep 08, 2013, 11:54 AM
Whippy took me to my first real metal show last night at Hopscotch Fest. I liked it more than I thought I would. I would definitely go again, although I have to say that Whippy helped with all his knowledge of what we watched. We saw Inter Arma, Evoken, and Sleep. I enjoyed the first two enough that I would go to another show. Sleep, however, blew me away!! It was just fucking awesome! Granted I've listened to them some before and thanks to Ruckus, I've been interested in Om-Al Cisneros' band. It was interesting to see how different what he does with Sleep although there is a little overlap. He does stuff with a bass that I've not seen before.

I know this is an ultra-late reply but WOW! What a show to go to for your first metal show! Glad to hear you loved it

Fully

Quote from: alienlanes on Feb 01, 2014, 12:34 PM
Whippy took me to my first real metal show last night at Hopscotch Fest. I liked it more than I thought I would. I would definitely go again, although I have to say that Whippy helped with all his knowledge of what we watched. We saw Inter Arma, Evoken, and Sleep. I enjoyed the first two enough that I would go to another show. Sleep, however, blew me away!! It was just fucking awesome! Granted I've listened to them some before and thanks to Ruckus, I've been interested in Om-Al Cisneros' band. It was interesting to see how different what he does with Sleep although there is a little overlap. He does stuff with a bass that I've not seen before.

I know this is an ultra-late reply but WOW! What a show to go to for your first metal show! Glad to hear you loved it
Whippy and Ruckus even have me exploring metal bands, Sean. So far, I like Deafheaven, love Russian Circles and Electric Wizard. I don't care for Carcass, and the jury is still out on Agalloch. I mostly don't enjoy the vocals. I already loved Sleep way before I saw them last fall.

wolof7

Quote from: Fully on Feb 01, 2014, 02:45 PM

Quote from: alienlanes on Feb 01, 2014, 12:34 PM

Whippy and Ruckus even have me exploring metal bands, Sean. So far, I like Deafheaven, love Russian Circles and Electric Wizard. I don't care for Carcass, and the jury is still out on Agalloch. I mostly don't enjoy the vocals. I already loved Sleep way before I saw them last fall.

Fully, I suggest Windhand, Pallbearer, Red Fang, Mastodon, Ghost B.C., The Sword and Pelican if you havent explored them yet. It seems our metal tastes overlap. Windhand - Soma was my favorite metal release last year.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Fully

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been surprised by how much I am enjoying this music. It has a complexity that rivals symphonic music in many ways. It also isn't as much of a one trick pony as I had always assumed it was. Way too stereotypical I was in what I thought metal was. I'm just beginning to skin the surface of what seems to be a multiple different styles of this genre of.music.

alienlanes

This was posted in late December over at my metal webzine, www.hellbound.ca, but I thought I'd reprint it here. This is my top 10 metal albums of 2013:

1. PENTAGRAM CHILE – The Malefice (Cyclone Empire/Metal Blade)
2. GORGUTS – Colored Sands (Season Of Mist)
3. SATAN – Life Sentence (Listenable)
4. VOIVOD – Target Earth (Century Media)
5. MOTORHEAD – Aftershock (UDR)
6. CLUTCH – Earth Rocker (Weathermaker Music)
7. VHOL – Vhol (Profound Lore)
8. FATES WARNING – Darkness In A Different Light (Inside Out)
9. EXHUMED – Necrocracy (Relapse)
10. BLACK SABBATH – 13 (Vertigo/Universal)