Main Menu

New here!

Started by shakermaker05, May 01, 2011, 02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shakermaker05

Greetings all, this is my 1st post   :  )

I've been a MMJ fan since the release of It Still Moves.  I was lucky enough to see them at the Grog Shop in Cleveland, Ohio with a crowd of about 50 people during the promoting tour for ISM!  It remains to this day one of the top shows I've seen and I've seen some dandees!.

During this years record store day I stumbled across one of the pic discs of ISM and I picked it up.  This purchase made me dig back into my MMJ catalogue and reconnect with it which consists of

-It Still Moves  (My favourite)
-Z
-Evil Urges

After creeping around on here I've noticed they have a lot of EP's and other material I don't have and I want to start getting my hands on some of it!  One EP in particular caught my eye and thats Acoustic Citsuoco.  I noticed though it's a live recording and I've always shied away from live albums in the past.  I just usually find them as kind of a novelty and don't really connect to them like I do studio material. 

I also noticed high praise for the Okonokos disc which is also a live album.  Would you guys recommend starting with these live recordings even though I've never really been into live or going for the At Dawn album and other studio recordings??

My Morning Jacket: 2003-Cleveland, OH
My Morning Jacket: 2005-Cleveland, OH

Tracy 2112

At Dawn is one of my favorite releases from any band ever.

I am 47.

I am a Capricorn.

Welcome to the board.  :)
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

headhunter

At Dawn is an all-time favorite but Okonokos is the GREATEST live album (imo) and the perfect introduction into everything MMJ. A must own!

Acoustic Citsuoco is simply beautiful acoustic mmj and my favorite ep.   Both are addictive.  Treat yourself and you wont regret it.

Welcome to the board and our community.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

johnnYYac

Welcome.  What they said. ^^^
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

SaraBananaBear

Happy first post and welcome to the forum! It's all brilliant stuff, but I say go for Okonokos! :)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

bigkidfallsdown.com

Watch the Okonokos DVD - it never, ever gets old.
11.10.07 Knoxville, TN • Bonnarroo '08 • MoF 10.31.09 Louisville, KY • 8.17.10 Chicago, IL

e_wind

At Dawn is a must have if you love studio work, but nothing exists in this world like Okonokos.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

shakermaker05

Well you guys aren't going to make this easy on my wallet :   )  Looks like I'm just going have to buy 'em all!  I just ordered At Dawn off Amazon.  I don't know anything off it except Low Down which is one of my favourite songs they do!   I am ultra psyched to get it!!

I'm curious....what is the majority opinion on here as to the best mmj album.  It seems a lot of love going on for AD and from what I gather EU is kinda the ugly ducking of the bunch.  Where does Tennessee Fire, ISM & Z rank?

e_wind

If you're looking to keep it easy on the wallet, you shouldn't ask what you should pick up from a band on their fan forum  ;)

There are several good free legal sound board recordings from special shows like New Years Eve 2006. Also head over to the steamengine.blogspot.com (I don't know if thats the link, i usually just google search the steam engine blogspot) and you can find tons of great free legal shows. If you look at that find the 2 Meter Sessions... some really great recordings of early work. But still, buy Okonokos on DVD or CD.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

shakermaker05

Quote from: e_wind on May 01, 2011, 04:21 PM
If you're looking to keep it easy on the wallet, you shouldn't ask what you should pick up from a band on their fan forum  ;)

LOL very good point!   I'm not complaining though I love buying and collecting music so you guys are just steering me in the right direction.   

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: shakermaker05 on May 01, 2011, 04:15 PM
Well you guys aren't going to make this easy on my wallet :   )  Looks like I'm just going have to buy 'em all!  I just ordered At Dawn off Amazon.  I don't know anything off it except Low Down which is one of my favourite songs they do!   I am ultra psyched to get it!!

I'm curious....what is the majority opinion on here as to the best mmj album.  It seems a lot of love going on for AD and from what I gather EU is kinda the ugly ducking of the bunch.  Where does Tennessee Fire, ISM & Z rank?

If EU is the ugly duckling (I passionately disagree with that opinion) here on the forum, then at least that's not the case everywhere. Say for example on Tumblr, which is one of my favorite places on the interweb, EU is generally featured more often than the other albums. Anyway, I can't rank them, love them all equally, though obviously the recording process has been refined during the years. :thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

tdb810

Yer wallet will never be the same :)
Welcome to the boards!!!!
.....Back at the Model Home

Ruckus

Here's a scientifically legit study
http://www.mymorningjacket.com/forum/index.php?topic=4818.msg65296#msg65296
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

DaFunkyPrecedent

At Dawn is the one album I would choose if I were stuck on a deserted island.

My Top 5 Modern Day Masterpieces (in no particular order)

- Radiohead - "Kid A"
- My Morning Jacket - "At Dawn"
- Burial - "Untrue"
- Outkast - "Aquemni"
- Arcade Fire - "Funeral"
God damn those shaky knees.

shakermaker05

[[/quote]
[/quote]

Oh, thanks for posting this!   This is exactly what I was looking for.  Just to clarify- I was not suggesting that I thought EU was a bad album.  I think it's really good, but just from what I read on here I got the impression that a lot of people didn't hold it in as high regard as some of the other albums  :   )

I cannot wait to get At Dawn after hearing all you guys talk about it!!   I always thought ISM was their first album and had no clue about the 2 before it.  I just thought AD was an EP and I never even heard of Tennessee Fire. 

johnnYYac

Quote from: Ruckus on May 01, 2011, 06:08 PM

I can't believe I didn't contribute to that stats orgy.  I think I was just joining this crazy place back in fall of '09.  We should start it up again, or wait a few months to see where Circuital will fall.  I'm sure this changes for me from time to time, but right now I'd rank 'em

1. ISM 
2. AD 
3. Z 
4. EU 
5. TTF

I'd buy all these, preorder Circuital, get Acoustic Citsuoca and Okonokos, and download a new show from Jason's The Steam Engine or Live Music Archive at least once weekly. 

YungYave

I honestly think The Tennessee Fire is their best album, slightly ahead of It Still Moves and Z. It's just so raw, the type of album you can listen to straight through without any complaints.
his arms were thin, and off into the night they ran

johnnYYac

Quote from: YungYave on May 02, 2011, 11:47 AM

I honestly think The Tennessee Fire is their best album, slightly ahead of It Still Moves and Z. It's just so raw, the type of album you can listen to straight through without any complaints.
Hey, when I ranked 'em yesterday, I couldn't believe I put TTF last.  I guess it was more the order in which I listen to them these days.  Its constantly changing.  EU was almost always listed last but it got a lot of listens recently.

Crispy

In terms of your wallet, yes, you will need to go ahead and destroy it and get everything, especially the EPs Chocolate & Ice and the split with Songs: Ohia. Then there's Acoustic Citsuoca, Live at the Palms, and Celebracion de la Ciudad Natal. Then you have to get the AD/TTF demo package too, because LIL BILLY! And the Early Recordings, because TYRONE! (as well as everything else on those)

Besides the complete glory of Okonokos, both the record and DVD, there are Acoustic Chorale and the official Bonnaroo releases that must be acquired. And then there's the Okonokos Project! Live MMJ is a different animal, and provides an experience distinct from the sounds on the studio records.

You will then want to seek out the early live material that is available: the 2 Meter Sessies, The WFPK Live Lunches (oh my goodness gracious), the XMas Fiasco and WFPK XMas collections.  Subscribe to The Steam Engine!

Then give thanks that it never ends -- not just with MMJ, but with all of the other music you will learn about through this pipeline. Welcome!
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

headhunter

Quote from: Crispy on May 02, 2011, 12:52 PM
In terms of your wallet, yes, you will need to go ahead and destroy it and get everything, especially the EPs Chocolate & Ice and the split with Songs: Ohia. Then there's Acoustic Citsuoca, Live at the Palms, and Celebracion de la Ciudad Natal. Then you have to get the AD/TTF demo package too, because LIL BILLY! And the Early Recordings, because TYRONE! (as well as everything else on those)

Besides the complete glory of Okonokos, both the record and DVD, there are Acoustic Chorale and the official Bonnaroo releases that must be acquired. And then there's the Okonokos Project! Live MMJ is a different animal, and provides an experience distinct from the sounds on the studio records.

You will then want to seek out the early live material that is available: the 2 Meter Sessies, The WFPK Live Lunches (oh my goodness gracious), the XMas Fiasco and WFPK XMas collections.  Subscribe to The Steam Engine!

Then give thanks that it never ends -- not just with MMJ, but with all of the other music you will learn about through this pipeline. Welcome!

I highly suggest you listen to Crispy.  He is a wise man who speaketh the truth.  He can help lead you on the road to musical salvation.
was some shakin' and some record playin'