The Dark Side of Circuital

Started by Ruckus, Apr 26, 2011, 01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

Quote from: el_chode on Apr 26, 2011, 09:53 AM
I think my sentiments are more in line with Masterplan. The first time you hear it, it's not like you're all "BEST SONG EVAR" but this is pretty cool. Then as you listen to it more and more, you just get it.

For some reason, after hearing the Thai Pop version, I got it.

And, for what it's worth, I love Highly Suspicious and agree that stylistically this is like it's bad ass older brother.

this is spot on to me. Master Plan definitely grew on me. At first it was the only song I would skip when listening to ISM, but now it's one of my favorites. Circuital was an instant love song, but after listening to BM about 25 times in the past 24 hours I think BM is a better song.

Also I agree with tbd about the EU tracks. Nothing so far on this record has felt forced, I've just loved it.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Ruckus

Quote from: slimsloslider on Apr 26, 2011, 10:53 AM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 26, 2011, 07:11 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 26, 2011, 01:15 AMI'm still not in love with Black Metal but I feel it will be a live killer!  I wonder if the live chorus will be organic or Bo samples.

agree and wondering, too

i think as fans its our obligation and duty to make it organic.
Agreed Slim :thumbsup:
I don't know if you remember meeting me at McGees but I remembered your name to be 'Mike.'  When I got to the venue, I made it up towards the rail and there was dude that looked exactly like you on the rail.  I proceeded to say, "what's up Mike?"  I was ignored.  I pestered him a bit later with a pat on the shoudler and another, "Ready to rock Mike!?" With a crazed look in my eyes.  He proceeded to squeak back emphatically, "I'm NOT MIKE!" and stormed to the right a few feet.  'A' Game right there. 8)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

Quote from: My Morning Tube top on Apr 26, 2011, 12:52 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Apr 26, 2011, 10:59 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 26, 2011, 08:50 AM
Quote from: rincon on Apr 26, 2011, 08:46 AM
Quote from: wakebord on Apr 26, 2011, 07:33 AM
i love black metal...i think this is the path they started down with highly suspicious but figured out over 3 years how to really make it catchy and groovy, as opposed to just a funky song that people love/hate.

i imagine bo will do a lot of sampling on this one, but you'd have to think that they'd want a live horn section rather than sampling that on top of the female choir.  which would hopefully mean people get dancefloors, easy morning rebel, and maybe even ONE BIG HOLIDAY with horns!
Why? That would be like when I saw Steely Dan after they had not played in over 20 years. they did Reeling in the Years in a jazz mode with a sax solo instead of a guitar. THEY SUCKED.
You know...like the one they played at T5?  A couple of people liked it a little bit.

I just can't wait til they're 30 years into thier career and they start reggaeing that shit out  8)

Like, how awesome would it be to hear a reggaed out version of Phone Went West?  ::)

I feel like they totally reggaed out Phone Went West at T5. I love me some Reggae  ;)
My Morning Jacket - Phone Went West - Terminal 5 - 10-19-10

Ruckus I love your banter and hope to get to rock out next to your ear to ear smile ;D at a show this summer and what would this site be without El Chode...lol

I am loving it all, anticipation and teasing of song releases it's like great foreplay! Hey Oh!
Oh we shall rock again Jen!  Really look forward to it.  I was going to type nothing but effusive praise until I read the foreplay joke.

DaFunkyPrecedent

Ideal Encore now.

Wordless -> Black Metal -> Highly Suspicious -> Touch Me Pt II

Boo Yeah!
God damn those shaky knees.

moses malone

black metal sounds like an ELO song to me.

Tracy 2112

When I heard Black Metal, I thought it was this song:

The Hollies - The Air That I Breathe
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

darkglow

based on what we've heard thru releases and read in reviews and interviews.. this album is probably going to be a pretty good balance between stretched out soaring vocals from jim with powerful guitar jams to the jagged, tightened up experimental side of MMJ that we've all grown to love because it throws us for a loop.. always keeps us coming back to see what's next. "Black metal" naysayers can only come up with the argument that it's not "original" enough or organic enough because it's borrowed. I applaud the band in their ability to pay hommage to their musical inspirations and still find a way to make it into their own beast. I think only a paraplegic would be caught not moving their ass to that song playing thru stereo speakers much less hear it being played live from a band that you know will transfer it well into the live setting.

slimsloslider

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 26, 2011, 02:51 PM
Quote from: slimsloslider on Apr 26, 2011, 10:53 AM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 26, 2011, 07:11 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 26, 2011, 01:15 AMI'm still not in love with Black Metal but I feel it will be a live killer!  I wonder if the live chorus will be organic or Bo samples.

agree and wondering, too

i think as fans its our obligation and duty to make it organic.
Agreed Slim :thumbsup:
I don't know if you remember meeting me at McGees but I remembered your name to be 'Mike.'  When I got to the venue, I made it up towards the rail and there was dude that looked exactly like you on the rail.  I proceeded to say, "what's up Mike?"  I was ignored.  I pestered him a bit later with a pat on the shoudler and another, "Ready to rock Mike!?" With a crazed look in my eyes.  He proceeded to squeak back emphatically, "I'm NOT MIKE!" and stormed to the right a few feet.  'A' Game right there. 8)

haha! that's freaking classic! yeah, i had to hang back in the middle of the floor to meet up with some other friends. that definitely wasn't me.

Randall

Like, how awesome would it be to hear a reggaed out version of Phone Went West?  ::)
I've been digging this as of late:
Easy Star All Stars- Let Down
Radiodread featuring Kirsty Rock-Paranoid Android
It is from an album called Radiodread (the entire OK Computer album covered by Reggae All-Stars).  Maybe they'll tackle an MMJ album...

woodnymph

Quote from: Randall on Apr 30, 2011, 10:53 PM

I've been digging this as of late:
Easy Star All Stars- Let Down
Radiodread featuring Kirsty Rock-Paranoid Android
It is from an album called Radiodread (the entire OK Computer album covered by Reggae All-Stars).  Maybe they'll tackle an MMJ album...
Whoooaaaaa I love the Easy Star All-Stars!!!  They do reggae Floyd too, it's pretty cool!  If there were two bands I would never have envisioned being turned into reggae..........

I saw them play Radiodread and Dub Side of the Moon live in '06 at Allgood Fest, it was a sweet time

I'd be all over a Reggae-fied Jacket album  8)
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

youreveningcoat

I reckon Circuital is a really good song, Black Metal has a good kick ass sound to it too.  I can see why people don't like it though it's a weird type of music :P but I fricken love it!
Do not spray into eyes, I have sprayed you into my eyes

Ruckus

So I definitely agree with what everyone has said.

MarkW

Quote from: Ruckus on May 16, 2011, 10:34 AM

I don't at all.  Particularly your comments, whatever they were.

I think I'm getting the hang of this.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Ruckus

Quote from: MarkW on May 16, 2011, 11:27 AM

:-\

MarkW

Quote from: Ruckus on May 16, 2011, 06:32 PM

Note to self:  light-hearted banter hardly ever comes across correctly on the interwebs.  :embarassed:

Note to others: do yourself a favour and buy the Thai Soul CD - it's full of killer tunes, and will help to fill the time until 31 May.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Ruckus

Quote from: MarkW on May 16, 2011, 06:51 PM

Note to self:  light-hearted banter hardly ever comes across correctly on the interwebs.  :embarassed:

Note to others: do yourself a favour and buy the Thai Soul CD - it's full of killer tunes, and will help to fill the time until 31 May.
C'mon Mark! ;D. Gimme some credit
Course I knew you were playin'

Note to others:  That Thai Soul CD is indeed a great time!

Tracy 2112

It's OK that I don't like Thai Soul music, right? Thisn't some new hipster trend where all these Thai Soul experts are going to come out of the woodwork and dropping fashionable Thai phrases at the next MMJ show while throwing glow sticks at the lead singer

Ruckus

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 16, 2011, 07:06 PM

It's OK that I don't like Thai Soul music, right? Thisn't some new hipster trend where all these Thai Soul experts are going to come out of the woodwork and dropping fashionable Thai phrases at the next MMJ show while throwing glow sticks at the lead singer
They would probably throw Chinese firecrackers because you know, they're more Asian than glowsticks

Tracy 2112

Googles thai soul music glow stick:

sweatboard

"It's Getting Spicy In Here" 
There's Still Time.........